Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Limiting taunts
 Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 pm 

IsoKoala wrote:
Another option, even more preferred one, would be that muted players would be permanently muted for you, unless you put them back. If that happened, I could do unthinkable, and perhaps even put the chat back visible one day...

I think that goes without saying. Muting should definitely be permanent, be called "mute", and made more easily accessible again.

A global disable would be a nice addition (and end these threads) on top of that.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:06 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Xelrog wrote:
You're acknowledging, then, that this is being brought up consistently as a complaint. It's not one person making the same thread, it's several. New posters, too.

It has been the same person making them in the past, although some of them are unique.

Even then, the answer from the vast majority of the rest of us (which would be more people than are bringing the threads up in the first place) always includes the words "use the" and "mute function".

Xelrog wrote:
Protector, I get that you're not bothered by taunts. You've made that abundantly clear. You are not a part of the group of people who are bothered by taunts, and so you cannot understand their feelings on the matter.

What sort of janky-arse reasoning is that?

"You're not part of a particular group, ergo you cannot understand their point of view?"

In other words...

"Empathy doesn't exist."

Hoffman on suicide watch. I'm not part of that particular group specifically because I understand their point of view, but don't agree with it at any rate. You can't realistically disagree with someone without understanding what they mean and where they're coming from—otherwise that's just lunacy. I understand why taunts could irritate people (despite not being irritated by them myself) and I can understand why that would lead them to want to remove or otherwise mitigate them, especially when spammed.

That has absolutely no bearing on the fact that I very much cannot understand why people don't just use the already extant mute feature to solve the very problem they're facing. Now, I can understand why that feature's not as easy to use as it once was, and I would support making it easier—I would not, however, support implementing a whole new system (and obviously a contentious one at that) to achieve the already achievable.

Xelrog wrote:
That said, you're also not trying to understand them. :shrug: Obviously this group exists and isn't going anywhere, and you repeating that you don't understand them isn't changing that.

Until you occupy the inside of my skull, don't tell me what I am and am not trying to do. That's reserved for my cabal of voices, of which you're not a member.

Xelrog wrote:
This second concept is unacceptable and should not be encouraged in any video game. It is as acceptable a gameplay tactic as reaching over and interfering with your opponent's controls. "It's strategic" is not an excuse for behavior being acceptable; if it was, then hate speech and personal attacks would be just as acceptable. They upset your opponent, thus helping you win the game, therefore it's strategic, right? Of course not.

I agree with this bit, although the comparison to hate speech is irrelevant. A button programmed to quip at your enemies is far removed from literal hate speech, and that should be obvious.

I also don't think it's within the remit of the game developers to decide which features of their game their users can and cannot disable, so long as everyone can (fair counterplay and all that). If people want to disable taunts, more for them. It's not Ronimo's decision to make.

Just move the mute back to the scoreboard already and be done with it. You can even make it persist between games and have a separate chat mute as well.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:28 pm 

Taunting is not a strategy for some people, it's a reflection of the hate they have inside them. You can identify these people because after the game ends... meaning after taunting ceases to give them an advantage... they continue to harass the other team in chat.

The other day I had someone say "ez" unprovoked shortly before the game ended, and then "e" "z" right after it ended. Nobody said a single thing to them. There are just people with hate in their heart that use taunts as an expression of that hate. These are the people nobody wants to talk about because it's controversial.

Overwatch does a great job with in-game communication, Ronimo should just copy Blizzard because they obviously can't come up with anything better on their own.

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:08 am 

I just want to take this opportunity and point out that a vote for limiting taunts is a vote against Xelrogs argument and everyone who wants to take taunts away. I want to bring legitimacy to tauntplay by curbing spam and removing the mute function. Competitive taunts make the game more skillful, bring back the old days of emotional victories! Remove limits on taunts per second to tauntblast opponents. SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Speak up for tauntlimits, speak up for FREEDOM!

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:38 am 

Arti wrote:
Competitive taunts make the game more skillful...

How is pressing "1" more skillful than integrating teleporting into your movements as you fight your opponent... or even just moving your mouse all over the screen to make your character spaz? Every time someone says taunting takes skill, I consider impaling my head on a doorknob.

The latter examples I gave are just as effective at getting into your opponent's head, but more legitimate because they have consequences on your options in-game. Making taunts skillful would require you to re-work them from their current state.