Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: NOW LIVE: Update 4.6
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 pm 

IsoKoala wrote:
I love the 50% speed upgrade for Max Focus. :redcheer: It gives a nice small tactical moves to Max. Catching an enemy with it, or escaping death with is fun. Now it doesnt feel OP, but a welcome addition. It also has a great synergy with duration upgrade, as now youll chase/escape a 1sec longer. Allows a new build for Max. But, I might change my opinion when some L1 Max murders me with it, lol.

Btw, I think it only affects X movement and not Y, if I am right? The movement feels different while in it, and its more of a boost to left or right rather than free +50% speed change. Anyway, better this way I suppose, intentional or not. :yoolip:

Oh, while using this upgrade, if you're holding down lmb you actually have your movement slowed if you don't have flying camera. Pressing that killed me once.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:29 am 

After using the new max item I can't get to grips with it because it completely throws off the precision I had hitting scene without it lol. I don't think it's a bad item but when you've been playing max for so long it really throws everything off.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:47 pm 

I think new traps are in a pretty good spot, it'll take time for people to get used to them tho, but once they do I think Derpl will start feeling a lot stronger again. I think the snare and silence trap upgrades need looking at tho, both are a bit weak imo. Snare desperately needs a price reduction to 120-130 solar per stage, and silence could really use that last 0.4sec back. Lifetime traps are actually kinda good now due to the base lifetime decrease, I'm normally going nuke dmg + nuke speed + trap lifetime or nuke size on the trap/nuke row. I feel nuke speed has gone up massively in value due to slowing traps and the nuke size upgrade it competed with being nerfed.

I am slightly concerned with some cases which seem slightly like snarebumping, but having spent a few games running around with boots I can safely say old style snarebumping is not possible. So much has changed, even if you could time the cast time with the positioning, old school overlapping by just running into somebody is impossible due to the change in collision mechanics that happened in some ancient patch. However, there are a few edge cases in laggy games where if your falling down fast enough you can overlap your sprite as the trap spawns and get the instant snare. I don't think this will be a balance problem as in those cases you would normally be better off nuke dropping, but it does look a little off, however everything looks off in lag. I think it's something to just monitor for now, and see how prevailant it is once people have learned the new mechanic. Worse case you could add a tiny 0.1sec arming time, but I really, really want to avoid this if at all possible.

Also, I'm gonna have to eat my words, IMO the best cat row is fatcat + attackspeed + X. Split's gimmicky DPS is only 16% higher than the attackspeed and 20% higher than dmg, both of which are far more consistent, and have a less sizable price gap. However the real reason this swap has happened is bat catsuit, you no longer get the huge 1 auto burst you used to with fat+split+bat. Another big reason is the fatcat cooldown, theorycrafted DPS is only so useful, what attackspeed does in practice is get you off an extra 175 dmg fatcat in a fight, regardless of whether you use siege or not, leading to solid dmg increases even if you only use catshot twice. Also since fatcat is AoE, it gives you a solid waveclear boost. Bat catsuit is kinda in a wierd spot, it's ok when paired with a naut with a slowing AA and you buy boots OR if you buy trap lifetime and play defensive. I need to test it more, it feels really bad on it's own now tho, it needs help from something else to make it worthwile. I'm still a bit undecided on what's the 3rd best cat upgrade, I feel like range & dmg are still overpriced, split isn't as reliable without the 2.4sec snare and bat catsuit is in an awkward spot. The other thing that could happen is the range+split+fatcat row gaining popularity, but with the 5sec fatcat CD I don't think it will see more play than the attackspeed varients.

Sam! wrote:
After using the new max item I can't get to grips with it because it completely throws off the precision I had hitting scene without it lol. I don't think it's a bad item but when you've been playing max for so long it really throws everything off.

This is a big thing with traps atm, I think me and a lot of other Derpl mains are soo used to the old traps that it's taking time to adjust. I feel like both the new traps mechanics and the scene illumination speedup are massive buffs that I'm yet to see properly used & abused.

In the case of traps, I'm pretty certain that if I had never played Derpl before I would prefer the new traps by a mile. People walking through traps that are clearly placed is counter intuitive, and I'm glad that no longer happens. I think we were so used to that gameplay too the point it felt natural, when I distictly remember that when the old 0.6sec arming time was added, anybody who played Derpl for a handful of games, was screaming about how awful it felt.

Last edited by Tom on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:51 pm 

Sam! wrote:

I've been really trying to use it, and I haven't found much use outside of chasing nauts like frog. It does pretty much replace boots for me so I can go health/regen/overdrive gear.

I also found it makes cheesing turrets a bit safer.
I wanna try it against a good skol, and see if I can speedboost to safety reliably.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:47 pm 

I'd like to make a small suggestion about Bat Catsuit.
Make it so the damage increase depends on the amount of slow applied.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:30 pm 

I love feeling all clunk-like while playing Derpl in his current state. Takes careful planning to time .4s to place a snare that I can literally barrel stuff into people if they engage. Falling through platforms feels like gracefully letting gravity take a hot air balloon down. You want me to play a cat build derpl? No problem, forget every single other upgrade cause drop nuking required some speed and with this hot air balloon drop, I can kiss that good bye. Snares? Loved em, one of his only suits that drew me to his design. Can't hit a nuke on someone who walked out of said snare with only a slow, and not getting punished. Really just not sure why or what you guys are doing to Derpl. Oh, I can sit in a raes rift without getting my ass handed to me now though, so that's a nice silver lining.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:50 am 
Ronimo Team Member

The Lord Protector wrote:
Can you just clarify something:

Jasper wrote:
Sentry
-Black Hole Sun, projectile speed reduced by 10%.

This means reduced from its "new" value to its original one, right? It's not literally a 10% reduction?

Yup, the projectile speed is now back at it's 4.5 value.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 pm 

Sentry has become extremely over powered. He shouldn't be able to get a triple kill while being able to somehow have so much health.

In general, there seem to be games where damage just isn't applied correctly and I think it skews things a lot. I've been playing for years and I am highly confident in this. I don't know if it's the changes to Sentry that made him be able to get a triple kill without a sweat or if it's this damage bug. I mostly play Lonestar, and sometimes I play games where the dynomite\bullets will do a lot of damage and I carry the game like crazy. Then there are games like I just played where I think only 1 stick is applied rather than all 3, despite a solid land\hit. Sometimes, I throw dynomite and it doesn't even throw ... it just resets the cool off. Or I've seen the dynomite fly right through enemies before. I have a nice machine and 1000up\down fios. When this happens I just stop playing for a few days and come back to it later.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:41 am 

Unless I'm doing something horrifically wrong- Head in a jar doesn't work. At all. I wanted to do a funny dps build, but now my dream has been ruined.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:55 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Uiomancant wrote:
Unless I'm doing something horrifically wrong- Head in a jar doesn't work. At all. I wanted to do a funny dps build, but now my dream has been ruined.

Under which circumstances? I've just gave him a quick go in try mode, and it all seemed to work.

I did spot a bug with the tooltip displaying the increased single-rocket damage as if every salvo will be multiplying used that value. But other than that the damage numbers ingame seemed correct.