Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: been over half a year since last ladder reset
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:21 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Alpha Z wrote:
Regardless of Ronimo's thoughts on what the purpose of the leaderboard is...

Considering that they're the ones that would make the change, I'd say their opinion on how the leaderboard should function is quite important indeed. You'd need to convince them that resets are indeed healthier for the game than stagnation.

It's also nice to see you all turning on the Awesomepoints system like I did—makes me feel slightly less insane.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 pm 
Adminaut

I'm not turning on the Awesomepoints system, I'm against how little there is to spend them on. If there was some proper rewards and goals to work towards outside of the leaderboards then I don't think people would get nearly as salty about the leaderboards being nothing more than a matchmaking tool in Ronimo's eyes. I still think they should get reset anyways, but it wouldn't feel so vital if the game had something else for us to strive for, ya know?

As it stands though those rewards don't exist, so regular leaderboard resets should be in Ronimo's interests right now.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I see.

The problem that there's nothing for veterans to spend Awesomepoints on was raised so many times before the dust of the release settled that I'm surprised nothing new was added. I'd even tolerate those damn golden guns that GuyBrush keeps banging on about, if it ment Awesomepoints would have a value.

At any rate, from the Ronimonkey's mouth, the leaderboards were only designed to be a tool for the matchmaker. Of course, that doesn't make sense anyway, because resets used to be a thing, which makes the sudden change of tune... strange.

I don't know what's convinced them that the leaderboards aren't a progression system anymore, but it does make me question the sense of direction for the matchmaker at least.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 pm 
Adminaut

I could obviously be wrong about this, but I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if Ronimo has always had this view of the leaderboards. Back when resets were more regular, they were also more "necessary". The game was gaining a lot of players at that point and due to how their leaderboards work, the resets were needed to give the new players a chance to move up in rank.

Now...we don't really have new players coming in, at least not at the rate they were coming in before, and resets aren't as "necessary" because of that. Pretty much anyone who plays the game these days is a regular and I'd assume most of them are where they deserve to be on the learderboards at this point. A reset would shake things up for a bit and then everyone would fall back into pretty much the same spot as they were before.

As I've said before, I do think resets should resume anyways to add a bit more excitement to the game, but for the reset to have any real meaning outside of the temporary shake up, I think the matchmaking needs more work. And, well...something big and not rushed to draw players back so the game can have a healthy amount of players again, and thus more names and ranks to fill up the board and help the matchmaking.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:16 pm 

I agree, but let me ask you a very fair question:

If Ronimo couldn't achieve this with the matchmaking "back in the day", what possible chance is there for that to happen now, considering that development time is being split between at least two projects, one of which is new and likely demanding of more time as a result?

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 pm 
Adminaut

Admittedly far less likely, but I won't put it past them to pull it off. I thought Galactron was a decently large step in the right direction (even if it wasn't enough), which shows me they are capable of improving the matchmaking if they put the time (and money) into such improvements. And with the current beta attempting to tackle the balance issues of so many characters at once, it's clear to me that they're still very willing to put effort into this game.

So until Nauts is really dead, I'll put some faith in Ronimo. I doubt it'll ever reach the heights of the old days, but they still might be able to find a way to draw in some more players and keep them for awhile. I've had way too much fun with this game to give up on it, so I'm gonna stay optimistic for now. :P

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:57 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
I'd even tolerate those damn golden guns that GuyBrush keeps banging on about,

GIBE GOLDEN GUNZ PLIZ :rocco:

Honestly for me it's pretty much the same. I don't really want Golden Guns, as I've honestly always found weapon skins a tacky fad pushed forward by Valve to try to stop the CS:GO community from realizing that they've been playing the same game for 10 years.
I just want something that I can sink AP into. And I do honestly mean sink: something that I'd genuinely have to grind for.

After 1300 hours there's little to do in this game that I haven't done before. I've seen it all, and there's no reason to keep seeing it. Not even bragging rights.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: :think: #BuffBoiCow Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 pm 

Alpha Z wrote:
I thought Galactron was a decently large step in the right direction (even if it wasn't enough)...

Here's a quote from Joost's Dev Blog that I found really interesting:

Joost's Dev Blog wrote:
We're currently rebuilding the entire matchmaking, menus and party system of Awesomenauts. This rework is called Galactron. This is a huge operation: especially the matchmaking part is highly complex. We've done a bunch of betas for it so far and last week we let it run live for everyone for 48 hours.

A "huge operation" that was "highly complex" and had loads of beta testing (in another post, he describes that as something like "months of beta testing") was only a large step in the right direction? A large step in the right direction that even you admit wasn't enough?

Bear in mind that Galactron had the whole of Ronimo's development time and focus dedicated to it and was, as said, a massive undertaking, and still it didn't solve the problem—back when the problem wasn't even as enormous as it is now. I'd like to say that the development time is split evenly, but it's probably more weighted towards the new project, if we're honest with ourselves.

I can't wait to see what the next Big Thing™ is, you know.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 pm 

Galactron was a great upgrade. Perhaps the best possible they had chances to make (since making the game have real servers was not an option). In the engine it probably also was a huge operation for Joosts coding. Galactron also works pretty well for what I have seen -except when the players run low and matches get unfair due that... But even then, if you make a smurf account and look at the cute little low leagues, you can see that their games seem rather fair down there. Too bad hardly any of them spend the time to grow to the high leagues though...

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 pm 
Adminaut

You really have to keep in mind that Galactron was probably the single most challenging thing Ronimo has ever undertaken. Expecting it to fix all the problems the game had is rather unfair. I think Ronimo deserves a lot of credit for the good it did.