Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Uni survey about player-retention focused on Nauts
 Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Robin wrote:
...I can't just conjure up dedicated servers...

It would have been better if that character was named Robin as well.

also if the game went 3-D my potato pc would be incapable of runing it. Doesn't mean much other than I would be kinda sad...but that's not actually important. besides that, the graphics would need to be reaaaaally good in order to still be charming, like high polly count and cell shading as a generic idea for appealing 3-D visuals, Wouldn't want it to be in the same vain as the time the king of fighters made the transition to 3-D and everyone looked like tanned barbie dolls

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

Jas123c wrote:
kathy wrote:
muncher.gif

this is a very serious question, please help :(

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:37 pm 

Who ever said a word about 3D? :huh:

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 pm 

ScR wrote:
Who ever said a word about 3D? :huh:

I did. In this discussion about visual styles.

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

Jas123c wrote:
kathy wrote:
muncher.gif

this is a very serious question, please help :(

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 pm 

Back on the poll, wow it already has 250 answers in it :O Great job promoting it seriously!

I'm surprised at the amount of people who only play 1-10 hours of Awesomenauts per week. I would have thought there would be more playing more. But I guess it's the "let's do one or two matches here and there" kind of gameplay ; don't leave the game entirely, but not abandonning it neither. It goes actually well with the high proportion of "when a friend asks me" ; but since it was a multiple choice question it might be biased

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
A (probably slightly inaccurate) tally of the wanted changes and key frustrations:

Wanted Changes

Matchmaking changes: 19
    Better PR and/or advertising: 14
    Better balance: 10

More content ('Nauts, Maps): 9
    Cosmetics, skins, and hats: 7
    Leaderboard changes: 7
    Better chat and communication: 6
    Servers (not "matchmaking"): 6
    Larger playerbase: 6
    Removing the XP System: 5
    Bug fixes: 4
    Modding: 4
    More tournaments/scrims: 3
    Draft system: 2
    Changes to droids and creeps: 2
    Tutorial changes: 2
    Hitboxes: 2
    Hide enemies before match
    Reverting F2P
    Engine cleanup
    Expansion of 'Naut abilities
    UI changes
    Better Awesomepoints value
    Better Brawls

Ignored:

"New levels" (please, be less precise)
    "Vinnie buff" (be more specific)
    "I want to do make the game" (you do you, random stranger)
    "Deadlift early game buffs" (that's rude)
    "Delete stunpunch from skolldir" (I agree, though)
    "i want a duck badge" (I want another solid platinum statue of myself)
    "Lower Yuris skill ceiling" (I know exactly who this is)
    "remove derpl" (remove you)
    "Новая карта..." (Я не говорю по-русски)
    "Ayla buffs :p" (the wrong oak is being barked up)
    "Less Furrys and weeabos" (your obsession with them is suspicious)
    "the playerbase to be not so trash at this ez game" (I am gagging)

Key Frustrations

Uneven/poor matchmaking: 25
    Match problems (stalling, stomping, etc.): 16
    General imbalance/'Naut matchups: 15

Lag (not "P2P"): 14
    Dwindling playerbase: 11
    Lack of communication from Ronimo: 7
    Salty community/toxic players: 7
    Peer-to-peer: 6
    Hacking/cheating/griefing: 4
    Leaderboards: 3
    Lack of progression/sense of progression: 3
    Slow bugfixing: 2
    Hitboxes: 2
    Lack of advertising: 2
    The XP System: 2
    Lack of UI customisation
    Growing PC hardware requirements
    Too competitive
    The unlock system

Ignored:

"...NERF POISON PLZZZZ" (lowercase characters are beauty)
    "Dumb changes" (god, you're useful)
    "The derpl changes :c" (why can't I ALT + F4 your existence)
    "sucky teammates makin me lose" (of course)
    "Anything above 300 ping" (live somewhere other than Rapture, then)
    "Some balance choices" (could you be any more useless)
    "...Also the game start beep sounds like my microwave..." (get better roommates)
    "Being matched with mega tryhards" (Tales from the L4 Crypt)
    "Same as every other pvp game..." (a long paragraph on the industry isn't helpful, you know)
    "Read the anger management thread on the forums" (I'd rather not)
    "d e r p l" (c e a s e y o u r e x i s t e n c e)
    "Emphasis on key..." (I'll take "cryptic clues" for 500, Alex)
    "None, the game was awesome when I played it, this is a unique MOBA" (define "frustration", my little guttersnipe)
    "Community doesn't understand MOBAs" (shade by the spoonful)
    "it is unpopular despite being obviously superior to every alternative" (laughs in Dota)

Unsurprisingly, matchmaking is both the thing people hate the most and the thing they'd most readily change. Ronimo's inability to communicate in a timely manner also featured heavily, as did poor balance across the board, both for 'Nauts and maps. Some of your feedback (!) was the transcribed equivalent of rubbing vomit into my eyes.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Last edited by The Lord Protector on Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:51 am 

what are some of the most wanted matchmaking changes?

