Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Ronimo, please help us pad players!
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:49 am 

Hey guys, how are you doing? First of all, sorry for the dramatic title haha. I'm kinda new here (through I check the foruns on occasion from some time) so forgive me if I do any mistakes (and also, my english may not be very good...). So let's get to the point: I'm a pad player (tried mouse + keyboard and the dual stick configuration a few times, didn't work) so I've been think of solutions to help us get similiar conditions (read: walk in one direction and aiming on another at the same time).

>Suggestion 1: Let's say that, aside from controlling a character with the left analog stick, I also assign the L1 and R1 as alternate buttons to walk left and right respectively. And, as I hold one of these buttons to walk in that direction, my left stick becomes my aim stick. Once I release it, it comes back to the normal function. This would make us get the same effect as mouse/keyboard with one single stick, a faster, more confortable and a lot easier way than the dual stick im my opnion;

>Suggestion 2: Add a "Hold position" button. The same concept as above, as I hold the button I lock in place and my stick becomes the aim. Once I release I can walk again. Simples as that;

>Bonus suggestion for Max Focus: Since this character does not need a button to go up and down, make so that holding the jump button also make him go upwards. The same if you go downwards (I actually L2 to go down). I think this will help if the first suggestion gets implemented, since he is unique in this attribute.

And thats it, all of this is to help close the gap between all kind of players, giving all the same options in a easier way than the dual stick configuration as I said. So, what you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ueltonpnjr on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ronimo, please help us pad players!
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:19 am 

You can set your controls so, that you only use the shoulder buttons. Its kinda awkward, but you can get used to it. Also, if you have the $\€\£\¥, XboxOne Elite controller has a special button layout (extra buttons) which allows you to play any game without using the normal ABXY buttons and you can use both sticks while pressing the buttons.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:12 am 

IsoKoala wrote:
You can set your controls so, that you only use the shoulder buttons. Its kinda awkward, but you can get used to it. Also, if you have the $\€\£\¥, XboxOne Elite controller has a special button layout (extra buttons) which allows you to play any game without using the normal ABXY buttons and you can use both sticks while pressing the buttons.

Yeah, I already knew that, and as you said it's kinda awkward, but thanks anyway. I made some experiences, but none of them feels natural for me. I currently play with buttons assign to aim in one specifc direction in a straight line while I control with the stick, it's the closest I can get to have the desired effect, but of course it's miles away from mouse/keyboard. Anyway, let's hope for the best. Best regards.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:16 pm 

Not the answer you're looking for but

Just play dual stick with essentials mapped to the shoulder buttons. You'll get used to it after a week of practice.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:04 pm 

robochase6000 wrote:
Not the answer you're looking for but

Just play dual stick with essentials mapped to the shoulder buttons. You'll get used to it after a week of practice.

I might try this way again, but would be great to have other options. Thanks for the reply.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:28 am 

Have you tried putting just AA to L1/2? This way the only front button you need is jump, so you can aim freely while not jumping at least, and this system is pretty comformatable to learn.

Also be sure you have "fall down platforms" set just to "Stick down", and not "down+jump" as its by default. I played like half a year not realizing that I had a huge handicap due my falling down platforms having 0.5s ish pause every single time lol.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:48 am 

IsoKoala wrote:
Also be sure you have "fall down platforms" set just to "Stick down", and not "down+jump" as its by default. I played like half a year not realizing that I had a huge handicap due my falling down platforms having 0.5s ish pause every single time lol.

i actually mapped fall down to R1/RB. i find it essential & i hate sometimes accidentally triggering it with the stick. i'm trash, but i like it this way. at a minimum i do recommend iso's suggestion

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 pm 

IsoKoala wrote:

Agreed. I felt pretty stupid once i realized that and how clunky it felt to have a delay whenever it was necessary to go down (i also had the handicap of playing with less than 30 fps for most of the time but thankfully that is no longer an issue).

I'll also agree with the OP, Max Focus is atrocious to control with a gamepad given how you can't aim (or barely aim) his AA while floating backwards and aiming the Scene Illumination and Slow Bubble also feels off with the default setting. There are a couple of characters who are a bit awkward to play with a controller but Max Focus is by far the worst Naut in that regard.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:49 pm 

If you set your pad acordingly, Max is actually the easiest with pad. Since you dont need to worry about jumping, its pretty easy to use his controls with 2 sticks and aim constantly if you just have AA set to shoulder button.
Imho Raelynn (aiming obviously), Rocco (same here) and funnily enough Skolldir are hardest. I just cant get hold of that jumpy jumpy Skolldir dance where you face at one direction and jump back and forth while punching with gamepad.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 pm 

My fall down is L2, and R1 is to aim right and R2 to aim left, this way I can walk back and aim foward (in a straight direction I know, but it's something). Never played, but I agree the dual stick might work for Max. But with the suggestions I gave, do you guys think the controls overall would be better?