Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: What's the best-looking map and why?
 Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:09 pm 

I'm interested in gathering some intel on what makes good map art. Since the summer is upon us I want to get back to developing map art; with a new approach. This time, I want to hear from the community on what yall think makes for the most attractive-looking map. Also, how much does functionality matter to you? I'd LOVE to hear from an art buff at Ronimo, if you're reading this.

If you're too lazy to detail your opinion below, you can fill out this straw poll instead:

Here are the maps Ronimo created:

Ribbit IV was the first map made for Awesomenauts, and it's got a lot going on relative to the others. It feels like they couldn't decide on a single theme so it ended up having 4 different types of floor, whereas the other maps only have 1-2 types of floor.

Sorona has lots of art that goes in front of the characters, what's your opinion on this? Is it good or bad? There are a LOT of reused textures here, but it maintains its theme without getting boring.

Aiguillon is my personal favorite of the bunch, it's just varied enough without being distracting, and the color scheme is really nice. The statue theme makes it feel like an actual place.

Ai Station 205 is pretty bland imo, but I think it was supposed to be that way, considering it's basically a factory. Very little objects in the play area.

Starstorm is the latest map Ronimo created, and the most detailed. It is the least symmetrical of the bunch.

Last edited by Luckytime on Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: What's the best-looking map and why?
 Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:31 pm 

They are all good, but Starstorm really shines, when it comes to the background details, animations, and lore. Love the animations happening at the map.
Also like Sorona for the background worms giving scale of a large place, and Ribbit for the Studio Ghiblis-like giant robot.

Aguillon probably is the most "boring" one, but as a map I like it the most. The Indiana Jones theme is still fun though. Ah no, Ai station is more bland, Aguillon has nice foreground water and colours and lotuses.

But yeah. Starstorm gets my vote.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:32 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I'm glad you linked the largest images ever known to mankind; it only took me thirty-seven years to load this page and that in itself only melted half of my CPU.

On-topic: I think few sane people are going to answer with anything other than Starstorm. Being pretty is the really the only thing it has going for it.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 pm 

Starstorm gets the vote, no doubt.
BTW if you're thinking making a SS-level map think about Zork Industries theme. It fits the game lore, there is a lot of Zork related arts to start from.
I have vague thoughts on trying to make a concept of that but I got a job, so... most likely - not going to happen.

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 pm 

Yeah, lol@ 7000x1500 unpacked PNGs. :lolstar: Those are like 50 bigger filesizes than avarage fullHD jpg is.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:25 pm 

whoops, sorry! Fixed the image sizes. :jimmy:
(Side note: If your pc can't even load a few large images, I can't even imagine how it must be like to run a game)

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:44 pm 

regarding ribbit, to quote joost's blog:

Quote:
Initially we were going to make only one level, so to keep screenshots varied, we added a lot of variety to this single level: jungle, purple caves, space station elements. In the end we decided to make two more levels, allowing those two levels to be more focussed on a single unique type of environment. Since the Ribbit IV map was originally meant to be the only level, you can still see in the final game that it has more variety than the other two maps.

i think the bottom part was initially supposed to be the inside of a cave, as well.

i liked a lot of the purple concepts they had; example.
(link to blog post)

there's a number of other art/level design posts there as well

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:07 am 

I don't pay attention at all to the graphics. I didn't even notice until now (that I look at it without playing) that Starstorm is actually a spaceship, or that Aiguillon is a kind of temple, and i've played these maps hundreds of time.

Clearly gameplay is what matters most to me. Textures should be sufficiently detailed so that I know what is what but that's it.

But Awesomenauts art is top notch for sure. If there is one thing people actually agree on, it's that Awesomenauts has an amazing lore and art in general.

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:27 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Luckytime wrote:
(Side note: If your pc can't even load a few large images, I can't even imagine how it must be like to run a game)

It was an uncompressed equivalent of the entire Bayeux Tapestry.

You tried to murder my CPU.

You did murder my CPU.

potterman28wxcv wrote:
...Awesomenauts has an amazing lore...

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:41 am 

The lore is ok. I think it's slightly under explored, but I'm happy that it's a thing regardless. At least it doesn't come off like some kind of bad fanfiction like a certain other MOBA LoL :shady:

Fave map design wise is Starstorm for sure, but I liked some of the details in 404 if you ever bother looking at the background in that one. Mostly thanks to events like Scoops sword being in one of the vats being the first teaser we got of him.

Also I liked actually seeing things and not pixels when I zoomed in on the maps at least put the links here so I can look at the nice pictures while Lord Protector's Potato survives.