Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts



Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 2507
Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
If you went back to the original post, you'd realise that the "tutorial being skippable" is not the sole point of this thread, my sweet little bristle-person.

_________________
Say no to SAM wrote:
Give this guy a duck for making such a good job with this thread

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm
Posts: 9407
Location: Washington, USA
GuyBrush wrote:
Original topic of thread: "Tutorial isn't skippable."
Content of thread: "Why YouTubers being * at the game is bad for the game." :|

The skill of YouTubers was never a part of the discussion, but you really seem to want it to be for some reason.

YouTube impressions is by far the best reason for Ronimo to make the tutorial skippable. Or at least, it would have been, had this game's YT run not happened years ago. You only get one shot. Outside of that, it's an extremely trivial issue that will make some players stop barking but won't meaningfully impact the company's bottom line. It will be a good thing to keep in mind for any future games they develop, though, and in a world where this game left a better impression on video makers, it might there be as popular as LoL or Heroes.

As a school bus driver, someone who works with kids of all ages and hears all their uncensored schoolyard discussion on a daily basis, I cannot possibly overstate how generation-defining YouTube has been and continues to be. It's literally raising today's kids, tomorrow's consumers. It is today what radio was in the 1940's, except even more globalized.

_________________
Burningdillo wrote:


On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:51 pm
Posts: 353
Xelrog wrote:
As a school bus driver, someone who works with kids of all ages and hears all their uncensored schoolyard discussion on a daily basis, I cannot possibly overstate how generation-defining YouTube has been and continues to be. It's literally raising today's kids, tomorrow's consumers. It is today what radio was in the 1940's, except even more globalized.

Well, if YouTube is what raises kids these days, that's just horrifying and I don't want to live in this world anymore.

Woah, if true.

_________________
Please vote in the Individual Levels vs. Team Levels poll. Thank you


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 2507
Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
As a teacher, it's basically true.

Youtube is effectively an open field of people that produce literally everything imaginable under the sun, all for free and available on demand. So much of the content is now so heavily produced and edited (no more 009 Sound System Dreamscape and Unregistered Hypercam 2), it's not surprising why it's so popular.

It's the power to watch a video, whenever and wherever you want, about pretty much anything in the world. That's television but on steroids, and we all know how popular television was, before YouTube and streaming services came along and murdered it in its sleep like they did with cinema, who's trying desperately to stay relevant.

_________________
Say no to SAM wrote:
Give this guy a duck for making such a good job with this thread

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:51 pm
Posts: 353
The Lord Protector wrote:
As a teacher, it's basically true.

Youtube is effectively an open field of people that produce literally everything imaginable under the sun, all for free and available on demand. So much of the content is now so heavily produced and edited (no more 009 Sound System Dreamscape and Unregistered Hypercam 2), it's not surprising why it's so popular.

It's the power to watch a video, whenever and wherever you want, about pretty much anything in the world. That's television but on steroids, and we all know how popular television was, before YouTube and streaming services came along and murdered it in its sleep like they did with cinema, who's trying desperately to stay relevant.

lol, it's not that I don't understand YouTube. I just think it would be a Nightmare, if kids were actually raised by it. TV wasn't perfect in my time, but at least it wasn't just a pile of garbage you had to sieve through to find something good. At least it offered a framework of already selected and vetted content for kids. But leave kids by themselves on YouTube and they will just pick the worst possible things for them to watch, you just know it. And they probably don't even realize that 99% of YouTube is total garbage for them and extremely poorly produced. This will only lead to the decline of mental development for these kids.

But yea, tutorial not skippable... :shady:

_________________
Please vote in the Individual Levels vs. Team Levels poll. Thank you


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm
Posts: 9407
Location: Washington, USA
DeezNauts wrote:
total garbage for them and extremely poorly produced. This will only lead to the decline of mental development for these kids.

See? We HAVE been talking about the tutorial!

Actually I don't think the tutorial's that bad, it was just too easy. Should be skippable though.

_________________
Burningdillo wrote:


On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 2507
Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
That quote could apply equally as well to the tutorial as it does to GuyBrush or his twin brothers ManBroom and PersonSweep, though.

On-topic: make the tutorial skippable already. I challenge anyone from Ronimo to provide evidence that it's helping retain players to a meaningful degree, because it's not and you all know it's not.

_________________
Say no to SAM wrote:
Give this guy a duck for making such a good job with this thread

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:15 am
Posts: 185
Location: Sun
non-skippable 3-part tutorial that takes 30-60 min is a great game design decision

warning: this post contains heavy sarcasm

_________________
http://steamcommunity.com/id/donroxon


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 am
Posts: 1335
has ronimo made an official statement about the tutorial yet?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Posts: 5933
Location: Barrier Magazine Marketing Department
The Lord Protector wrote:
That quote could apply equally as well to the tutorial as it does to GuyBrush or his twin brothers ManBroom and PersonSweep, though.

:grey_question:

On topic: I did say that there's no reason for the tutorial not to be skippable. I just also said that it isn't nearly as long as people are making it out to be, and that the Yogscast being zork at games doesn't connect to the tutorial being too long.
If it were my choice I'd make it skippable. Like, immediately.

_________________
I was Chogi.
Emo Chapington wrote:
[Post brought to you by GuyBrush]
Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next