Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: It ends not with a bang, but a very, very slow whimper...
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:50 am 

I'm usually very positive about things, but the decline of the game is worrying me.

http://steamcharts.com/app/204300#1y

It's been worse before, but back then Ronimo had grand (debatable) plans for the future. Now we have like, one naut in development, and the company isn't focusing on nauts anymore.

I love the game, and it's perfectly playable right now. I just hope it doesn't end up drying up into a dry, barren wasteland.

If you want a short name for me, just use Sten.

Post subject: Re: It ends not with a bang, but a very, very slow whimper..
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Been here, said this.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:26 pm 

considering the lack of updates or new promotions, this is surprisingly good.
Most people that play Awesomenauts, play the game casually and only play when something new happens.
Having over 450 players at any given moment shows that there are a lot of dedicated gamers playing Awesomenauts.
For a 5 year old game this is rather impressive. :party:

If you take a look at the previous player averages during January, you will see that this is nothing new either.
I'm sure the game will survive as long as the loyal fan-base enjoys playing Awesomenauts. Rocket nerf when?

Your opinion is one of the reasons Sentry is in it's current state

Steam
Youtube [best montages]

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Jas123c wrote:
Most people that play Awesomenauts, play the game casually and only play when something new happens.
Having over 450 players at any given moment shows that there are a lot of dedicated gamers playing Awesomenauts.
For a 5 year old game this is rather impressive. :party:

The exact same could be said for Dota, though. Literally word for word, save for the "450" being slightly higher. Something has gone wrong somehere.

I appreciate that Valve are a tad more experienced, but there is a limit to that being useful. Games sell irrespective of the developer (see EA for that particular fault).

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:13 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
The exact same could be said for Dota, though. Literally word for word, save for the "450" being slightly higher. Something has gone wrong somehere.

I appreciate that Valve are a tad more experienced, but there is a limit to that being useful. Games sell irrespective of the developer (see EA for that particular fault).

You are comparing a small indie company with a multi million dollar company, that literally owns steam. :voltarroll:
I think you might be asking a little bit too much from Ronimo...
Ronimo was (and is) very dedicated on making Awesomenauts a succes, and managed to get a lot of attention to their game in the early days (The Yogscast, Polaris and the Alienware tournament).
However no one is interested in promoting a 5 year old game.

Honestly these statistics are somewhat impressive compared to most 5 year old indie games.
And all that really matters for keeping the game "alive", is that the current fanbase enjoys the game.
Why not give Ronimo a little bit of credit where is due?

Steam
Youtube [best montages]

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:26 pm 

"Does Awesomenauts is die?" thread #578156789123756798112365873

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 pm 

Jas123c wrote:
You are comparing a small indie company with a multi million dollar company, that literally owns steam. :voltarroll:

Read what I said again. Being an indie company makes very little difference if the product is well-made and well-advertised. See Cuphead for that particular crash course. Naturally, Valve has an easier time advertising than Ronimo ever could, but that's one of the hurdles you have to overcome in the rollercoaster that is "not everyone is equal, start dealing with that".

Outside of the Alienware tournament, which is one in five years, there has been very little (if any, really) incentivisation from Ronimo. Were the community lead tournaments not self-funded, or was there additional input from Ronimo that I'm not aware of?

As was said, there seems to be very little actual future planning going on (from what I can tell in Robin's thread). Considering that a lack of future planning is debatably what cause F2P to flop so badly and effectively doom any potential playerbase growth, it's a tad alarming. Growing the playerbase by 2,000 and then having those 2,000 people leave the next month is not beneficial in any way, shape, or form, and I will cry tears of acid if someone tries to tell me it is.

Of course, credit where it's due, the artwork is nice.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 pm 

Read what I said again. Being an indie company makes very little difference if the product is well-made and well-advertised. See Cuphead for that particular crash course. Naturally, Valve has an easier time advertising than Ronimo ever could, but that's one of the hurdles you have to overcome in the rollercoaster that is "not everyone is equal, start dealing with that".

Yes I read the brief disclaimer to your post, I simply disagree with what you wrote.
Take a look at any Blizzard game, people aren't just playing their games because they're good, but also because they are Blizzard games.
Ronimo does not have this reputation nor gigantic fanbase. So how can you expect Ronimo's game to be just as succesful as Overwatch or w/e game a giant gaming company will make?

Cuphead is a bad example in this case, because the game is still new and is not a MOBA.
as you said yourself it also came crashing down after all the hype died down : link.

Outside of the Alienware tournament, which is one in five years, there has been very little (if any, really) incentivisation from Ronimo. Were the community lead tournaments not self-funded, or was there additional input from Ronimo that I'm not aware of?

As was said, there seems to be very little actual future planning going on (from what I can tell in Robin's thread). Considering that a lack of future planning is debatably what cause F2P to flop so badly and effectively doom any potential playerbase growth, it's a tad alarming. Growing the playerbase by 2,000 and then having those 2,000 people leave the next month is not beneficial in any way, shape, or form, and I will cry tears of acid if someone tries to tell me it is.

Of course, credit where it's due, the artwork is nice.

They have sponsored several tournaments in the past, tried to advertise the game on websites and even had reviewers like Total Biscuit voice Vinnie and Spike.
How can you still claim Ronimo hasn't tried their hardest to advertise Awesomenauts?
Not everything they have done worked out as they planned, but that doesn't mean they showed no incentive as you claim.

