Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Tutorial should be skippable
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
potterman28wxcv wrote:
We all know reasons why Awesomenauts do not retain its newbie playerbase ; unskippable tutorial is not one of them.

It certainly is not helping.

Considering that it has recently caused bad coverage witht the Yogscast, if it is not helping, I would say it is being actively detrimental to whatever retention we have left.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:53 pm 

The bad player retention is not caused by the mandatory tutorial. I'm sure Joost has number to back that up. What would be a much more interesting question is whether the XP-System has the same kind of numbers to support its existence, or has it actually caused this bad retention since it came out?

(PS. I know I won't get an answer for this because they don't have any :LeonWink: ).

The game has been in a downward spiral since the XP-System and team levels. Even if the game was balanced, SoloQ is a torturous experience to submit yourself to anymore. Idk how blind the devs must be to not understand how these two things are related.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 pm 

Ronimo should make it skippable it actually hurt them soo * much.

Also I would like to point out they should announce that it will be skippable because of all the players that forfeited after playing the tutorial halfway through might want to give it a second chance

edit: just to do damage control: make it skippable ASAP

would be down to playtest

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:36 pm 

Alright I have the mediating solution, the holy grail:

Stage 1: The Basics, unskippable
Stage 2: The 1v3 Scoop game, skippable but heavily rewarded (A naut or something, if you don't want to give an extra naut you can withdraw one from the free cast and reward it at the end of the tutorial)
No stage 3, maybe a reward for playing your first PvP game

The current stage 3 should be removed because there is no added value to being auto locked into a PvP. It is only an inhibition. There are two scenario's:

1 - You are trying the game out, without recommendation. Here there is no reason for it to be there because if the player plays the tutorial, the player is going to play a PvP game anyway. Because why would the player stop after the tutorial? The auto-lock kind of traps the player into waiting where it can't play a bot-game or a brawl.

2 - You are trying the game out, because your friends are playing it and invited you. This is the real stinger. You cannot join your friends that can teach you the game, instead you have to play a basic tutorial and a scenario simulation (these are fine but take about 20+mins), but then you are auto-locked into a PvP, a very slow paced game because everybody is very unexperienced.

would be down to playtest

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:12 am 

I was going to open a thread on this, glad to see one is already open. If you're not going to make it unskippable for a "new" player (returned with another legacy player and they were forced to go through it) at least make the tutorial bot mutable and display text only instructions.

Secondly for the bot game part of the tutorial you need to double check how those bots work as they bugged out a few times when I was trying it while my friend was forced to sit through it.

Thirdly, for the last part where you force all the new players (presumably) to immediately queue for another bot game. At least make it so friends can join that game, or lock out the online matchmaking until they do a co-op bot game.

While the old tutorial was flawed it was a decent quick and dirty intro to the game and it worked. This new one needs work if you're going to force everyone who tries your game to do it.

Steam: Cpudude30k

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/cpudude30k