Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

Post subject: Re: Development blogposts
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:43 pm 

A big negative point that has been brought up time and time again is the high queue times.
Nobody wants to sit through 6:30 minutes and then be told "topkek a player has left, wait another 7 minutes".

The matchmaker can find the most optimal match up*, but it will be bad if it means that it takes half a century to get a match started.

(* Most of the time it is still a very one sided game anyway)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 pm 

mugg1991 wrote:
A big negative point that has been brought up time and time again is the high queue times.

What do you expect to be done about that without players? The time would be shorter with a larger pool.

And surely you must remember how often the time was even longer, if a full match happened at all, back before Galactron. Remember force starting?

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
It was very rare that a pre-Galactron match would take six minutes to fill, mainly because someone would inevitably force start, but even that came with the blessing in disguise that the empty slots would usually—although not always—be filled before the actual gameplay began proper.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
It was very rare that a pre-Galactron match would take six minutes to fill, mainly because someone would inevitably force start, but even that came with the blessing in disguise that the empty slots would usually—although not always—be filled before the actual gameplay began proper.

In 80% of the matches the spot would also be emptied again before the match ends as well, though...
In some games, even 3-4 times during a single match.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

mugg1991 wrote:
Nobody wants to sit through 6:30 minutes and then be told "topkek a player has left, wait another 7 minutes".

The matchmaker can find the most optimal match up*, but it will be bad if it means that it takes half a century to get a match started.

(* Most of the time it is still a very one sided game anyway)

I personally agree that the long waiting times are a huge issue. However, are most players willing to accept higher ping and bigger skill differences to fix this? We could easily reduce the waiting times but I'm not sure the reduced match quality would actually be a better experience.

Of course, with more players we could have both lower waiting times and higher match quality, but we gotta work with what we have.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:37 am 

Personally I dont mind long times that much, but for new players they are probably a big issue. Especially, since even after waiting they might not get matches they want...

I think higher priority should be in matching you with different people than in previous matches. Its really annoying to wait 7 minutes, just to see the same opponents that wasted you 10-0 in the previous match.

While normally I dont personally mind waiting, when someone quits at the character choosing screen, the double wait this causes is extremely annoying. The rest 5 should be put into a minique of 0.5-1 minute, where first "close enough" would take place of the person who quitted.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:23 pm 

I'd prefer it to match quicker. When queuing in offtimes in NZ, sometimes it just throws me into bot games when I queue for pvp for around an hour. I have absolutely no gripes with playing with europeans but the matchmaker doesn't let me. If everyone is in europe, I'd be 300-400 to them. From what I understand from the post that's not great.

Because of this, I frequently run into new people, around level 15-30 despite being in mid-high L2.
This is obviously unfortunate. They get repeatedly bodied, and there's a game that's no fun for either side.
But at least their ping is good. >.>

EDIT: I didn't see Iso's message, and I couldn't disagree more. Once we get a solid group of players playing, games work flawlessly, and usually there's the same 4-6 people with good ping in every game, of which I prefer to the other option, which is getting repeatedly * by weird matches.

Obviously I should just invent internet portals.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 pm 

Joost wrote:
Of course, with more players we could have both lower waiting times and higher match quality, but we gotta work with what we have.

I'm not so sure about that, it would take quite some time for new players to get to a similar league as the veterans. It wouldn't make for fair or fun matches otherwise.

On the topic of the queue-timer, I'm personally fine with either option I don't mind waiting a little longer yet I also would prefer not to play a worldwide match.
Perhaps it could be beneficial to give players more matchmaking options, we already have the worldwide option in the settings. Why not add something similar for queue timers?
Another idea would be to add a new secret minigame while waiting in the main menu, maybe it'd be possible to add ROFLnauts as an easteregg to the main menu, or perhaps a skirmish mode. :yoolip:

Your opinion is one of the reasons Sentry is in it's current state

Steam
Youtube [best montages]

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 am 

Jas123c wrote:
Joost wrote:

I'm not so sure about that, it would take quite some time for new players to get to a similar league as the veterans. It wouldn't make for fair or fun matches otherwise.

On the topic of the queue-timer, I'm personally fine with either option I don't mind waiting a little longer yet I also would prefer not to play a worldwide match.
Perhaps it could be beneficial to give players more matchmaking options, we already have the worldwide option in the settings. Why not add something similar for queue timers?
Another idea would be to add a new secret minigame while waiting in the main menu, maybe it'd be possible to add ROFLnauts as an easteregg to the main menu, or perhaps a skirmish mode. :yoolip:

What worldwide setting? I believe it was removed with galactron.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:20 pm 

Uiomancant wrote:
EDIT: I didn't see Iso's message, and I couldn't disagree more. Once we get a solid group of players playing, games work flawlessly, and usually there's the same 4-6 people with good ping in every game, of which I prefer to the other option, which is getting repeatedly * by weird matches.

Well, thats good when you are on the winning side or the matches are fair. Nothing, nothing at all, is as annoying as seeing the same way above your skill level premade team third time in a row, knowing that you will lose to them 10-0 like you did in the past 2 games.

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next