Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Development blogposts
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:09 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New dev blogpost! This post discusses how you can give players access to the beta for a new game or an update and what the pros and cons of each method are.

An overview of many ways of doing a beta

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:54 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New Awesomenauts dev blogpost: "The psychology of matchmaking." About how psychological factors influence how players think about matchmaking and why even a theoretical 'perfect' matchmaker would still get lots of complaints from players.

The psychology of matchmaking

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:46 pm 

So what I read is you put a lot of effort into the matchmaking and it hurts you to see a lot of backlash from players.

I know that you said this is not meant to be an excuse, although it kind of reads that way.

It must hurt to create something for years with a lot of effort and people are never happy.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:47 am 

People in a nutshell:

mugg1991 wrote:
people are never happy.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:43 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

mugg1991 wrote:
So what I read is you put a lot of effort into the matchmaking and it hurts you to see a lot of backlash from players.

I know that you said this is not meant to be an excuse, although it kind of reads that way.

It must hurt to create something for years with a lot of effort and people are never happy.

While getting negative feedback on something you worked hard on certainly sucks, that's not the point of this post. Actually, the idea for this blogpost is from well before Galactron even launched. The point is that while researching matchmaking in other games, I noticed that all big, successful multiplayer games receive tons of complaints about matchmaking. I don't believe that all multiplayer games have bad matchmaking, so there must be more at play. Also, the Dunning-Kruger-Effect is a real thing that really does affect player experience. So no, this post is not an excuse: it's an attempt at writing interesting observations. :ix:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New dev blogpost:

Beginner balance versus pro balance

This post discusses 3 different approaches we've used in Awesomenauts and Swords And Soldiers 2 to improve balance for beginners without upsetting balance for experienced players.