Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Ronimo and Awesomenauts in 2018
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:58 pm 

ScR wrote:
So I really can't understand the negativity about upcoming new characters and other stuff.

The point against adding new characters at this rate is that they don't give the playerbase enough time to acclimate to the new "climate" of the game.

What most people don't seem to understand is: by adding another character, you've fundamentally changed the game that people play. The game before Dizzy existed, and the game after Dizzy came are two different experiences (I could tell you which one is worse but that's beside the point). So when they add a new character every 2-3 months without giving players a grace period to adjust to the new game, players feel like the game they enjoyed is gone and they're more inclined to leave. You just don't see people admitting that because most people are decent.

potterman28wxcv wrote:
You could also create skins for droids/turrets

That's something I never thought about that would actually be pretty cool. Just goes to show there are tons of ways to add content to the game besides just characters.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:45 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
ScR wrote:
So I really can't understand the negativity about upcoming new characters and other stuff.

There is a massive difference between "putting out good content in a timely manner" and "rushing out content to maximise profit".

One is healthy, if sometimes slower, and the other will kill a game dead in its tracks unless it has an absolute stranglehold over its customer base, like Dota and League of Legends do (and, I suppose to an extent, Heroes of the Storm).

Awesomenauts is neither large enough, nor is Ronimo well-known enough, to pull it off successfully, in my opinion.

Skins for droids and turrets has been suggested before and was generally well received. I quite like the idea. I can't remember if we also decided on skins for the map but I can see how that would be a very large (read: unreasonably so) amount of work to implement.

Obligatory "golden guns" from GuyBrush as well.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Last edited by The Lord Protector on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:51 pm 

Hey, this is good news! Glad I didn't give up checking in on nauts.

For the record, I agree that this focus on releasing new characters all the time is... not healthy. Not that more new characters are bad, but they all feel spread thin lately- with slightly uninteresting or uninspired items and abilities.

New skins and such for old characters, map elements like turrets and bouncers, etc, might be a way to make more money without releasing new characters all the time... so while my interest in that is moderate at best, I'd understand and approve if it became a focus.

But in my opinion, player retention and quality of life for the game would go up very quickly if retooling old nauts was a priority. Several still need some kind of rework for overly centralizing items, or retooled abilities/ general kits to keep up with the cast.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:53 am 

any eta for the next streamisho?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:26 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Making improvements to existing characters is definitely in the cards for 4.6, and even though the newer 'Nauts don't all have the versatility of the original gang there should definitely be room to grow for them. Jasper will start working on changes for 4.6 soon, so stay tuned!

With regards to the next Streamisho, I honestly expect one in a week or two. Setting a date for the console update is almost done, so we'll have one show to focus on that update then probably have another one not too long after that about 4.6.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:40 am 

Robin wrote:
We'd hereby like to announce that in addition to working on Awesomenauts, we'll also be working on other games this year. The first project we'll be taking on in parallel with continued Awesomenauts-development is Viking-themed and will probably surprise few of you (though we hope it will have many of you excited). You can expect more news on that soon!

Vikings? An entire game about Valentina? Now you've got my attention.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:06 pm 

Thanks for the update guys! Great to hear you’ll be continuing to support Awesomenauts into 2018! Hearing a new ‘Naut is in the works is a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one! :ayla:

I will say however that if the plan is to slow the development of Awesomenauts this year and forward, it may be a good idea to focus more on long-term improvements to the game over new characters. Balance and bug fixing is of course, paramount importance, but it may be worth investing time into more modding tools, third skins for characters that currently lack one, and more unlockable items from progression (that take quite a while to achieve) to keep players around for longer in the absence of new additions.

I’m excited to see what this year brings for Ronimo, and so long as your next project is released on a console I own, I’ll be sure to support it! S&S2 looked like a real gem and it was unfortunate I couldn’t get my hands on it.

P.S. <3 you guys!

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:40 pm 

It would be nice to see some premium skins for the characters that don't have them I guess.

my brain at 1:23am is a horse riding aa human as large as a t-rex with machine guns.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:08 pm 

Sryder13 wrote:
It would be nice to see some premium skins for the characters that don't have them I guess.

Would be nice to have consistent skin contests honestly, they've produced some of the best looking skins for said characters.

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:17 am 

conorbebe wrote:
Balance and bug fixing is of course, paramount importance, but it may be worth investing time into more modding tools, third skins for characters that currently lack one, and more unlockable items from progression (that take quite a while to achieve) to keep players around for longer in the absence of new additions.

This.

Balance is something that will probably never satisfy all players at the same time, so its hard to say how much tweaking is "enough". Fixes for bugs are very often easily identified by the portion of this community that has become obsessed with the inner workings of the game but lack the ability to make relevant changes. A large number of people who had became curious about modding lost most interest when told they couldnt do much of anything regarding how characters play/skills etc.

Tho the current modding tools are great for making maps for vanilla 3v3 AN games, i think a huge amount of creativity has been stifled. Settings editor would help all this and im sure there are some who would dedicate huge portions of time to create their visions.

Barring actual settings editing support, some tweaks to current tools would do wonders. Custom skins, for example, are nearly possible now but animations which follow the character are limited to single-player/client-side. Allowing cursor location to be used in AI would be crazy awesome. Even if 1-2 new creep types were to be added purely for mod purposes (i could create all the relevant settings stuff for you) then many doors would open.

Of course the big caveat to this is that there needs to be a central 'main game' for ranked play to use. However i dont think it would be impossible for players to establish their own independent ranking system for use in organizing matches in modded modes. We could also have a system where bug fixes made by players could be reviewed and merged into the main game.

I'd even be willing to create skins and such which, if found to work correctly and be of sufficient quality, be placed into the armory for sale (reserving no rights to $ made from purchases).