Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Matchmaking / Competetive Gaming ?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 am 

Hello everyone im the new guy :lol:

Since german forums just lead me to dtp forums with no real awesomenauts section, ill post here with not perfect english.

I wanted to talk about competetive gaming in awesomenauts. since it features matchmating i was wondering if its seperated in normal and ranked games
( guess this game gets compared to League of Legends a lot ;) ). And if possible rankings are splitted in 1on1 / 2on2 / 3on3 matches.

One question is the bot system where you can start games with bots and have people joining in later. Thats a good idea for "normal" games or people who dont like waiting, just having a quick match.
For ranked gaming i wouldnt like the idea of playing with any bots except someone is having a disconnect or quitting on purpose. Having bots in competetive gaming could lead to wrong/faked rankings. What are the plans to establish a fair matchmaking system ?

Post subject: Re: Matchmaking / Competetive Gaming ?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:04 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

We have private matches, which are not ranked and witch allow you to assemble a group of players before you start.

The ranked matches are indeed with bots. The problem with not allowing any bots in ranked matches, is that someone leaving the game totally breaks it. So we chose to have bots fill in the gaps. In case of leavers, this is actually more fair than just letting you play on with less players, as most MOBA games do. :)

As for the start of the game: if there are not enough players online, then matches are filled up with bots to at least let you start playing. The good thing here is that if the game gets a big community, then you will hardly ever play with bots, since they are immediately replaced by real players. On the other hand, if you play on times when there aren't as many players online, at least you can play immediately. Playing with bots is way better than not playing at all... ;)

We only have 3on3 matches. Having more game modes splits the player base too much, so we will only add other game modes if the game is a success and there are enough players to actually make that work. :)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:32 pm 

Joost wrote:
The ranked matches are indeed with bots. The problem with not allowing any bots in ranked matches, is that someone leaving the game totally breaks it. So we chose to have bots fill in the gaps. In case of leavers, this is actually more fair than just letting you play on with less players, as most MOBA games do. :)

Filling gaps with bots is totally okay for me :) In some other Moba-games (having LoL in mind again) it wouldnt really work because the Bot AI there is rly bad. A Bot could screw the game even more than one missing guy (in lol). Awesomenauts has smaller teams and i hope way better AI.

Another question poped up as i read your text. Its about these private matches ... these allow me to assemble a group of players before i start ( having some trouble here with my english ;D ). Does that mean that i could invite my friends to create a premade team but only in private matches ? So it isnt possible to play ranked matches witch my team/friends in like a ranked-team queue ?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:44 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

You can invite your friends in ranked matches as well, but only into the same team as you. In private matches, you can also invite your opponents.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:42 pm 

Heh :lol: yeah well ... had a bit trouble understanding it i guess. So lets hope this game is a success and we dont need to play with bots that much ( already hyped so friends to prevent that :) ). Thanks for your answers.