Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Post subject: The Russia World Cup 2018 Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm 

Tomorrow, 14 June 2018, the World Cup will be starting! It’s being held in Russia this year, a country that has aroused quite a fair share of controversy during the lead up to the World Cup. Below I have placed timings. I have also provided a link that shows what countries will be participating this year.

Senegal’s out. My guys are out smh. :fist:
Well they had a good run at least! Hope to see them in 2022 maybe! Also Germany’s out in knockout stage! Also Argentina and Portugal and Spain! A good year for underdogs this has been. Good we be having a new winner this year?
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/

All timings are in Moscow Standard Time, UTC/GMT+3.

14/06:
Russia Vs. Saudi Arabia: 5-0

15/06:
Egypt Vs. Uruguay: 0-1
Morocco Vs. Iran: 0-1
Portugal Vs. Spain: 3-3

16/06:
France Vs. Australia: 2-1
Argentina Vs. Iceland: 1-1
Peru Vs. Denmark: 0-1
Croatia Vs. Nigeria: 2-0

17/06:
Costa Rica Vs. Serbia: 0-1
Germany Vs. Mexico: 0-1
Brazil Vs. Switzerland: 1-1

18/06:
Sweden Vs. South Korea: 1-0
Belgium Vs. Panama: 3-0
Tunisia Vs. England: 1-2

19/06:
Colombia Vs. Japan: 2-1
Poland Vs. Senegal: 1-2
Russia Vs. Egypt: 3-1

20/06:
Portugal Vs. Morocco: 1-0
Uruguay Vs. Saudi Arabia: 1-0
Iran Vs. Spain: 0-1

21/06:
Denmark Vs. Australia: 1-1
France Vs. Peru: 1-0
Argentina Vs. Croatia: 0-3

22/06:
Brazil Vs. Costa Rica: 2-0
Nigeria Vs. Iceland: 2-0
Serbia Vs. Switzerland: 1-2

23/06:
Belgium Vs. Tunisia: 5-2
South Korea Vs. Mexico: 1-2
Germany Vs. Sweden: 2-1

24/06:
England Vs. Panama: 6-1
Japan Vs. Senegal: 2-2
Poland Vs. Colombia: 0-3

25/06:
Saudi Arabia Vs. Egypt: 2-1
Uruguay Vs. Russia: 3-0
Portugal Vs. Iran: 1-1
Spain Vs. Morocco: 2-2

26/06:
Australia Vs. Peru: 0-2
Denmark Vs. France: 0-0
Nigeria Vs. Argentina: 2-1
Iceland Vs. Croatia: 2-1

27/06:
Mexico Vs. Sweden: 0-3
South Korea Vs. Germany: 2-0
Switzerland Vs. Costa Rica: 2-2
Serbia Vs. Brazil: 0-2

28/06:
Senegal Vs. Colombia: 0-1
Japan Vs. Poland: 0-1
England Vs. Belgium: 0-1
Panama Vs. Tunisia: 1-2

29/06:
Nothing! Break Day!

30/06:
France Vs. Argentina: 4-3
Uruguay Vs. Portugal: 2-1

1/07:
Spain Vs. Russia: 1(3)-1(4) Penalties
Croatia Vs. Denmark: 1(3)-1(2) Penalties

2/07:
Brazil Vs. Mexico at 5:00 PM.
Belgium Vs. Japan at 9:00 PM.

Who will you all be rooting for? My country hasn’t qualified, but during a draw, I got Senegal I’ll be cheering them on!
Feel free to discuss whatever there is about the World Cup.

Last edited by AusomPossum on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:14 am, edited 14 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Russia World Cup 2018 Thread
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 am 

Screw football!
There are cops on every square inch of the entire city suspecting everyone's a terrorist, half of the roads are closed, soon there will be crowds of drunk idiots walking around....
There are some guaranteed consequences after the Cup also - the crysis because some jerks have stolen so much money during preparations we could buy a small european country instead.

Screw football! Screw corruption! Screw it all... :facepalm:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 am 

ScR wrote:
Screw football!
There are cops on every square inch of the entire city suspecting everyone's a terrorist, half of the roads are closed, soon there will be crowds of drunk idiots walking around....
There are some guaranteed consequences after the Cup also - the crysis because some jerks have stolen so much money during preparations we could buy a small european country instead.

Damn cops making sure fights and * don't break out! I just want to shank a * in peace, dammit

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:50 pm 

Uiomancant wrote:
ScR wrote:
Screw football!

Damn cops making sure fights and * don't break out! I just want to shank a * in peace, dammit

You should try going to Portugal for your next holiday/vacation. He have good weather, cheap food, cheap housing and some lovely jogging spots. Here's a good one:

https://www.record.pt/multimedia/videos ... istas.html

Meh, local authorities and public safety are overrated. They just get in the way of the sickest parties around, they're a bunch of over-glorified party poopers if you ask me.

EDIT: i don't have that much faith in Portugal because, whenever we get super HYPED and start thinking that we are potential winners, the team underperforms massively. That more or less explains how we managed to win the Euro, we had no expectations and it came out of nowhere.
Plus, the whole "terrorists have invaded Alcochete" debacle will probably affect the team in some way, shape or form.

