Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts



Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author Message
 Post subject: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:29 am
Posts: 369
Location: Here in these forums (Diz Forced me!)
It's been said many times, but if we're getting longstanding issues out of the way can we get the elephant in the room out of the way?

The tutorial is long, and provides basic information to players, however many returning players find themselves unable to jump back in for upwards of 10-20 mins thanks to the tutorial FORCING you to go through all of it.

Skipping the tutorial was an option in the past that Ronimo removed to test how that would effect player retention it didn't seem to matter so they kept it as is. The tutorial not being skippable only makes the game harder to get attention as it can't be picked up and played. This is a serious issue that has been ignored that HAS BITTEN BACK IN THE PAST. (Yogscast disastrous showing of Awesomenauts)

_________________
Deeznauts wrote:
Have you lost your mom?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Posts: 5858
Location: Barrier Magazine Marketing Department
Morrowsaw wrote:
It's been said many times,

On topic: It's not that long. Just suck it up and do it. It gives AP. :shrug:
I do however agree that forced tutorials do suck in general and I'd much rather have it not be forced.

_________________
I was Chogi.
Emo Chapington wrote:
[Post brought to you by GuyBrush]
Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: :think: #BuffBoiCow Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 2425
Location: Tomorrowland
Friend invite overrides tutorial plz

_________________
My concise guide to balancing
Cynderp wrote:
The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:04 pm
Posts: 62
I see claims its unskippable because veterans were upset that they got new players who had no idea how to play which makes no sense. Its extremely rare for a complete newcomer to get into such a match so i vote for it being skippable. Also its practically a sin forcing such an innocent first timer to have to listen to that voice.

GuyBrush wrote:
Morrowsaw wrote:
It's been said many times,

On topic: It's not that long. Just suck it up and do it. It gives AP. :shrug:
I do however agree that forced tutorials do suck in general and I'd much rather have it not be forced.

how could you say that especially after yogcast lol.


Last edited by Alpha Z on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged double-post.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:41 pm
Posts: 924
It really needs to be skippable somehow. Add some special keyboard code that i can tell friends to press to skip the tutorial


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Posts: 5858
Location: Barrier Magazine Marketing Department
LfGirlfriend wrote:
GuyBrush wrote:
Morrowsaw wrote:
It's been said many times,

On topic: It's not that long. Just suck it up and do it. It gives AP. :shrug:
I do however agree that forced tutorials do suck in general and I'd much rather have it not be forced.

how could you say that especially after yogcast lol.

I haven't watched the Yogscast suck at the tutorial. That, and they're even worse than Game Grumps for being bad at games while making Let's Plays of them.

_________________
I was Chogi.
Emo Chapington wrote:
[Post brought to you by GuyBrush]
Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: :think: #BuffBoiCow Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 2228
Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
The Yogscast being generally bad at everything outside of not being funny doesn't change the fact that the still-unskippable tutorial reflected very poorly on Awesomenauts when they played it.

Especially considering how large their fanbase is.

_________________
Say no to SAM wrote:
Give this guy a duck for making such a good job with this thread

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Posts: 5858
Location: Barrier Magazine Marketing Department
I won't deny that the tutorial not being skippable is bad (just from a pure time and player friendliness standpoint) but a bunch of incompetent gamers showing their fanbase how bad they are at video games doesn't change that.
Dean Takahashi also harmed Cuphead's reputation. Slightly.

_________________
I was Chogi.
Emo Chapington wrote:
[Post brought to you by GuyBrush]
Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: :think: #BuffBoiCow Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 2228
Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I'd argue that, by being so utterly incompetent, Takahashi actually made people more interested in picking up Cuphead—just to see if it really was as difficult as he was making out. No one looked at his "gameplay" (to use that about as loosely as physically possible) and took it seriously. No one.

As it turns out, Takahashi's just incabable of cohesive motor function. Cuphead's popularity wasn't touched by that in any way, shape, nor form. The Yogscast's... experience, however, most likely did affect Awesomenauts, especially given that it's already struggling for any sort of publicity beyond being on Steam, which isn't in and of itself much to shout about.

Daikatana's on Steam, after all.

_________________
Say no to SAM wrote:
Give this guy a duck for making such a good job with this thread

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm
Posts: 9194
Location: Washington, USA
GuyBrush wrote:
I won't deny that the tutorial not being skippable is bad (just from a pure time and player friendliness standpoint) but a bunch of incompetent gamers showing their fanbase how bad they are at video games doesn't change that.
Dean Takahashi also harmed Cuphead's reputation. Slightly.

Protector's 100% right, GuyBrush.

If one of your favorite video makers does a video of a game you've never heard of, you're going in to see him or her play the game--the actual game, so that you can gauge their reaction to it and get a feel for what it's like yourself, as well. The video maker knows this, as well--he knows you're watching because you want to see him play the game, not the tutorial, and a good creator will accommodate for this demand. Most videomakers I know chop off the tutorial completely. I'm guessing Yogs did the game live and that wasn't an option.

Game skill isn't even a part of the equation, especially for an entertainment channel. It's a Let's Play, not an esports no-death sub-20-jumps 420-no-scope speedrun.



Related note, Achievement Hunter (a channel I watch a lot of) did a video on Awesomenauts back on the console release, which they regard as one of their worst LP's. Sounds to me like the game blew its chance on YouTube in more than one way.

_________________
Burningdillo wrote:


On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next