Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Development blogposts
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:09 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New dev blogpost! This post discusses how you can give players access to the beta for a new game or an update and what the pros and cons of each method are.

An overview of many ways of doing a beta

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:54 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New Awesomenauts dev blogpost: "The psychology of matchmaking." About how psychological factors influence how players think about matchmaking and why even a theoretical 'perfect' matchmaker would still get lots of complaints from players.

The psychology of matchmaking

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:46 pm 

So what I read is you put a lot of effort into the matchmaking and it hurts you to see a lot of backlash from players.

I know that you said this is not meant to be an excuse, although it kind of reads that way.

It must hurt to create something for years with a lot of effort and people are never happy.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:47 am 

People in a nutshell:

mugg1991 wrote:
people are never happy.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:43 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

mugg1991 wrote:
So what I read is you put a lot of effort into the matchmaking and it hurts you to see a lot of backlash from players.

I know that you said this is not meant to be an excuse, although it kind of reads that way.

It must hurt to create something for years with a lot of effort and people are never happy.

While getting negative feedback on something you worked hard on certainly sucks, that's not the point of this post. Actually, the idea for this blogpost is from well before Galactron even launched. The point is that while researching matchmaking in other games, I noticed that all big, successful multiplayer games receive tons of complaints about matchmaking. I don't believe that all multiplayer games have bad matchmaking, so there must be more at play. Also, the Dunning-Kruger-Effect is a real thing that really does affect player experience. So no, this post is not an excuse: it's an attempt at writing interesting observations. :ix:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

New dev blogpost:

Beginner balance versus pro balance

This post discusses 3 different approaches we've used in Awesomenauts and Swords And Soldiers 2 to improve balance for beginners without upsetting balance for experienced players.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:55 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

It's been a while, but I intend to blog about game development more regularly again. Let's see whether I manage to actually find enough time for that, but at least here's a start: new dev blogpost!

Five important realisations about game balance

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:39 am 

So I read the last blog post (thanks to someone mentioning it on a discord, lol)
I only agree wiht like... half, ish...
1 is true.
2 is also true, but not really advice, more of an observation?
3 & 4 however I disagree with. As general advice at least.

I do agree with the first part about RNG (that it adds suspense and surprise etc.).
It feels bad to die despite feeling like you outplayed your opponent, but it also feels very good to do the opposite thing.
RNG is hard to make work though, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I play a lot of DotA, and that game is practically built on RNG. However, that game is able to do things that Awesomenauts unfortunately can't really do (pretty much because of the core design of the game).
You can usually either counter or lower the effect of RNG in DotA either through items, mechanics or by adapting your playstyle. And very often the RNG seals a fate rather than make ights unpredictable.

Awesomenauts is a very fastpaced game however, which already handles the whole suspense and surprise part through the speed of the game. So RNG is unnecessary here and I do agree that this is not the game for it. (that's what I meant with general advice, this is good advice for games similar to Nauts, but not for every game).

4. I find a bit weird since you talk about how a tactic was discovered whcih caused game balance to end up worse. But then you talk about quickly patching it and conclude from it that a game will only get worse (and not better?) over time. But maybe if it wasn't patched, it would have eventually solved itself. This has happened quite a lot in fighters (old ones, since they didn't really receive patches outside of being entire new versions). Yet you do mention this at the end with smash brothers as an example.

5. is a very important lesson but I feel like the post lacked a conclusion in this segment.
Perfect balance is impossible, so that's never what a game should strive for (thanks to point 2).
Instead a game should opt to be fun which variation, balance etc. all contribute to.
It's fine if some characters are a bit underpowered, it's fine if some characters are a bit stronger. As long as there is variety in the game and a meta doesn't stay stuck for too long, people tend to still enjoy the game enough to play it.

I feel like this was something that has plagued awesomenauts till even its last patch. Where people killed a lot of fun aspects and variety in the search for perfect balance. (make clunk faster, nerf clone army, give everyone sustain)

I feel like it's hard to give general advice though, what may work for one game may not work for another.
As an example in this update
https://www.dota2.com/outlanders/ (the scrollbar's so tiny, lol)
The balancing team did the equivalent of taking the game, hammering it into pieces, stirring all of it, adding new potentially big mechanics and then building the game back up from scratch using the bits and pieces of scrap metal. Knowing that they'll have to spend the coming year tweaking whatever monstrosity they made out of it. But hey, somehow, for dota, it works.
I don't see it working for a lot of games though and it also depends a lot on your audience and what they expect.

Just my two cents though

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:13 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Lots of interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing!

Balance is also something that's largely about personal tastes. It's all very subjective: one person might like an improvement, someone else might think it got worse. Especially since balance isn't the same thing as fun, as you pointed out.

Gameinsky wrote:
4. I find a bit weird since you talk about how a tactic was discovered whcih caused game balance to end up worse. But then you talk about quickly patching it and conclude from it that a game will only get worse (and not better?) over time. But maybe if it wasn't patched, it would have eventually solved itself. [...]

It's true that with enough time, a counter may have been found. You never know. However, during and after the tournament players were frantically searching for a counter and didn't find one, and in the period after that tournament the game was pretty much ruined by lots of players all using the same winning tactic that had no counter. That's a situation that you don't want to leave the game in for a long time, especially since you don't know whether a counter will be found at all. Sometimes something really is too strong. We'll never know since we changed the balance quite quickly.