Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Update 4.1.1 LIVE NOW!
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:22 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Update 4.1.1
21-6-2017

Matchmaking
-Decreased rating of players with less than 120 matches played to keep them from being matched with pro players too quickly. This rating reduction already existed before, so the only change is that this is increased from 60 to 120 matches now. This will decrease the rating of all players with less than 120 matches played right away.
-Improved matchmaker algorithm to better find the best possible matchups.
-Increased matchmaking round duration outside peak hours to improve matchmaking quality (this change was already put live on June 16).
-Fixed a bug that caused the matchmaker to sometimes forget what map you just played on. This fix slightly reduces the odds of playing the same map twice in a row in matchmade games.
-Fixed a bug that caused the matchmaker to sometimes forget who you just played against. This fix slightly reduces the odds of playing against the same opponents twice in a row in matchmade games.

General
-Fixed that new updates to the main game did not download if you had switched to the beta (this fix was already put live on June 15).
-Fixed that in the map used for the ‘try’ feature, blue ‘Nauts would teleport to their death.
-Fixed that the SlowWolf announcer and related achievement weren’t always granted.
-Added several missing translations in the What’s New screen and addressed several typos and other translation errors.
-The "switch to previous tab" button in the profile screen works again.

Ayla
-Fixed that turning off Rage by shooting Evil Eye wouldn't trigger Rage cooldown.

Deadlift
-Fixed that the Bullbarian skin had the wrong background colour in the store for a premium skin.

Dizzy
-Fixed that shop items weren’t locked according to character level. Now it's just as with all the other nauts.
-Purple Prince Lipstick upgrade, removed second % sign in second upgrade description.
-Fixed red teamcolour’s minimap icon having a broken outline.
-Fixed that Dizzy didn't show recommended items.

Post subject: Re: Update 4.1.1 LIVE NOW!
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:01 pm 

Really... Where is the hit indicators on Dizzy Explosive Clone and the visual indicator on his gun for the boosted shot with Grafitti Artist? :think:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 pm 

Joost wrote:

Can you elaborate on this just a little? Was the balance tweaked to favor skill over ping a little more, or was it tweaked in some other way?

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:18 pm 

Played a few games, thank you for the new matchmaking, glad I could help, really work well. I now get people in my league or around there.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Xelrog wrote:
Joost wrote:

Can you elaborate on this just a little? Was the balance tweaked to favor skill over ping a little more, or was it tweaked in some other way?

The change was purely algorithmically. The matchmaker basically consists of two parts:
A. a score calculator that is used to compare two matchups and decide which is best.
B. an algorithm that looks for the matchup with the highest score.

The B part is very difficult: with 100+ players per round there are already so many possible matchups that you can't simply try them all, and the problem space is so complex that I suspect no algorithm exists that always finds the best matchup within an acceptable amount of time. So we made an algorithm that tries to find the best possible matchup and we improved that algorithm now. In other words: what it looks for is the same, but it's better at finding at.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:30 pm 

Matchups have not improved at all, still as absurdly horrendous as it's been in the past weeks. If anything they've made even less sense. I'm currently in the top 100 and whilst soloqueuing the matchmaker put me on the same team as Sam and Japiepatatzakie, both of whom are also in the top 100, against a team of league 2 players between ranks 1 500 - 10 000. If not for the massively inflated league sizes following the free to play launch, the rank ~10 000 player would likely be in league 4. Why would the matchmaker put me on the same team as Sam and Japie in this situation?

Latency seems to have gotten much lower since yesterday's update, everything else is either unchanged or has gotten worse. Still constantly matched alongside people who would normally be residing in league 6. Free to play has broken the matchmaking. It was in a reasonably enjoyable state prior to the free to play launch. Now it's just plain unfun most of the time.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:18 am 

In general it's got a little better but I'm still having some really bad games here and there. The right one bugged a bit but it's a league 3 player.
Had a league 9 in my game for some reason? Fed 3 times then ragequit.

Then just now I get thrown into this??? Why did it let someone from the UK enter a JP/china game?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 am 

Since the patch im playing a lot more against top L1 players while I am around 1000 place on the leaderboard. Also, I get matched with the same people a lot more. Kind of sucks to lose 4 matches in a row to the same L1 player because the matchmaking doesn't see the skill difference between players correctly.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:19 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

As I've explained before: the matchmaker can't split premades. Some of these might be caused by cross-region or cross-league premades. The images don't show that. If you have the replayIDs for these matches I can look up the exact situations there.

narol1990 wrote:
Since the patch im playing a lot more against top L1 players while I am around 1000 place on the leaderboard. Also, I get matched with the same people a lot more. Kind of sucks to lose 4 matches in a row to the same L1 player because the matchmaking doesn't see the skill difference between players correctly.

There was a bug live for about half a day where the matchmaker didn't try to avoid matching players against the same opponents anymore. This was fixed Thursday morning.

Note that playing against the same people is only avoided when possible. If no decent alternatives are available the matchmaker will put you with the same people.

Not matching players around rank 1000 with league 1 is just impossible, unless the whole top 1000 plays 20 hours per day. Regardless of how many players there are or how good or bad the matchmaking might be, a requirement like that is not possible without introducing 30 minute waittimes for matches. In case you never read it, this dev blogpost gives a nice explanation on why only matchmaking the top 500 with each other simply doesn't have enough players to do matchmaking.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:35 pm 

Joost wrote:

Good read, I like how everything is backed with math. I'll try to read more of your blog in the future.

"The top 5% of players are an enormous amount better than the top 33% of players". This is how it looks like in game. I understand there is no way to match these guys well, maybe at all, because of the number of players and the skill difference. Ok, now the issues I see here.

Since someone is so much better than me, can basically carry a L2 match alone and has 80% win rate, while i struggle to reach 50% win ratio, why is his leaderboard rating higher from my by around only 1500 points? I am between people with rating very close to mine on the leaderboard, so I probably belong where I am. But this amazing guy, shouldn't he be rated much higher? Shouldn't he have so much more rating than I do that mine rating wouldn't go down after losing to a guy who basically wins the game one vs three?

I think top players ratings are "deflated" or something. This is why I said the matchmaking doesn't see skill difference correctly.

Of course I lose against this amazing guy, odds of me winning are impossible here but still, I get punished by losing a lot of rating, while I can hold my own just fine playing against other people in L2. If someone is lucky and doesn't get matched against these 5% people he will get ranked a lot higher than me, although both of us can be very close in skill. If this keeps on happening, I'll be getting to L3 where I will be carrying matches alone just like that one amazing guy, until i get back to L2. Vicious circle.

This is what is wrong with the current algorithm, I believe, losing (impossible odds of winning) against much better players (happens often because there's not enough players) who should be rated higher in the first place (rating doesn't corresponds well to skill at the top of the leaderboard), hurts your rating a lot (and it shouldn't). Am I right or wrong in saying that there is something working wrong here? Can something improved on what i discussed?