Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Why does the Brawl take so long to reset?
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 pm 

What is it, like, a full day? Has Ronimo ever mentioned a reason for this? Is it a necessary thing programming-wise, or is it just "we're going to turn one queue off for 1/7 of the week"?

I actually felt like playing one today, opened the game up, saw it was locked, and closed again.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post subject: Re: Why does the Brawl take so long to reset?
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:20 pm 

metrics gathering, probably. id imagine its something like if theres typically less concurrent players on days without brawl, it indicates more playlists helps player retention. if theres not much change but metrics show matchmaking is better, indicates it just splits community.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:27 pm 

I think it’s to prevent too much splitting of the playerbase. Days on which Brawl is not available should mean faster queue times for standard matchmaking.

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:21 pm 

conorbebe wrote:
I think it’s to prevent too much splitting of the playerbase. Days on which Brawl is not available should mean faster queue times for standard matchmaking.

Considering the population playing Brawl is close to 0 right now, I don't think it really has an impact in splitting the playerbase.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:21 pm 

potterman28wxcv wrote:
conorbebe wrote:

Considering the population playing Brawl is close to 0 right now, I don't think it really has an impact in splitting the playerbase.

I don't know where or when you play, but I usually find a match first try. Second at worst.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:20 am 

Xelrog wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:
conorbebe wrote:

I don't know where or when you play, but I usually find a match first try. Second at worst.

Last time I tried it i had a 3 minutes timer, then in the end of the 3 minutes i got the "we detected you had a bad connection to most other folks" message which got the timer back to 6-7 minutes. That's 10 total minutes of waiting versus 2-3 minutes in the normal queue.

And the skill difference is way off usually, same for ping. I don't have any stats to back me off, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that only 5-10% of the playerbase is currently playing at a given moment is playing brawls.

This is not a complaint though - matchmaking does the best with what it has. But I really doubt splitting the playerbase is the issue here.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:30 am 

potterman28wxcv wrote:
That's 10 total minutes of waiting versus 2-3 minutes in the normal queue.

The normal queue for me is 6-7 minutes, same as brawl. It just comes down to whether you get in first try or not, which I usually do.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:33 pm 

There are a lot of people playing botmatches too. Unranked or someone with bad wr% up to l5 players. That's your playerbase splitting. Inexperienced players simply can't dive into pvp or brawls because of the todays skill gap. I myself play mostly bots lately due to the fact I cannot outplay my opponents at all and the game becomes really boring and one-sided.
Botgames are one-sided too but hey, they are just dummies for beating right?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:26 am 

I played today and it said it would be over two days until the next brawl was up. So now it's down for three out of seven days a week?

Is it really an experiment to see how the playerbase gets divided, and does this mean it's splitting it too much?

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 am 

Xelrog wrote:
I played today and it said it would be over two days until the next brawl was up. So now it's down for three out of seven days a week?

Is it really an experiment to see how the playerbase gets divided, and does this mean it's splitting it too much?

Were you not aware that the brawl opens on thursdays and closes on sundays, and that it has been this way for as long as brawls have existed?

There is a good reason too imo, you need days when the playerbase plays the same thing. Otherwise you get lukewarm matches as people are split between to gamemmodes.

If you want a short name for me, just use Sten.