Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: The Rookie Royale - CHECK IN BEGINS @ 14:00 UTC ON OUR DISC!
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:33 pm 

With the transition to free-to play underway
, comes the perfect time for an event that introduces newcomers into the competitive scene. Today, we are proud to announce one of the ALP-Initiative’s long-awaited events, The Rookie Royale!

The Rookie Royale is a tournament series that combines a matchmaking-like bracket system, which pairs teams against opponents of similar skill levels, with an involved learning experience through the form of veteran coaching and curated tutorial resources made by the Community!

It is an innovative new format created by the same talents of Warzone Weekly. Designed to be incredibly flexible and engaging to new competitors, we welcome all of you to jump in and enjoy the event!

If you want to enter your team into the Rookie Royale, just go to the following link and fill out the registration form: https://goo.gl/forms/xFn5SCnvbLuPlWEj1

A MINIMUM of three members is required in order to participate, with a MAXIMUM of four teammates being allowed per team.

You MUST set your Steam Profile statuses to PUBLIC throughout the tournament’s run. This is so that we can verify the participant’s play-times and identities.

To make sure your submission went through, or see the current roster of teams currently signed up, you can check through this link here: http://bit.ly/2szReM1

Once registered, just have your entire team ready during the check-in phase at the ALP'S Discord Server linked here: https://discord.gg/ZvR2evH

If you do not have Discord installed, you can download the program from here: https://discordapp.com/download

Make sure you have verified your Discord Account, otherwise you will not be able to enter our Server!

Lastly, we will be NOT be allowing established veterans to compete in this event. This will be handled on a case by case basis, being dependent on their accomplishments in competitive before registration. (Preferably, we would enlist them as coaches instead.)

If you need to update your roster line-up for whatever reason, simply contact one of the Staff members and they will update your roster as soon as possible. (This will be published further in the coming weeks.)

If you don’t have a team, yet still want to participate in the event, then you may register as a free-agent.

To become a Free-Agent, you will need to submit your registration in the following link here: https://goo.gl/forms/J32Qi9uCcMgFEGYA2

Similar to the team registrations, we will NOT be allowing any established veterans to compete in this event.

Likewise, you can also check if your submission has gone through from here: http://bit.ly/2qLRaMw

Once you have sent in your registration, all you need to do is show up to the week of the event during check-in at our Discord server linked here: https://discord.gg/ZvR2evH

If you do not have the program installed, download it here: https://discordapp.com/download

Make sure you have verified your Discord Account, otherwise you will not be able to enter our Server!

From there, you will be entered into the bracket in one of two ways:

-You will be teamed together with other Free-Agents and included into one of the brackets.
-You will be added in as a Temporary Substitute for one of the official teams. (Assuming they have an empty slot.)

If a team wants to invite you into their roster, you may join them provided they have a vacant slot and that their team captain contacts the staff to update their roster.

Veterans who want to participate in the event, may do so through the form of coaching. As a coach, you will be able to interact and communicate with the competing teams through a number of ways.

This includes the following:

-Open Communication with any of the competing teams.
-Recording Replay-Analysis with our graphic Assets for Livestreams or Youtube.
-Playing against the participants during Off-Days with friends or other coaches.
-Sharing your knowledge of Competitive through guides, experience, or discussions.

Veterans are encouraged to be creative with how they coach the participants as long as they follow the event’s rules & guidelines.

If you would like to register as a coach, you will need to submit an application to the following registration form: https://goo.gl/forms/yYDMwaDPxOkF224C3

We will review the submissions and get in contact with you once we have approved your status and verified your identity.

Every Swiss tournament will have a one hour check-in phase that begins at 14:00 UTC. Where teams must show up prepared and ready to go when the bracket start time arrives an hour later at 15:00 UTC.

Here are all of the countdowns associated with the tournament brackets and live-streams, of which will auto-convert the time to your region’s respective time-zone.

