Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Post subject: Re: The Wiki update thread [3.1.1]
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:54 pm 

rpvarela wrote:
Say no to SAM wrote:
When can we expect 8-bit Yoolip and Skree announcer quotes?

Check the original post at page 1.
Whenever I bump this, I update the info there.

Oh, did not know that. Thanks for info.

HarryButchers wrote:
ColossalDonut5 wrote:
HarryButchers wrote:
Steam Achievement Manager.

Are we saying no to it?

We should!

Emo Chapington wrote:
You are all that is wrong with this world.

yolvenzind wrote:
You have always been truly handsome

Post subject: Re: The Wiki update thread [3.1.1]
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:52 pm 

Soundfiles are up! Get them in the main post.

we're giving this thread too much attention for its quality

Post subject: Re: The Wiki update thread [3.1.4, partially and o7]
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:40 pm 

One last bump. o7

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:08 pm 

Sad to see you quit, man. You've made the Awesomenauts Wiki into one of the best gaming wikis out there and I've got great respect for all the effort you've put into it. Hopefully people will turn up to keep the wiki going even after you're gone.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:34 pm 

I think I can speak for everyone in the community when saying thank you for everything you've done on the wiki, it's been and still is an incredibly useful resource for players, artists, creators, and even the devs themselves and your contributions do not go unappreciated. It's sad to see you go but I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours and once again, thank you for everything.

rpvarela wrote:
To Conorbebe in particular: Man, I'm sorry I've left Ix's Wiki page incomplete. I wanted to wait until his release to quit, but the files are not yet done (and not yet in my hands) and he won't be on for quite a few patches. I may show up to do this, as I know you'd probably be happy with your 'naut there, especially since you had to beat a contest for that. No promises tho.

Obviously I would love it if Ix's page was completed, but honestly, don't sweat it. There's no expectation for it to be done for me, you've already done so much for the wiki which has helped me in the past such as my research into Awesomenauts lore when determining how I could fit Ix into the grand scheme of the game.

I do however have one question, does this spell the end of the Awesomenauts Wiki? I'm aware just about anyone can help contribute and edit pages on the wiki, I have done so myself in the past, although I'm not sure how far this can go. I'm also terribly unskilled at it myself so I know I wouldn't be able to take on the role, nor would I have the time.

Either way, thank you again for everything you have done and best wishes for the future!

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:35 pm 

RP's leaving? :GnawCry:

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:43 pm 

Sorry to see you go, dude. I didn't know you all that well, but I'll miss you nonetheless.

Your hard work has done the community a great deal of service. Farewell. :tear:

Official Fanart Gallery | Steam | Discord: Duskitty#5930 | I'm a tech support volunteer!

Currently playing: LUX5000, Ayla, Coco, Dizzy
Sometimes play: Raelynn, Scoop, Ksenia
Still learning: Penny, Rocco

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:57 pm 

conorbebe wrote:
I do however have one question, does this spell the end of the Awesomenauts Wiki?

Honestly, I don't know. I'd hate to see the Wiki go outdated and bad (it was what motivated me to start all this all the way back when Skoll was released and what kept me going for the following years).

I like to think I left my mark in this community, and editing the Wiki, keeping it up to date is something I've always enjoyed doing, but... It's getting more and more tiresome with each passing patch. Sometimes it takes me 4-5 hours... hours of my free time, to do it, especially the upgrade database. You see, whenever a new naut is released, 18 upgrades are added into the game (19 if the naut has special boots) And these are ALL in the same template which is getting super heavy to the point where if I try to edit a number (say a damage value or solar price that was altered in a patch) it takes about 20 second (for each little individual change) for it to be registered... and that's just the upgrades, like I said above, there are nauts, variables, skills, individual pages, announcers, skins, DLC, game mechanics...

This, combined with the fact that I'm no coder (just a guy who edits the basic stuff) makes me kinda annoyed and frustrated that I have to deal with a system that gets more and more ineffective with each new addition while at the same being powerless to alter it due to my lack of knowledge on the subjet.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just update it less often or slow down... or just leave it altogether.

