Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Why Are Items Locked Off?
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:59 pm 

So, this has been a thing for a while, a long while, and I never fully understood it, why are items locked off to players from the start?
I feel like it's mostly here out of a sake of tradition, locked items have been a thing for ages, I suppose it creates a sense of accomplishment or progression, but so would something like a mastery system. The locked items feel like a dated system that should be done with, in my opinion, from the perspective of a player trying out a new naut, it's just incredibly frustrating to not have access to all the upgrades. I don't understand the worry about players being overwhelmed because as long as they have simple upgrades as well as recommended items, purchasing items can be pretty straightforward. I sort of noticed this in the beta when I had to unlock Qi'tara's upgrades, when if I really wanted to test her stuff out, it would have been better to have full access to everything, is it really that different here?

I can't even think of a naut build where the first 3 upgrades in each row were considered an optimal build although that's very subjective, my idea of an "optimal" build for Rae doesn't buy Pump Rifle until 1,800 solar in. , I think players who just got the awesomepoints needed to unlock the naut they were excited to play should get access to all their items to test them out, locking them off until they've played a couple matches is just frustrating, and doesn't allow experimentation with the naut they unlocked, even if it's in free rotation, the experimentation is being limited, and can easily leave a bad first impression.

In conclusion, I think all the upgrades should be available for unlocked nauts, no matter how new the person is, if they need guidance on what items to purchase, they can look up guides, and they can also consult the recommended build that the shop provides.

At the very least, the utility row should always be open. I don't need to be an expert at Deadlift to know I want barrier magazine.

The Lord Protector wrote:
The solution to this is having droids that are actually a threat instead of a joke.

Post subject: Re: Why Are Items Locked Off?
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 pm 

I used to kinda accept this mechanic but overtime it's really gotten on my nerves as well. I came to notice it while grinding the 3 levels on Qi'Tara that very often some of the best most meta-defining upgrades for a 'naut are unlocked at their second or third level.
I did say it was fine when more niche upgrades were hidden behind levels so newer players would have to gain a basic understanding of the 'naut first. (Example: Derpl's Bat Cat and snare combos) But more and more we've been getting some core upgrades locked off at later levels like counter upgrades (BKM is the most obvious mention. Things like Chucho's BOOM! Gas and Spiked Fenders also come to mind), combo upgrades (all of Ksenia's combo upgrades [Steel Feathers + TGatB, RM + VRH, Bobcat in general], all of Dizzy's combo upgrades [Grafiti Artist, Concrete Wall, Obessive Fan Mail, Fake Bandaid]), and raw damage?! (Killer Ketchup on QT, Sandworm Tail on Smiles, Worn out Kettlebell on DL)

Okay general rule of thumb for Ronimo if they decide to keep this archaic mechanic for no reason other than shear stubborness (which they have proven is a damn good reason for them [Drill Shields]) - Damage, the thing you use to kill should never be locked behind levels. Having damage locked behind levels means that a player just starting out as a 'naut will always be objectively worse than someone who's played the 'naut for a bit.
These are accusations that Call of Duty and League of Legends get (well in League's case got) CONSTANTLY. Ronimo should've seen it and taken a hint.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:39 pm 

There is nothing else to lock in the game. It's more of a tradition. And polite players start playing new characters with bots, so feeling underpowered there is not likely.

Ofcourse, when someone got to top 10 playing only Frog+Skoll, starting up new chars without all upgrades being avilable is frustrating. And they don't instantly get golden guns and medals for that either. What a disrespectful game! :aylaroll:

On the other hand, having some additional CoD-like progress unlocks would be sweet. Knife bipods, laser-guided weedlings, stuff like that.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:56 pm 

a strange relic of old design

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Because...

...Ronimo can't be bothered to change it

...there needs to be something to work towards aside from an increasingly poor K/D ratio

...the upgrade system leaves a lot to be desired

Choose one (or all three, I won't judge).

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 am 

Well, one of the things I picked up over the years is that if there's any progression that happens in a multiplayer pvp game outside of the actual game, it shouldn't affect gameplay. I know this isn't that big of an issue because you can get out of this with each naut by playing a couple bot matches, it's more of a hassle than anything.

I just feel like this should have been done away with ages ago, and the f2p update would have been a great time to do so. If they want to make a means of progression, flashy simple cosmetics could be an easy method of doing so, a mastery system would probably be even easier. Maybe instead of a fizzle when you kill an enemy naut it shows confetti and the mastery or something dumb and fun like that.

The Lord Protector wrote:
The solution to this is having droids that are actually a threat instead of a joke.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 pm 

Why are you complaining about it? In 3 matches maximum you unlock them all anyway?

In the old system yeah it sucked big time because you had to play a lot of matches before unlocking them. In the new one I don't see any issue. Any time I pick up a new naut, a couple of matches and i get all the unlocks.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm 

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Why are you complaining about it? In 3 matches maximum you unlock them all anyway?

• Losing bot matches give no experience. (I know bot matches are pretty easy but with the idiots who usually play them anything is possible.)
  • Players with low-leveled 'nauts playing in online matches are at a direct disadvantage when compared to higher leveled players.
  • All that aside it's still a time sink that can get kinda annoying, especially if one is only doing it so they can have a fighting chance in case they random a character they barely play.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:42 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
potterman28wxcv wrote:

Doesn't that make it even worse? There's not even a sense of progression—there's just an arbitrary "loading screen" of games you have to sit through before you play the game proper.

You're right to say that it's not really noteworthy, but if it's also entirely unrewarding, what purpose does it serve aside from being annoying as a criterion to fulfill?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:46 am 

It saves people from being too overwhelmed when they play a naut for the first time.

It's a poor argument since there are way better ways to get around that than just locking the items until lvl 3 but it is still a somewhat valid argument.

A better solution would be to just highlight the first 3 columns as being "recommended for new players" or "basic items" etc.

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!