There's things that could be done to lessen the effect of a bad matchup that aren't exactly "change galactron". individual xp, late joins, drafts, etc. I'm curious what are some of the more popular suggestions

thanks for taking the time to tally this up :)

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:26 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Unfortunately, a lot of the responses are literally "better matchmaking", and as I've not (yet) enslaved all of human consciousness, I can't pry into people's thoughts for a more detailed answer.

That said, there are a few people that detail the long queue times as being a negative symptom of the matchmaking process (especially the colony of Tusken Raiders in Australia). Others specify that the skill disparity produced by the matchmaking is reflecting poorly on the game—although could be more because of the low playercount, so tallying those was hard. There's also mention of high ping, but that is again also potentially a result of the peer-to-peer connection system, so I won't draw too many conclusions therefrom, nor attribute it solely to the matchmaking.

People want "better matchmaking" without having any real idea of what that is. I would assume, reasonably, that they want shorter queue times, to be matched with enemies and allies closer to their own skill level, and to have more stable connections to said players. The issue is that none of that can be resolved without increasing the number of players available to Awesomenauts' matchmaker, which in and of itself will be borderline impossible with the poor matchmaking we have now.

It's a vicious circle. Awesomenauts 2, however.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 am 

It's my understanding that most skilled players (or more than usual, anyway) think the game is in a more balanced state than it's been in a long while, as far as characters go. Is this inaccurate?

Character balance is a tricky thing to adjust because of... pubstompers. Characters with a low skill floor that annihilate newbies. The problem with balancing for both newbies and competitive is to find ways to move the skill floor without also moving the ceiling.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:37 am 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Unfortunately, a lot of the responses are literally "better matchmaking", and as I've not (yet) enslaved all of human consciousness, I can't pry into people's thoughts for a more detailed answer.

That said, there are a few people that detail the long queue times as being a negative symptom of the matchmaking process (especially the colony of Tusken Raiders in Australia). Others specify that the skill disparity produced by the matchmaking is reflecting poorly on the game—although could be more because of the low playercount, so tallying those was hard. There's also mention of high ping, but that is again also potentially a result of the peer-to-peer connection system, so I won't draw too many conclusions therefrom, nor attribute it solely to the matchmaking.

People want "better matchmaking" without having any real idea of what that is. I would assume, reasonably, that they want shorter queue times, to be matched with enemies and allies closer to their own skill level, and to have more stable connections to said players. The issue is that none of that can be resolved without increasing the number of players available to Awesomenauts' matchmaker, which in and of itself will be borderline impossible with the poor matchmaking we have now.

It's a vicious circle. Awesomenauts 2, however.

Xelrog wrote:
Character balance is a tricky thing to adjust because of... pubstompers. Characters with a low skill floor that annihilate newbies. The problem with balancing for both newbies and competitive is to find ways to move the skill floor without also moving the ceiling.

I'm still processing all the of the responses and working on compiling the communities concerns and complaints along with coming up with some possible solutions that I hope will be useful. My main priority for the next week is uni though. Once I'm on break (a little over a week from now) I'm going to do a couple of write-ups and send them to ronimo + publish on the forums & reddit.

ps: Im one of those Tuskan Raiders.

Xelrog wrote:
It's my understanding that most skilled players (or more than usual, anyway) think the game is in a more balanced state than it's been in a long while, as far as characters go. Is this inaccurate?

I dont really know if I constitute as skilled, but I have 1700 hrs (L2 last season) & have been playing pretty consistently since 2014. At the moment I would say the game is generally pretty well balanced (This patch), except for maybe a few exceptions (sentry & maybe smiles, havent looked at smiles in a while though) honestly I dont think sentry is THAT bad atm (some tweaking could be done for sure), balance isnt really my forte though. I would say most of the naut releases recently have been pretty unbalanced upon their launch: Rocket, Smiles, Dizzy. Qi'tara is a tricky one from what ive seen shes either really good in/vs certain team comps and REALLY bad in/vs others.
But as I said before, balance isnt my forte and all that ^ is my personal opinion I havent based that off of any of the data ive been collecting (Interviews, survey etc.).

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:14 pm 

Good luck can't wait to see the results.

Steam: Cpudude30k

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/cpudude30k