TOURNAMENTS:

JUNE 17TH SWISS: http://bit.ly/2rBNtbm
JUNE 24TH SWISS: http://bit.ly/2szDZuL
JULY 1ST SWISS: http://bit.ly/2ruI6sw

LIVESTREAMS:

All streams will be hosted at: http://www.twitch.tv/awesomenautsleagueproject

JUNE 18TH STREAM: http://bit.ly/2sBvFKV
JUNE 25TH STREAM: http://bit.ly/2qLDgG8
JULY 2ND STREAM: http://bit.ly/2rntUmZ

CHECK-IN START TIME:
14:00 UTC
BRACKET START TIME: 15:00 UTC
LIVESTREAM START TIME: 17:00 UTC

Bracket Type

The Rookie Royale
uses a Swiss Bracket format, where a predetermined number of sets are decided upon before the tournament begins.

Once the check-in phase completes and the bracket begins, all participants will play against their opponents until there is a winner. When the winners of the first round are decided, each of them will receive a point added to their overall score.

In Swiss, a round is not complete until all teams have finished their sets, as the results determine the match-ups of the following rounds.

Downtime between Rounds

While you wait for the other teams to finish their sets, you will be granted free-time to do whatever you’d like, as long as you obey the following:

-Do not Queue for matches until the tournament is finished.
-Once the next round begins, drop anything you are doing and begin your match.

Follow these guidelines so that your experience in the tournament is a smoother one.

Score-Based Matchmaking

At the start of the second round, the bracket will now match teams against opponents of similar skill-levels through scores. This means teams with points will be paired against others with the exact sum, with the same treatment applied to those without points.

Occasionally
, some teams will be paired against opponents with a higher or lower total if an exact pairing cannot be found. However, teams will only play against each other once throughout the bracket.

This process continues until the final round of the bracket is complete, with the best teams of the tournament being decided by who has the highest overall score.

Combined Hour Brackets

As there are many teams with differing skill-levels. The Rookie Royale will feature multiple brackets that include teams above or under a certain combined playtime. This is done to reduce the likelihood of games being one-sided and create more even match-ups.

We will have up to a maximum of three brackets, each featuring a specific amount of combined hour totals, such as the following:

First Bracket - 500 Hours or Lower
Second Bracket - 500-1000 Hours or Lower
Third Bracket - 1000+ Hours or Above

These thresholds may be adjusted based on the amount of teams signing up for the event in the future. However this should give you a general idea of what we are aiming for.

Bracket Scaling

Depending on the number of teams that show up to the tournament after check-in. The bracket will scale accordingly to accommodate to the numbers present.

This will decide the amount of sets to be played, as well as the amount of brackets used for that day.

All drafts will be done at http://www.NautsDrafter.com before every round. Here are all the rules for the tournament below.

Set Rules

Swiss Bracket
-Best of 3 for All Sets

Recording Rules
-Teams are NOT allowed to stream or record any tournament games.
-You must DISABLE Online Replay Sharing.

Draft Rules

NautsDrafter is required for all brackets. ( http://www.NautsDrafter.com )
-Draft Settings must be set to “Warzone Weekly” with the correct position for each team.

4 Bans Total: (2 for each team)
6 Picks Total: (3 for each Team)

Legal Maps (Maps allowed in Draft.)

-Ribbit IV
-Sorona
-Aiguillion

Banned Maps (Maps not allowed in Draft.)
-AI 205
-AI 404
-Starstorm

Bans apply to both teams:
-Which means a banned character can’t be played by either team.

Additional Rules:

-Only Dizzy is banned from play
-No Mirrors

In Swiss: Teams are decided by seed number.
-Lowest Seed: Team 1
-Highest Seed: Team 2

You must state which players are participating before the draft begins.

First Round Rules

A Veto phase begins before the first round:
-Team 1 will ban a map from play in the round.
(e.x: Team 1 bans Ribbit, so the round can’t be played on ribbit.)
-Team 2 will choose what map to play on from the available map pool.

Second Round & Beyond Rules

After the first round, there is no veto. Instead the losing team will choose both the draft order and which map the following round will be played on.