As for the future, I think we all knew the F2P hype would not last all that long. It was Ronimo's final option I feel.
I don't blame them for slowing down the updates on a 5 year old game. They are a company also and need to make money somehow, I think they might go bankrupt if they only work on Awesomenauts for the next years. :voltarroll:

That does not mean the game has to die out however, even with less updates people that enjoy the game will keep playing. (look at TF2 for example, the game had moments where it only updated once a year and it was one of the most played games out there.)

Steam
Youtube [best montages]

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:19 pm 

Jas123c wrote:
Yes I read the brief disclaimer to your post, I simply disagree with what you wrote.

Oh, okay.

Jas123c wrote:
Take a look at any Blizzard game, people aren't just playing their games because they're good, but also because they are Blizzard games.

How do you think the tag of "a game by Blizzard" came to be associated with "good", "well-crafted", or "questionably written, but still sound"?

Jas123c wrote:
Ronimo does not have this reputation nor gigantic fanbase. So how can you expect Ronimo's game to be just as succesful as Overwatch or w/e game a giant gaming company will make?

I don't, and that's not what I said. See next point:

Jas123c wrote:
Cuphead is a bad example in this case, because the game is still new and is not a MOBA.
as you said yourself it also came crashing down after all the hype died down : link.

Cuphead has also won ten awards (and is currently waiting on 16 more as I type) and catapulted the teeny tiny, family-based development team into (Cheeto-coated) stardom. Of course the numbers were going to crash given it's a linear succession of bossfights.

My point is that Ronimo have the absolute prime opportunity to do exactly the same thing with Awesomenauts—think about it. The game has something that the other MOBAs cannot ever compete with: it's 2D. Ronimo could take that and jump with it and fill the little niche, but instead they'e spinning in circles, trying to be like every other MOBA. What's the point? In what reality, as you yourself said, are Ronimo ever going to compete with Valve or Riot?

Jas123c wrote:
They have sponsored several tournaments in the past, tried to advertise the game on websites and even had reviewers like Total Biscuit voice Vinnie and Spike.
How can you still claim Ronimo hasn't tried their hardest to advertise Awesomenauts?
Not everything they have done worked out as they planned, but that doesn't mean they showed no incentive as you claim.

I was under the impression, from what others had said, that Ronimo didn't really offer any support for tournaments. I think that was said several times on the forums a few months back.

Also, "tried to advertise"... so, didn't? My point, more or less.

I also didn't claim they "showed no incentive". I said "there has been very little (if any, really) incentivisation from Ronimo", as in they aren't making people want to play the game. They're trying really hard and none of it is working. See next point:

Jas123c wrote:
As for the future, I think we all knew the F2P hype would not last all that long. It was Ronimo's final option I feel.

Going F2P is sort of the Ace-up-the-sleeve: you can only do it once, so you'd better make it count. Team Fortress milked their F2P (re)release so hard they struck cream. Did Ronimo?

Ah, nah.

That's the problem. The F2P release could have brought many more permanent players to the game had it been handled properly (and had the matchmaking been stress tested like everyone on the forums was figuratively screaming), and I would be all happy clappy now and singing Kumbaya. Instead, they rushed it and something derailed. Or, more accurately, everything derailed.

On the one hand: long-term planning. On the other hand: demonstrable lack of exactly that.

Jas123c wrote:
I don't blame them for slowing down the updates on a 5 year old game. They are a company also and need to make money somehow, I think they might go bankrupt if they only work on Awesomenauts for the next years. :voltarroll:

I am hoping the new project is going to have some life to it.

Jas123c wrote:
That does not mean the game has to die out however, even with less updates people that enjoy the game will keep playing. (look at TF2 for example, the game had moments where it only updated once a year and it was one of the most played games out there.)

See point about F2P releases.

Still, discussion's good.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:39 pm 

Do you mind if I just get rid of all the quotes? I feel it's easier this way.

The thing with Blizzard games is, is that they are well known because they made good games in the past. My point was that Ronimo does not have this luxury, since they don't have millions of players on Ronimo.net seeing ads for their latest games.

You were comparing Ronimo to Valve, my point being that Ronimo doesn't have the same assets as Valve has. And that comparing Dota with Awesomenauts would be a weird thing to do.

Other MOBA's adapted those mechanics because players were experiencing things that were not fun or competitive in their eyes. Why would you reinvent the wheel?
Don't get me wrong I'm against blatantly copying mechanics between different games, but it doesn't hurt to see what X company did when they were experiencing Y problem. And then see how you can implement that in a different scenario.

They used to provide actual cash to their tournaments in the past, alongside with a lot of other things. This slowly became less after the competitive scene became smaller.
It's in recent tournaments, that they only provide Skins for the top 3 teams. if I recall correctly Pillow had to fund most of the things for Rumble out his own money indeed.
The DOJO medals are nice though. :raehands:

They tried to advertise and did a pretty good job for a new Indie dev: Example 1, Example 2.
I believe Awesomenauts sold over 1,7 million copies before it went free2play, so player retention was the biggest issue I feel. Seeing things like this isn't helping either.
Keep in mind however that the dedicated players are the ones who make or break the game, I doubt that these potential new players would still be playing today. (even with better player retention)

Idk, I feel F2P was doomed to fail. As you said, maybe if people had more reason to play the game, the hype might've lasted longer. Golden guns when?

Yea, I enjoy a good discussion. :scoop:

Steam
Youtube [best montages]