Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Who's Your Awesomenaut?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:52 pm 

This is a dichotomous (two-choice branching) guide I came up with for new players to find the best 'naut for their natural playstyle tendencies. I made it mostly for fun; if it turns out to be really accurate, great, I hope it helps people try some 'nauts they might not have otherwise. If it's horribly inaccurate, well, maybe some of you will at least find it entertaining. Suggestions for improvement always welcome.

Remember that this is meant to find the 'naut most suited to your natural tendencies as an individual. It should work best by answering intuitively--what feels better or more satisfying to you, rather than what you think is more logical or tactical.

Question 1: Are you an aggressive player or a passive one?
Aggressive players want immediate reward for their actions. They like adrenaline, and often come to the game from more of a fighting game background. Passive players tend to be more defensive and cautious, and may see the game as more of a contest of strategy.

I'm an aggressive player: Move to Question 2.
I'm a passive player: Move to Question 13.

Question 2: Is it more fun to break stuff or is it more satisfying to get kills on opponents?
Self-explanatory.

I wanna break stuff: Your Awesomenaut is...
It's all about the kills: Move to Question 3.

Question 3: Do you wear down your target, or deal all your damage at once?
"Wearing down" isn't always a slow process. Some characters can tear through enemies pretty quickly. It's basically a choice of whether you like to see your opponent's health melt away, or if you'd rather blow them into oblivion.

I wanna see my target melt: Move to Question 4.
Pop them like a balloon: Move to Question 8.

Question 4: Do you like to take on whole groups, or do you stick to 1-on-1's?
Are you Rambo or are you John Wayne? It's usually not smart to take on multiple opponents at once, but some 'nauts are better equipped for it than others.

Bring 'em all on: Move to Question 5.
Let there be manly duels: Move to Question 6.

Question 5: Do you like dishing out fancy combos, or just pure, unadulterated damage?
How technical are you? Some people are more satisfied with a more complex and engaging series of attacks, while others just like to crush their opponents with damage, no matter how it comes.

Let there be Hadokens: Your Awesomenaut is...
Damage, all the damage: Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 6: Do you like getting right up in your foes' faces, or firing from a safe distance?
Does it feel better to punch a zombie or to shoot one?

Get up in there: Move to Question 21.
Stay back and unleash Hell: Move to Question 7.

Question 7: Do you like guns or arrows?
It's a choice between pants or no pants.

Blow 'em away: Your Awesomenaut is...
Pierce 'em through: Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 8: Is it better to be tough enough to take a few hits, or to dodge them completely?
"Tank" characters are usually bigger, slower ones who have lots of HP to accommodate. Smaller, lower-HP characters are speedier and better able to avoid hits in the first place, or may have special ways of avoiding damage such as stealth or regenerating health.

Is good day to be giant man: Move to Question 9.
Move like a butterfly, sting like a bee: Move to Question 10.

Question 9: Do you focus your damage on one target at a time, or do you shoot for as many targets as possible?
It's easier to get the kill if your target is focused, but the reward is higher if you do manage to get those multiples. How risky are you?

Pick 'em off one at a time: Your Awesomenaut is...
Nuke everything: Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 10: Is it more fun to use an invincible dodge, or more satisfying to outmaneuver your opponents with speed and wit?
Think of dodge rolls in Smash Bros. That invincible-for-an-instant technique that lets you sidestep the enemy in a final-moment judgement call. Or, maybe it's more skillful to leap to and fro over the enemies' heads, just beyond the range of their attacks. Some characters can do both, but may have trade-offs elsewhere.

Both!: Your Awesomenaut is...
Mobility is king: Move to Question 11.
Invulnerability dodge: Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 11: What's better for avoiding damage, speed or stealth?
To outrun your pursuers or to hide from them...? Stealth is a great advantage for catching enemies by surprise, but once you give away your location, your only defense is gone.

I want to be Speed Racer: Move to Question 22.
I want to be a Godfrey Ho ninja: Move to Question 12.

Question 12: How versatile are you?
Are you a dedicated assassin or an all-rounder? Remember, diversifying your skills generally means you're not quite as good in each department as a specialized character is at what they do. That said, a more diverse character can change his or her strategy to adapt to different situations.

I'm just here to kill people: Your Awesomenaut is...
I adapt to my surroundings: Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 13: Do you let the enemy come to you, or do you wait for your own team's moment to strike?
It's a choice between fighting on your turf or on the enemy's turf, and the latter isn't always the inferior choice. Some characters are able to set up camps capable of securing kills on any enemies fool enough to wander in, or are designed to counter enemy initiations. Others are able to charge in and disrupt the enemy team's camp... with the right backup.

Camping is a legitimate strategy: Move to Question 14.
Strike when the moment arrives: Move to Question 15.

