Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Tutorial should be skippable
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:05 pm 

The tutorial is forced on both new and long-time returning players, takes up from 30 to 60 minutes and disallows you to play with your friends right away.

According to the steam reviews, out of the last 350 reviews there have been 20 reviews that specifically complained about the tutorial being too long and/or unskippable. I just searched the word 'tutorial' and could just pick them. Dates back to 26th of September. This means that over this time period out of every 17 reviews one has complained about the tutorial.

To top it off, Yogscast has just roasted the game twice by being showing their annoyance towards the tutorial the last days, rightfully so. They got bored and said they'd come back to the game on wednesday. This in front of 15k twitch viewers, so it's a pretty big deal and a missed oppurtunity to promote the game.

#MakeTutorialSkippable

Will Ronimo respond?

Post subject: Re: Tutorial should be skippable
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Japiepatatzakie wrote:
Will Ronimo respond?

[slightly muffled laughter as I gurgle into a cup of tea mid-swig]

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:43 pm 

this is just what I've been told from a dev, but apparently when they made the tutorial forced to noticed that less people dropped out.

Veterans being locked in the tutorial is a bug though and I'll agree it's very annoying.

Everyone of my friends I tried to get back in the game gave up after seeing/completing the tutorial.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm 

Gameinsky wrote:
this is just what I've been told from a dev, but apparently when they made the tutorial forced to noticed that less people dropped out.

But everything about a forced tutorial should be saying the opposite. It's what been told before, but I believe this is a really weak argument to defend a forced tutorial. Ronimo is immediately killing any kind of discussion on the benefits of a non-forced tutorial with this statement. Also, this statement means nothing to me until I get to see how they collected this information.

Because honestly my first question would be: What is considered dropping out?
1. Not even playing the tutorial, do these people even get registered in this, do they count? (Even if more people stay, more might won't even try)
2. Not playing an online match
3. Playing a custom as it doesn't count as a standard match
4. A number of matches, but too low to be considered dropping out. 5, 10, 100?
5. Does the 3rd part of the tutorial not count as a bot match, therefore manipulating the outcome of this question?

Also, what about all the people including yogscast that come together and want to play together. Does Ronimo want to take away this instant-play feature with friends and force everyone of them to go through 30 to 60 minutes tutorial?

Also it might just be completely unrelated reasons why people stay on the game longer because the updates bring in a lot of changes at once.

Proof me wrong.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:12 pm 

Not everyone new to the game jumps straight into online matches. When an existing player introduces a friend to the game, they might simply want to start by playing some custom or cooperative matches. While it's understandable that throwing inexperienced players into ranked matches is undesirable, forcing new players to go through an unskippable, single-player, 30 minute tutorial before even being allowed to use any of the game's functions, regardless of whether they have an actual person eager to guide them through the game, is simply bad design. Additionally, by replacing the "Abandon Game" button with "Restart Tutorial", there is no option to exit the game, which can present an accessibility issue.

"Turns out this game has a long, mandatory tutorial" (quote from the link in the original post) is not a good sales pitch that will convince all that many of the 15000 viewers of the Yogscast stream to get into the game. Viewers expected fun custom gameplay, and got a slow, drawn-out tutorial session (this was not directly in the linked clip, but took place in a past stream. In Japie's clip, they were going to play the game again, but postponed it because each of their players needed to complete the tutorial first).

Whether the Steam account has played Awesomenauts before is not a reliable indication of whether the person playing is new to the game, so veterans being forced into the tutorial again is less of a bug and more of a design flaw.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208349350 watch around 1:46:25

I feel terrible while watching this.

https://clips.twitch.tv/JazzyShakingSnakeDansGame

:facepalm:

https://clips.twitch.tv/NaiveFineApeTwitchRPG

:derp:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrunchySuspiciousEndiveRlyTho

It doesn't end.... :clap:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 pm 

gg no re.

Maybe this is all an elaborate plan because bad attention is also attention

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 pm 

That's pretty embarrassing. Especially not being able to exit the game during the tutorial. lmao.

my brain at 1:23am is a horse riding aa human as large as a t-rex with machine guns.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:42 pm 

did they change something just recently? i didn't have to do the tutorial when they overhauled it

edit: does ronimo really think that the tutorial is responsible for player retention?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:53 pm 

Japiepatatzakie wrote:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208349350 watch around 1:46:25

I feel terrible while watching this.

https://clips.twitch.tv/JazzyShakingSnakeDansGame

:facepalm:

https://clips.twitch.tv/NaiveFineApeTwitchRPG

:derp:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrunchySuspiciousEndiveRlyTho

It doesn't end.... :clap:

The entire Ronimo staff should be watching these clips. It's so EMBARRASSING.
It's like watching cringe comedy.