I believe either France or Argentina will win but Brazil and Germany are strong contenders as well. Spain... i'd put them in the same tier as Portugal given the recent controversies. Could do pretty well or go down in flames, 50/50 odds.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 pm 

ScR wrote:
Screw football!

I can imagine that the police presence is quite large now in Russia where the games are being held. It’s quite important for the World Cup to go as smoothly as possible for the image of the country. As a result, the police might be more stringent than they usually are. Of course, the World Cup (and really, sports in general) usually attracts corruption and people willing to illegally profit off of the event.

monkeybusiness wrote:
You should try going to Portugal for your next holiday/vacation. He have good weather, cheap food, cheap housing and some lovely jogging spots. Here's a good one:

https://www.record.pt/multimedia/videos ... istas.html

Meh, local authorities and public safety are overrated. They just get in the way of the sickest parties around, they're a bunch of over-glorified party poopers if you ask me.

EDIT: i don't have that much faith in Portugal because, whenever we get super HYPED and start thinking that we are potential winners, the team underperforms massively. That more or less explains how we managed to win the Euro, we had no expectations and it came out of nowhere.
Plus, the whole "terrorists have invaded Alcochete" debacle will probably affect the team in some way, shape or form.

I believe either France or Argentina will win but Brazil and Germany are strong contenders as well. Spain... i'd put them in the same tier as Portugal given the recent controversies. Could do pretty well or go down in flames, 50/50 odds.

Portugal looks like a nice country to visit; the Eurovision Song Contest held there earlier this year convinced me. It’s a peaceful country with beautiful natural sights and good food (natas I can attest to are quite good).

Those are good predictions; the usual contenders. I can’t really draw any predictions myself yet as I haven’t been keeping up with any of the teams yet. Though I’d like to ask, what’s the Alcochete incident you mentioned?

Post subject: Re: The Russia World Cup 2018 Thread; Russia won Vs Saudi Ar
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 pm 

A group of masked hoodlums have invaded Alcochete which functions as the premiere training grounds of Sporting Clube de Portugal's male senior football team and, also, as a prestigious and award winning youth academy after a disappointing defeat vs Marítimo (2 days earlier) which made us lose the Champions League playoff to our rivals Sport Lisboa e Benfica in the last match of the Primeira Liga - that would have been bad on its own... if not for the fact they've also assaulted the squad in the process. Shocking.

Bruno de Carvalho's (Sporting's president) choice of words was less than stellar, referring to the squad as "spoiled brats who don't work nearly as hard as they should and have no right the bear the badge" after the dreadful exhibition and result vs Marítimo. This was only one of many inflamatory Facebook comments/posts made by BdC over the years which started targeting Sporting's football squad specifically over the last 2-3 months. While BdC's speech has always been hyper-agressive from day one, no one could possibly have predicted this outcome...

All of this mayhem and turmoil has culminated with several players resigning while claiming that not only does te club not offer them suitable practice and safety conditions, they also believe this invasion may have been planned by the President or the Commitee - the hoodlums are tied to Juve Leo, a bunch of supporters who have close ties to Bruno de Carvalho (current President and former Juve Leo member). Several of these players have already been linked to Benfica and, to be honest, i can't blame the players for wanting to leave.

As if all that's not enough, there is a lot of backstage politics going on with the club - we are now split in two factions, the Brunistas who support the President through the thick and thin and the Croquetes (mostly used as a derrogatory term) who wield a lot of influence in the club, be it connections to banks, investors, sponsorships and other high profile positions who believe BdC's run out of time and favor.

Right now, no one really knows what's going to happen. Whether the President leaves, the players leave, the club's ability (or lack of) to renegotiate its current debts with the banks/investors, no new manager in sight, no suitable candidates to replace BdC... i could go on but you can more or less see what's going on here.

TL; DR - President publicly shames squad (repeatedly) after bad results in key matches; group of hoodlums invade the training facilities and assault the squad; 8 players (at the moment) decide to resign after realising that BdC wouldn't quit; the Commitee attempts to impeach the President; President still refuses to leave; no suitable candidates in sight to replace him; chaos ensues.

You should try coming to Madeira if that's the case, it's a nice, wee place. It's a small island but it's pretty safe and it has pretty good scenery. Bolo do Caco > Pasteis de Nata, every day of the week.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:19 am 

AusomPossum wrote:
I can imagine that the police presence is quite large now in Russia where the games are being held. It’s quite important for the World Cup to go as smoothly as possible for the image of the country. As a result, the police might be more stringent than they usually are. Of course, the World Cup (and really, sports in general) usually attracts corruption and people willing to illegally profit off of the event.

That's not what's going on, unfortunately. One fourth of the population (of 140M total) are more or less police (authorities/military). So their presense at quantities given doesn't really change anything except their ability to mock the citizens another time. The guests are safe whatsoever, so the "country image" won't become worse. During yesterdays match we got some legislative amendments, including increase of retirement age by 4 years and VAT increase by 2%. Thesee are sick numbers! So while everyone's going crazy about the "victory", nobody sees the true picture of what's going on. This is the real Russia, guys.
Cheers :ksenia:

Post subject: Re: The Russia World Cup 2018 Thread; Russia won Vs Saudi Ar
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:11 pm 

hockey is where its at m8

Gameinsky wrote:
in army time 9 + 5 actually equals 14, but if you use AM/PM system 9 + 5 = 2

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.