Question 14: Are you a fighter or a support?
Would you rather be the one dealing damage for the team, or someone who helps to ensure your allies deal as much as possible?

All for one (brawler): Your Awesomenaut is...
One for all (support): Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 15: When the time comes to strike, are you the one going for the kill, or helping your teammates secure the kill?
Players can help their team in ways other than damage. When a brawl happens, some characters unleash the damage, and others make sure that the ones who are supposed to unleash the damage are able to unleash it.

I want the kill for myself: Move to Question 16.
I want to help secure the kill: Move to Question 19.

Question 16: Do you strike from a distance, or do you get right up in the thick of the action?
The second option is more effective than it sounds.

Snipe from afar: Your Awesomenaut is...
Dive right in: Move to Question 17.

Question 17: Is it more fun to surprise your opponents or to go charging in headlong?
This question comes without warranty.

Surprise!: Your Awesomenaut is...
Chaaarge!: Move to Question 18.

Question 18: Do you like to break stuff or just kill stuff?
Remember, diversifying your abilities generally means you can do more things, but you're not as good at any one of them. A character who can both push and kill may be less adept at killing than a character whose total focus is on it.

I like to break stuff: Your Awesomenaut is...
It's all about the kills: Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 19: Do you help your team by healing them or by holding down the enemy for them?
Why not both?

Both!: Move to Question 23.
I'm a healer: Your Awesomenaut is...
I'll hold 'em: Move to Question 20.

Question 20: When you're not pinning, is it better to be able to be offensive, or defensive?
Just because you play passively doesn't mean you don't have any presence. Someone who plays offensively in his or her downtime might be killing droids or getting just a little bit of chip damage on a turret when no one's looking. A defensive downtime player makes sure that no one gets anywhere near their own turrets, usually waiting for the team before going out much.

I'm going for it: Your Awesomenaut is...
I am a wall: Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 21: Are you a pinner or a chaser?
Is it more satisfying to hold your enemy down, kicking and screaming, or to charge them down at full throttle as they try to run in futility?

Hold 'em!: Your Awesomenaut is...
Chase 'em!: Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 22: Do you bring the fight to the enemy, or bring your enemy to the fight?
Some can chase. Some don't have to.

Get over here!: Your Awesomenaut is...
Chase 'em down: Your Awesomenaut is...

Question 23: Are you a team player?
Some characters really depend on their team to get things done. But, if they stick to their team, they can be an unstoppable force. Others are a little more forgiving, a little less specialized, and are better able to defend themselves when needed.

Give me meatshields: Your Awesomenaut is...
Strong, independent support who don't need no bodyguard: Your Awesomenaut is...

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Last edited by Xelrog on Tue May 24, 2016 4:33 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Who's Your Awesomenaut?
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:01 am 

I'm ok with this :worship:

Even though I'm not a new player, I love these type of things :D
Nice questions! :thumb:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:24 am 

I got Ayla
... This is way too good

game needs more drastic, controversial changes so i can read more salty posts

Kailler wrote:
Democracy. Does. Not. Work.

Steam

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:16 am 

Location: Massachusetts, where weather is as unpredictable as a laggy Clunk
I got Sentry.

This reminds me of one of those adventure books.

"Do you want to go for Pepperoni or Cheese Pizza"

Cheese go to Page 92

Pepproni go to page 31

Page 92

While biting into the pizza, a bunch of goblins come and harvest your face-skin and use your skull as a tea-cup at their exotic parties.

Dice emoticon when?
Random Dice leaderboard icon pleaaaaaase
Steam!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:32 am 

I got Genji. This makes me happy.

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:00 am 

Would be better if you hid the Nauts so that you don't know what Naut to pick before you answer the question.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:29 am 
Adminaut

I did not get Gnaw.
THIS TEST IS A FAILURE :fist:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:38 am 

Emo Chapington wrote:
I did not get Gnaw.
THIS TEST IS A FAILURE :fist:

I'm sorry I failed you. ;_;

I'm glad it seems to be at least kindasorta accurate for most people, though. This is more for new players who don't already know their mains or where to even start with trying characters, though, just to give them a general idea of who might fit them.

Bets wrote:
Would be better if you hid the Nauts so that you don't know what Naut to pick before you answer the question.

Good point. But, this forum doesn't have any kind of spoiler tag support, does it? Would it be any better, you think, if I had plain text links with names rather than the images?

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:47 am 

Xelrog wrote:
Good point. But, this forum doesn't have any kind of spoiler tag support, does it? Would it be any better, you think, if I had plain text links with names rather than the images?

Just don't incorporate the final naut in the answer. Just say "go to question 21" and question 21 says "Your naut is lonestar!"

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:47 am 
Adminaut

Xelrog wrote:

You could always either go for hyperlinked [Button] or just have it as a name as Transparent text Wooooo~ *ghost effects* :shady: