Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Bots, learn2play
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:56 am 

So far the bots have not faired so well in the Sheriff Lonestar and Leon Chameleon videos (will you be going back to give Froggy G some love ,by the way?), were they set to a low or easy, or do they scale based on the collective players (in this case one) persistent account levels? At the moment they seem competent but slow/less effective.

Post subject: Re: Bots, learn2play
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:58 am 
Ronimo Team Member

The AI for the bots is quite good, but we are still improving where necessary. With the gameplay trailers for the Sheriff and Leon we picked the best players and especially the game we captured for Leon was pretty insane. Our producer Robin even got legendary there, which was the first time I ever saw that. Anyways, that might give a scaled look on things. :P

Although the bots seem underpowered in the gameplay footage, we actually are trying to scale them down at this point. They are way too good for new players. In practice mode the bots have 3 different AI's (easy, medium, hard) which depend on the player's account level. Online the bots go full throttle, because it is too complex with the drop in and out to make the AI dynamic there.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:03 pm 

Well that's what I mean, the AI looks good but it didn't put up much fight against that Leon, though judging by the end-game leaderboard he did seem pretty fed. So what difficulty setting were those bots at? I ask because I mean I can see that the bots knew what they were doing and were making logical decisions but I'd imagine an experienced player wouldn't get too much of a challenge from them, Robin certainly didn't. And their stats showed they weren't farming enough creep, though they did push the towers very well, but didn't kill Robin and didn't kill each other much.

So ideally, I suppose, there might need to be an "insane" difficulty? If the bots are too difficult for new players, but not difficult enough for experienced players, maybe that would help? I don't know, you're the developers, you know best, but I think like Vync said in a different post, most players who play games for a long time surpass the bots and can no longer get much out of the game without other players. Maybe down the line some sort of update can be applied or... I don't know. But you guys have played League of Legends and so surely you know experienced players mow down bots, while newbies probably lose to bots at first.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:26 am 
Ronimo Team Member

The bots in the Leon gameplay trailer are easy bots. If we had put hard bots in there, he would never made that many kills. However, our best players here don't loose many games, and that is something we are still improving.

I like the idea of an "insane" difficulty, maybe something for max level. :)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:20 pm 

Oooh, okay good to know that they were easy bots. 'Cause yeah the AI looked good but now that I know that they were on easy, I can only imagine the havoc Hard bots might wreak, and what difficulties they present.