They say "never say never", but for now... I need some time away from all this.
Hope I answered your question. :)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:18 pm 

rpvarela wrote:
I like to think I left my mark in this community

Don't ever think you didn't. Anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong. :drone:

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:46 am 

I've been thinking for awhile now about sites such as the wiki and nautsbuilder constantly getting outdated with each patch, and you could probably fully automate the process of updates by making use of the fact that the game files are relativity easy to get a hold of and follow a very modular and set structure in regards to how data is stored within them.

Every patch you would just get a dump of the game's files and upload (at least the relevant ones) onto the server and have it automatically populate the pages using the files as a data source. It would probably take a few weeks to code on its own and I have absolutely no idea how you would go about doing that on the gamepedia site since it's pretty locked down, but it still remains as the most robust.

Just as an example, let's imagine IX getting added within this system;

Code:
availableClassesDevelopment_Version = Random Dasher Cowboy Chameleon Paladin Maw Hunter Vampire Tank Summoner Blazer Brute Jetter Heavy Bird Butterfly Captain Wozzle Crawler Commando Assassin Spy Shaman Blinker Ellipto Hyper Warrior Shifter

"Shifter" is a new class, get in game name from localization;
Code:
PortraitCharacter_Shifter   Ix the Interloper

Get icon and portrait for IX (Skin_Index would be a 3 digit number to fetch a specific skin, e.g. 001 is default skin, 002 is the first released skin etc.);
Code:
UI_Unlock_CharShifter
UI_PortraitCharacter_Shifter[Skin_Index]_body

Get upgrades for IX;
Code:
Go to file "SettingsShifter"

classCategory1BaseUpgrades_Shifter = SHIFTERBONDSPEED1 SHIFTERBONDHEAL1 SHIFTERBONDDISPLACESHIELD1 SHIFTERBONDDISPLACEATTACKSPEED1 SHIFTERBONDDOT1 SHIFTERBONDRANGE1
classCategory2BaseUpgrades_Shifter = SHIFTERSHIFTBOND1 SHIFTERSHIFTSPEED1 SHIFTERSHIFTBURST1 SHIFTERSHIFTHEALTH1 SHIFTERSHIFTAMPLIFY1 SHIFTERSHIFTDURATION1
classCategory3BaseUpgrades_Shifter = SHIFTERPULSERANGE1 SHIFTERPULSEBOND1 SHIFTERPULSEEFFECT1 SHIFTERPULSEDAMAGE1 SHIFTERPULSELIFESTEAL1 SHIFTERPULSEEMIT1
classCategory4BaseUpgrades_Shifter = HEALTHREGEN1 PIGGYBANK ADDHEALTH1 CCREDUCTION COINREGEN1 ShifterSPEED

Say the system would be at "SHIFTERPULSEDAMAGE1" (IX's damage upgrade), you could get its icon and price like so;
Code:
Upgrade:ShifterPulseDamage1_goldCost = 165
Upgrade:ShifterPulseDamage1_iconName = Shop_Icons_Shifter_skill_c_upgrade_c

The description, name and effects could be pulled directly from the localization;
Code:
Upgrade:ShifterPulseDamage1_inGameDescription = upgrade_ShifterPulseDamage1_description
Upgrade:ShifterPulseDamage1_inGameFlavour = upgrade_ShifterPulseDamage1_flavour
Upgrade:ShifterPulseDamage1_inGameName = upgrade_ShifterPulseDamage1_name

Or you could manually fetch the effects by searching the file directly for the upgrade to make the data more accurate in some instances;
Code:
DamageShifterPulse_damage*ShifterPulseDamage1 = 1.12
DamageShifterPulseBolt_damage*ShifterPulseDamage1 = 1.12
DamageShifterPulseBoltLand_damage*ShifterPulseDamage1 = 1.12

Additional upgrade stages can be checked by increasing the index of the upgrade by 1 and searching if it exists and if the previous upgrade is required (meaning that it's the next stage.)
Code:
Upgrade:ShifterPulseDamage2_requirements = ShifterPulseDamage1

I know I've missed out on a lot of details such as what stats to display, but it's just to serve as an example on how such a system could be fully automated to stay up to date with updates. Even just using one part of this proposed system such as fetching the prices of upgrades would help out a lot on keeping information always updated.

2 Balance Rules

1) No upgrade should be mandatory
2) No upgrade should outclass or be overly reliant on another upgrade

My steam
Leader of Team HDTV

Jasper wrote:
Well Lashes and Sunballs are about as strong

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next