Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Awesomeness of Awesomenauts
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:09 am 

I think meiam brings up a good point: paid DLC may split the playerbase.

Even if the new Mercenaries would be able to appear in games with people who haven't purchased the DLC, some players who are unable to afford the new characters may cry foul and feel at a disadvantage because they do not have access to those new characters. While it may be seen as incentive to make the purchase, it also may cause some people to leave the game.

New maps as a part of DLC creates even more problems. If you have to purchase in order to use the new maps it will split the playerbase, but if you allow those who haven't purchased it to play in servers with those who have, then some people will feel they have little reason to purchase.

The thing about small, competitive, online games like Awesomenauts is that almost any form of paid DLC may split the base: new abilities, new Mercenaries, new maps, new game modes, etc. The best option I see for Ronimo would be to offer cosmetic items for DLC, but like they've stated before it will take a long time to redraw the characters and probably wouldn't be worth it.

The only other option I see Ronimo utilizing as paid DLC is to charge for useful feature that aren't necessary to the game. Maybe if they added customization options in private matches, added a lobby feature, a built in clan system, a tournament system, stat tracking, or something along those lines. These will greatly enhance the player's experience without taking away from the other players. Just a few thoughts.

/r/Awesomenauts Moderator
Steam: EMBigMoose
PSN: EMBigMoose

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:43 pm 

Mmmm... I myself think that what you are saying up there is sort of relative. Sure, i am someone who wouldnt mind dlc, i would preffer free, as points are expensive to me, but if i have to pay ok. And if there are no new chars, ok too... that is me, you, and a lot more people as you said. But there are also others that NEED Dlc. DLC might split the base, but no DLC would do it too... so it is really a hard choice.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:26 am 

The way I see it. Let new maps and modes be free. Let DLC character (and maybe we will get skins) have a cost. Their is no disadvantage of someone not owning a DLC character that is going to split the player base, unless people without DLC can't play with people with DLC. Which to me, such a method is really flawed. I don't see that happening in Awesomenauts.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:42 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

We definitely intend to add characters in such a way that they do not split the player base. So even if you have not bought the new character DLC and cannot play that character yourself, you can still play against someone who did. We are not 100% sure whether this is technically allowed by console manufacturers, though, but if possible we will definitely do our best to not split the player base through DLC.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:39 pm 

Joost wrote:
We definitely intend to add characters in such a way that they do not split the player base. So even if you have not bought the new character DLC and cannot play that character yourself, you can still play against someone who did. We are not 100% sure whether this is technically allowed by console manufacturers, though, but if possible we will definitely do our best to not split the player base through DLC.

I know a bit about this one. Im not a game developer but i've seen games trying to run like this. And i have to tell you, it will be hard. Small Arms (very old XBLA, SSB type) tried using this method. The thing is, you could play with people who had the new characters, but you couldn't exactly see their figure.. At least this is what happened to me. I had to buy the new characters to actually "see" them. All i could see was well.. some sort of base? xD like a 3D model.

So i think that for people to see characters, it would require an update everytime you add new characters unless people buy said characters...

**If someone has better knowledge than me, please, give more information. Im talking from experience here.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 am 

jailuis wrote:
Joost wrote:

I know a bit about this one. Im not a game developer but i've seen games trying to run like this. And i have to tell you, it will be hard. Small Arms (very old XBLA, SSB type) tried using this method. The thing is, you could play with people who had the new characters, but you couldn't exactly see their figure.. At least this is what happened to me. I had to buy the new characters to actually "see" them. All i could see was well.. some sort of base? xD like a 3D model.

So i think that for people to see characters, it would require an update everytime you add new characters unless people buy said characters...

**If someone has better knowledge than me, please, give more information. Im talking from experience here.

don't fighting games on the console allow players without DLC characters to fight players with DLC characters? If they don't, that is huge disadvantage number 2 for consoles.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:02 am 

david12596 wrote:
jailuis wrote:
Joost wrote:

don't fighting games on the console allow players without DLC characters to fight players with DLC characters? If they don't, that is huge disadvantage number 2 for consoles.

They do, but this is the thing friend:

On normal xbox 360 games (lets take street fighter for example) everytime DLC is added, they update the title so the data can be recognized and you can see the character even if you don't have them.

Other titles, such as Street Fighter X Tekken, have the DLC encrypted in the DVD, so you don't require any update, because you have the file. What you don't have is the way to unlock it.

Now with arcades, this is different. As much as i know, you can't really encrypt a DLC character into an arcade. Because of this, the only way to 'see' DLC characters without buying the DLC is by updating the title... But, updates are expensive.. really expensive. Some post on the Awesomenauts FB says they are about 40k. Now, if you dont update the game, all you will see as the "dlc" will be a template, and this is what happened to me in small arms.

So well, this will be hell of a job :/ unless I am completely wrong :3

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:49 am 
Ronimo Team Member

That 40k figure is something Tim Schafer said, not something we said, and I cannot comment on how relevant that figure is in this case.

Regardless, you guys are right that adding DLC with new characters would also require a patch if other players are to see those, so that is what we intend to do. :)