-(e.x: KillCups lost to WaterBowls first round. So 2nd round they may choose which team they want to be for the next draft. (They want to be Team 2 over Team 1, so they may do that.) They also want to pick ribbit, as it is the losing team’s map choice for every round after the first.)

Game Rules

Lobby Rules:
-Lag-tests can be done before or after the draft. Optional and up to both parties.
-No bots allowed
-Only players established before the draft may join.

Disconnect rules:
-If a player disconnects during a match after first blood has been drawn or a turret from either side has cracked on the mini-map. Then the match will continue as normal without breaks.

Replays/Draft lists must be submitted to rookieroyalereplays@gmail.com for verification and advancement in the bracket.

Last edited by Alexeus on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:55 am, edited 21 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Rookie Royale - Official Forum Thread/Sign Ups LIVE!
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 am 

cool, signed up.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:32 pm 

If I'm experienced player but have no experience in any tournament or competetive scene at all can I still take a part?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:13 pm 

I've participated in many tournaments and managed our local russian tourney in recent years but still suck at this game, especially after my 1 year hiatus. Do I count as a veteran even though I don't feel myself capable of doing things well anymore?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:09 pm 

Hello everyone!

I'll answer the following questions.

------------------------------------------

rybakowsky wrote:
If I'm experienced player but have no experience in any tournament or competetive scene at all can I still take a part?

Yes you can! Many players might have a situation similar to yours, so we don't see a need to restrict you from competing.

ಠ_ಠ wrote:
I've participated in many tournaments and managed our local russian tourney in recent years but still suck at this game, especially after my 1 year hiatus. Do I count as a veteran even though I don't feel myself capable of doing things well anymore?

Potentially, we'd have to look over your registration to know for sure. Send it in whenever you are able!

---------------------------------------------

If anyone else has any questions or comments at all, feel free to post them here!

From
-Alexeus & The ALP Initiative

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:35 pm 

I have a quick question related to team signups. Is it possible for my newb group + me (I've been playing since the start but only have ~75 hrs of gameplay and am only good at like 3 characters or so thus far) but still get a coach from the coaching set of players? You see, me and my friends are interested in trying competitive out if I can confirm they'd be available at such an early hour (it's apparently 10 AM in EST timezone for the time listed for showing up) and I wanted to make sure that we'd still get coaches if we apply as a group... Both of my friends are much newer than me, having played only in the f2p era, while I almost exclusively played in the very first pre-galactron or whatever era, but have been getting back to playing the game casually since f2p came out since that means I have new friends to play the game with. We only know one person so far that'd be a potential coach, and even then I don't know the user too well. So I was wondering if teams that don't bring their own coach can get a random coach or something. (Another question while I'm here: If one of our teammates can't show up, what happens then? Since it's just a team of 3, we don't really have backups at the moment)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:36 pm 

Btw can we register 4 players just in case someone won't be able to play?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:43 am 

Arctic Umbreon wrote:
I have a quick question related to team signups. Is it possible for my newb group + me (I've been playing since the start but only have ~75 hrs of gameplay and am only good at like 3 characters or so thus far) but still get a coach from the coaching set of players? You see, me and my friends are interested in trying competitive out if I can confirm they'd be available at such an early hour (it's apparently 10 AM in EST timezone for the time listed for showing up) and I wanted to make sure that we'd still get coaches if we apply as a group... Both of my friends are much newer than me, having played only in the f2p era, while I almost exclusively played in the very first pre-galactron or whatever era, but have been getting back to playing the game casually since f2p came out since that means I have new friends to play the game with. We only know one person so far that'd be a potential coach, and even then I don't know the user too well. So I was wondering if teams that don't bring their own coach can get a random coach or something. (Another question while I'm here: If one of our teammates can't show up, what happens then? Since it's just a team of 3, we don't really have backups at the moment)

Our roster of coaches will be available to speak/coach any of the teams competing in the event. So you don't need to bring your own coach, our roster will be happy to assist you or anyone else with anything you would need!

We'll be publishing the roster of coaches around the time the event launches.

