Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Tutorial should be skippable
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 am 

The Lord Protector wrote:
I thought the general consensus was that the old tutorial helped no one aside from those that had literally never platformed in their life.

It was about as barebones as they come.

Yes, but only because it looked bad being so short. All it really needed was to get a face-lift and maybe a couple more challenging obstacles after the easy ones. That's the most people wanted for the tutorial. We just wanted it not to look so bare bones, as you say. Small changes could have easily corrected that. Now it's overloaded with unnecessary things you should be able to learn in game in addition to being non-optional. :facepalm:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Japiepatatzakie wrote:
Will Ronimo respond?

[slightly muffled laughter as I gurgle into a cup of tea mid-swig]

Also isn't the tutorial skippable in general? I remember having the option to do the tutorial when it was fist added. Tutorial is no longer skippable. That's... odd.
Regardless, it basically gives you enough free AP for one 'Naut. There's no real reason not to do it.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Last edited by GuyBrush on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Remove unskippability of the tutorial
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 am 

After being humiliated on stream it should be a clear indication of how rough and boring the tutorial is. From my personal experience of introducing people to the game they just give up because they just want to play with friends, not play 2 tutorials and a soloqueue game. I think you guys actually managed to lock new players into a 40 minute tutorial, which is almost worthy of an award :shrug:

would be down to playtest

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:31 am 

I prefer the old tutorial.
It had flaws like giving your account 1 level up towards prestige every time you beat it, which made me replay it over and over again. It also had a single load time, blabl didn't have the most annoying voice actor ever, it was short and point and had master voice lines like:
HOT DIGGETY THEM CANNONS LOOK MIGHTY BIG!

I thought all that was necessary was to add a bit of dialogue explaining xp or something, not to force you into some draining levels with a nagging navi character. Might as well force them into a random nauts match where they get max as their naut against a sentaii sentry, pirate derpl and nibbs the dragon rp'er all taunt spamming and stunlocking the dps less max right after.
Fun match rite? :thumb: :raehands: :lolstar: :scoop: :party: :party: :party:

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

Jas123c wrote:
kathy wrote:
muncher.gif

this is a very serious question, please help :(

Post subject: Re: Remove unskippability of the tutorial
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:21 pm 

"Balance"
Also because this isn't on the front page of General. :voltarroll:

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:48 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

It sucks that Yogscast stopped playing because of this. :( It's certainly not intended that returning players are forced to play the tutorial.

However, as for new players, it is intended that they can't skip the tutorial. We've measured this extensively and the percentage of new players that still play the game 1 day and 7 days after first starting the game is significantly higher now that the tutorial can't be skipped. There are certainly some players who dislike being forced to play a tutorial, but we can see that the percentage of players who keep playing because of this is a lot higher than the percentage who drop out because of this.

We didn't know beforehand whether this was actually going to be an improvement, so we put it in as an experiment and we had planned to remove it if it turned out not to work. Since the percentages are so clear on this being an improvement for keeping newcomers playing, we've left it in.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:02 pm 

Joost wrote:
It sucks that Yogscast stopped playing because of this. :( It's certainly not intended that returning players are forced to play the tutorial.

However, as for new players, it is intended that they can't skip the tutorial. We've measured this extensively and the percentage of new players that still play the game 1 day and 7 days after first starting the game is significantly higher now that the tutorial can't be skipped. There are certainly some players who dislike being forced to play a tutorial, but we can see that the percentage of players who keep playing because of this is a lot higher than the percentage who drop out because of this.

We didn't know beforehand whether this was actually going to be an improvement, so we put it in as an experiment and we had planned to remove it if it turned out not to work. Since the percentages are so clear on this being an improvement for keeping newcomers playing, we've left it in.

I get that its a good thing for new players. Maybe just make the bot game where you play scoop a option rather than forcing people to do it.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Joost wrote:

Could you not exempt returning players from it, then? You must be able to tell the difference (in-engine) between a "veteran" and a post-F2P player.

Joost wrote:

Whatever difference playing the tutorial makes is irrelevant if players do not want to stick around anyway.

Joost wrote:

Based on what measurement of what playerbase conducted when?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post subject: Re: Remove unskippability of the tutorial
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 pm 

Bumping. Just create a new tab on the main menu called "Learn" and put all that * in there.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 pm 

At the very least, fix the fact that the bots on your team glitch back and forth in your base throughout the tutorial match. The impression you're sending new players is "this game is broken; they can't even get the tutorial to work properly"

main: :think:
second: :clap:
occasionally also play: :worship: :sleep: :scoop: :GnawShock: :rocco: :thumb: