Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: NO customization for private games??? (Plus a suggestion!)
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:48 pm 

In the "release date and other questions" thread, a response from a Ronimo team member said that there's no customization for private games. Um...WHAT? What does that mean? In other words we can't choose our own options if we're just playing local splitscreen?

Also, I had an idea for customization.

There should be an option to switch the parameters for the Super Droid that spawns when your team destroys a turret. How about give us the option to reverse it? In other words, when one of YOUR turret is destroyed, YOUR team spawns a Super Droid instead to give the losing team a bit of an edge :D

Obviously the default setup would be how it is now, but I think giving the option to switch it would make games very interesting!

Post subject: Re: NO customization for private games??? (Plus a suggestion
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:47 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Well there is the option to choose on which map you play and the loadout system offers lots and lots of meaningful customization. But you won't be able to change starting gold settings, game speed, bot behaviour settings or anything like that.

The idea of customizable matches is enthralling, and your suggestion sounds really cool! But the settings we use now are the results of literally years of tweaking to find the most fulfilling and challenging experience. So they're really good. Maybe we will add a more configurable mode in the future if the community cries out for it, and if we think up a way to do it that fits with Awesomenauts meta-game of unlocking.

There is such a thing in gamedesign as giving too much customizability. Example: We want players to be able to progress their account offline and unlock new items, characters and stuff as they do. If we would allow players to change all kinds of possible settings they might feel forced to find out which configuration yields the most account XP per hour, which in turn can lead to very grindy, unsatisfying gameplay. Also we prefer players to go and play online, which is really where Awesomenauts shines brightest. Offline mode is a lot of fun (especially in splitscreen), but we don't want it to defer to much from what the game is in online multi.

In some sense, as a game designer, you sometimes have to protect the player from himself to make the game more fun. Ofcourse this is no exact science and no 2 players are exactly the same. If lots of players miss game customization we'll know soon enough, and perhaps we'll be able to patch it in later! Right now it just doesn't seem like something we'd want to delay the game's release even more for.

currently working on:
UI, daily missions, brawls

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:23 am 

Ah, I see.

So you can't even change the difficulty level of the AI bots? In S&S you could change it...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 am 

mattdyer01 wrote:
Ah, I see.

So you can't even change the difficulty level of the AI bots? In S&S you could change it...

I believe Ronimo have mentioned previously on this board that there are indeed different difficulty levels of the AI bots (which will always be set the highest during online play). I would like to know where this changing of difficulty levels is implemented. If offline progress transfers to your online game, would people be able to grind out easy bots or do the easy bots only appear during early offline play?

/r/Awesomenauts Moderator
Steam: EMBigMoose
PSN: EMBigMoose

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:40 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Quote:
I believe Ronimo have mentioned previously on this board that there are indeed different difficulty levels of the AI bots (which will always be set the highest during online play). I would like to know where this changing of difficulty levels is implemented. If offline progress transfers to your online game, would people be able to grind out easy bots or do the easy bots only appear during early offline play?

this is true, bots scale up with your account level. Online bots are ALWAYS at max level, to prevent feeding.

currently working on:
UI, daily missions, brawls