------------------------------

If one of your registered teammates can't make it for the bracket, your only other option is to bring in one of the publicly listed free-agents, Otherwise, we won't be able to put you in the bracket.

You can find the public free-agent list in the opening post, or here for convenience: http://bit.ly/2qLRaMw

Just keep in mind that depending on their hour total and the number of teams present, it may dictate which bracket you will end up in.

rybakowsky wrote:
Btw can we register 4 players just in case someone won't be able to play?

You can register up to a Maximum of 4 members per team, so yeah, go for it!

From

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:20 pm 

Yay it's finally here! :ayla:

A few questions and a few pointers you might want to consider:
Questions:
  • I've never played in a tournament and have constantly been in League 3 despite having nearly 1200 hours. Does that make me a veteran? :huh:
  • I assume this is going to be over the summer? I'm probably going to find some part-time work over the summer. What happens if I'm unable to play for a game? What if I'm unable to play for the majority of my games?
    EDIT: I read above and see how that applies to teams. I signed up as a free agent, however. How does that affect me?

Suggestions:
  • (For those signing up) If you change your custom Steam URL a lot, try getting your SteamID64. This ID never changes, and putting it into your url bar will always bring you to your profile! An easy way to get your SteamID64 is to use SteamRep. Checking your profile (you can search by custom URL) will give you a bunch of information, including Steam Name, Steam3ID, SteamID32, SteamID64, custom URL, and Steam Rep Link! I have no idea what half of these are, but you only need the Steam64! :ayla:
  • (For the hosts) You might want to remind people to disable online replay sharing before each round; just as an added precaution. I know that there will likely be a lot of people (myself included - YouTube persona) who will want to share regular matches online and will likely have the option enabled when they're outside of tournaments.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am 

GuyBrush wrote:
Yay it's finally here! :ayla:

A few questions and a few pointers you might want to consider:
Questions:
  • I've never played in a tournament and have constantly been in League 3 despite having nearly 1200 hours. Does that make me a veteran? :huh:
  • I assume this is going to be over the summer? I'm probably going to find some part-time work over the summer. What happens if I'm unable to play for a game? What if I'm unable to play for the majority of my games?
    EDIT: I read above and see how that applies to teams. I signed up as a free agent, however. How does that affect me?

Suggestions:
  • (For those signing up) If you change your custom Steam URL a lot, try getting your SteamID64. This ID never changes, and putting it into your url bar will always bring you to your profile! An easy way to get your SteamID64 is to use SteamRep. Checking your profile (you can search by custom URL) will give you a bunch of information, including Steam Name, Steam3ID, SteamID32, SteamID64, custom URL, and Steam Rep Link! I have no idea what half of these are, but you only need the Steam64! :ayla:
  • (For the hosts) You might want to remind people to disable online replay sharing before each round; just as an added precaution. I know that there will likely be a lot of people (myself included - YouTube persona) who will want to share regular matches online and will likely have the option enabled when they're outside of tournaments.

Hey GuyBrush!

Let me answer these questions one by one.

#1. No, if you have never competed in an event before this one, you will not be considered a veteran. The only aspect in your case to have any impact for this event will be your hour-count, as this will determine the bracket you are placed in with your team.

#2.
The Tournaments are done every Saturday from June 17th to July 1st.

I'm going to assume you are referring to what happens during a tournament in progress?

In which case, if you happen to leave a team midway between matches, who also don't have their third teammate available. Then the team you were in will be given a set amount of time to resolve their issue, or risk being penalized for the delays.

If you are a free-agent in this situation, then you don't need to worry about penalties outside of poor conduct, as the system allows for you to leave without any issue. (Though you will be restricted to the team you were assigned with in the case you return later in the bracket.)

If you are referring to the registration itself.

Your registration is universal. That means once you sign up, you will be able to play in any of the tournament days throughout the event. If you can't make it on one weekend, you can simply join the next!

Thanks for the suggestions as well! We had already planned on reminding others before the event began as a precaution like you stated, though we appreciate you mentioning it either way.

I hope this information helps!

From