Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Smash Bros. Discussion
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:42 am 

I've been trying not to spend too much money on games lately, but Smash Bros. is going to force me to cave in and buy the Switch, because good grief this is huge. Sakurai has been paying a lot of attention to what his fanbase has been looking for, and it really shows through every step of the Nintendo Directs.

First, it's pretty clear from the offset that the team has been trying to make the game better suited for competitive play and less frustrating for veterans; damage scales inversely with player count, balancing the 1v1s against the 8 player FFAs, and the changes they've made to dodging and aerial landing lag make for a much faster game that better rewards aggressive play. All stages now have battlefield and FD formations, you can switch hazards on and off, and only a dozen or so stages from previous games are even missing (most of them redundant), so I don't think I could be any happier with the stage selection thus far.

As for characters, Ridley is hot and all, but can we talk about how absolutely wicked Simon Belmont looks? I had no idea how badly I needed him to be a playable character until I saw his moveset in action; Sakurai gave him the Mega Man treatment, where he controls and functions exactly as he did in his original games, especially with consideration to the special weapon mechanics and the whole gameplay meta of Simon timing/spacing his whip attacks. Friggin'... half of his moves destroy projectiles, just like in Castlevania. He even has that hardcore walk animation from the NES titles. I'm already in love with it.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:53 am 

Xelrog wrote:
Luckytime wrote:
However, is it just me or are there ENTIRELY too many Fire Emblem characters now? I mean there were already too many before today but with Chrom now being announced I think it's getting a little absurd. Is it that popular? Maybe it's just me.

As someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game, I agree and think there have always been way too many FE characters. But people who play the games? They eat them up. Apparently there were a substantial number of FE fans who were upset that Chrom wasn't in the last game, even though he's yet another swordsman who would presumably play very similarly to Marth/Roy/Ike. I'm pretty sure nobody, FE fan or not, asked for Corrin, though.

Fire Emblem is one of Smash Bros' cash cows, so they have a lot of incentive to listen to the FE fanbase. Ironically, Corrin as a newcomer actually made the most sense out of all the recent FE characters, precisely because of how dramatically different his gameplay was from the other swordsmen. It's the same reason Greninja was placed into Sm4sh -- not just to advertise the new Pokemon game, but because the character itself opens up a lot of design space for unique playstyles and mechanics.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:41 am 

Smokey Joe wrote:
It's the same reason Greninja was placed into Sm4sh -- not just to advertise the new Pokemon game, but because the character itself opens up a lot of design space for unique playstyles and mechanics.

I can see where you're coming from with Corrin, but naw. Greninja's just there because Ash has one, and there's an obligatory current-gen pogey in every Smash. :P

I haven't watched the Sun/Moon anime but I'd bet anything that's where a new one's coming from this time around. People seem to be anticipating the owl. I guess an aerial archery character could be cool and unique. :rocco:

I don't think I've talked about K. Rool in this thread yet. Between him and Chrom, that's a couple characters who seem largely like conglomerations of existing characters. Fortunately for me, K. Rool's borrowed moves come from a bunch of my mains and subs, so I'm totally cool with that.

He's got Ganondorf's Fair (as has Bair), Bowser's Bair (as his Fair), Ganon's Dair, Bowser's Ftilt, not to mention a throwable projectile, a counter, and a pretty decent-looking recovery. He's like the ungodly combination of Ganondorf and Peach I never thought was possible. :ayla:

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:12 am 

Xelrog wrote:
Smokey Joe wrote:
It's the same reason Greninja was placed into Sm4sh -- not just to advertise the new Pokemon game, but because the character itself opens up a lot of design space for unique playstyles and mechanics.

I can see where you're coming from with Corrin, but naw. Greninja's just there because Ash has one, and there's an obligatory current-gen pogey in every Smash. :P

Sure, I'm not saying that doesn't factor into his inclusion. I'm just saying that whenever Sakurai adds new characters, it usually rests on the fact that they either a) add something new to the table (Mega Man, Little Mac, Cloud etc.) or b) are really easy to develop (Lucina, Dark Pit, most clones/echoes basically).

Chrom obviously falls into the latter category. Greninja is like a unique blend of Sheik's speed, Falco's jump, and Mario's FLUDD, and that still is an oversimplification of his moveset, so he's more of the former.

Quote:
I don't think I've talked about K. Rool in this thread yet. Between him and Chrom, that's a couple characters who seem largely like conglomerations of existing characters. Fortunately for me, K. Rool's borrowed moves come from a bunch of my mains and subs, so I'm totally cool with that.

He's got Ganondorf's Fair (as has Bair), Bowser's Bair (as his Fair), Ganon's Dair, Bowser's Ftilt, not to mention a throwable projectile, a counter, and a pretty decent-looking recovery. He's like the ungodly combination of Ganondorf and Peach I never thought was possible. :ayla:

Apparently some of his moves have pretty decent super armor, so that's also something to consider.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 am 

Dedede got posted on the site today. Looks like he can now do his lay-down roll backwards as well as forwards, and he can eat and spit out Gordos. I'm actually not positive he couldn't do that in Smash 4, not sure I've ever tried.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:54 pm 

I think eating Gordos may have already been a thing, but spitting them out is definitely new.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:16 am 

I tried the other day and wasn't able to do it, even when someone sent one back at me. So that's new.

Zelda buffs are nice. Her new infinite(?) neutral, buffed tele, and Din's Fire that doesn't eat up her recovery are nice improvements. The utility of being able to leave the spirit armor to do its own thing while she moves around is nice, I guess, but it's still going to be a hard sell to me for that whole down-B not to be garbage.

I'm still very mixed about Ganondorf's new smashes. It's cool that he uses his sword, aesthetically, I just wish his move's weren't just ripped right off of Ike. Not a fan of Ike's slow-as-molasses smashes. The only thing I'm looking forward to there is Ganon having some disjointment, but having to trade that off for even more speed... ehhh...

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:37 pm 

If you want a good analysis series, Pushblock gaming does a pretty comprehensive breakdown of characters using clips of gameplay online. He did 7 characters so far: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWiq0i_vG_3-csQh_uwM8B4fPNVbAlmdm

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:15 am 

Those are the ones I've watched for Ganondorf and Zelda.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:08 am 

Considering how much power Ganondorf has in most of his aerials, you technically don't even need smashes. While the changes to him thus far are nice, I think the biggest buff to him is going to be the reduced landing lag that comes with Ultimate's universal physics changes.