Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post subject: Re: ronimo's sketchy decisions - what do you think?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:40 am 

I have no interest in the S&S series and will only buy the game for the Awesomenauts skin. :shrug:

On one hand I do feel bad for Ronimo as creators because they want to move on to other projects, creatively... there's that situation where something takes off to the point that it absorbs your entire identity as a creator, like typecasting goes with actors. On the other hand... it's what the people want, y'know?

I always thought/hoped more people would be interested in our Abridged stuff than some silly hentai game let's plays, especially considering how much more work goes into the former than the latter, but that's not the way things played out.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
On one hand I do feel bad for Ronimo as creators because they want to move on to other projects, creatively... there's that situation where something takes off to the point that it absorbs your entire identity as a creator, like typecasting goes with actors. On the other hand... it's what the people want, y'know?

People only expect a developer to continue working on a game (or any media) if they show a willingness to continue producing it... but it's actually a trap.

Example:
> People wanted Super Meat Boy 2
> Edmund McMillen said "nah" (good :thumb:)
> He then developed The Binding of Isaac which became even more popular than SMB
> People asked for more of TBOI
> He milks the hell out of TBOI by continuing to work on it (bad :facepalm:)
> People now hate TBOI

Same thing happened with Overwatch & Minecraft which introduced changes that made the fans question their loyalty. People will always pressure devs to continue giving them more of something they love, but devs can rarely deliver on those expectations seeing as most of them strike gold by complete accident. It's actually much, MUCH better to finish your game and then either produce a sequel or move onto something else. That way, your fans will always remember you for that one game they loved so much.

People don't know what's good for them, and it's up to developers to be the dad and say "no, you're being an idiot." Ronimo got high off their own supply and sent their game in a dive. Now people won't remember Awesomenauts as a good game and they won't be as likely to support Ronimo in the future. :shrug:

Supergiant has a much better business model imo: produce one game, send it off, done.
Or you can be like Team Cherry and strike gold on purpose <3

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 am 

I've never heard of anyone disliking Isaac or Minecraft because of additions, much less a majority. Last I checked they were both still insanely popular, especially on YouTube. :shrug:

I'd believe you if you said existing whiners were whining louder because of updates.

Btw, a Super Meat Boy 2 could be absolute garbage and would still sell insanely well.

On the topic of Awesomenauts, the only exposure outside the game I've ever seen of it was an Achievement Hunter video on the console version, which they later regarded as one of their worst videos ever, so... at least by that anecdote, it was never going to be remembered as a good game.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:04 am 

Xelrog wrote:
I've never heard of anyone disliking Isaac or Minecraft because of additions, much less a majority. Last I checked they were both still insanely popular, especially on YouTube. :shrug:

The point being you shouldn't add too much content to a game after its release because people who already like it might start to turn on you, and the people who disliked it were never going to change their minds.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:35 am 

Luckytime wrote:
> Edmund McMillen said "okay, heres super meat boy forever"
> He then developed The Binding of Isaac which became even more popular than SMB
> He updated the hell out of TBOI by continuing to work on it
> People now still love TBOI

"There's only one booty to appease my blasted urges"
:kiss: #Coco's Booty :kiss:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:23 pm 

I want a golden duck.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:55 pm 

Rexic The King wrote:
> Edmund McMillen said "okay, heres super meat boy forever"
> He updated the hell out of TBOI by continuing to work on it
> People now still love TBOI

Super Meat Boy Forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEcBTND0r7M read the comments

TBOI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE_JD0rvDvg Also, nobody likes the Void.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 pm 

Luckytime wrote:
The point being you shouldn't add too much content to a game after its release because people who already like it might start to turn on you, and the people who disliked it were never going to change their minds.

I agree. They shouldn't just continue adding content to this dead game.

They should make Awesomenauts 2. :thumb:

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
The whole "don't add content to a finished game" is a nonsensical argument anyway because Dota's development model is to pile on more and more things while changing hero balance every single patch to keep it fresh, and I don't see Dota failing any time soon, monopoly or not.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:45 pm 

On my end I am just disappointed that the secret project was just something about S&S, a franchise that I never digged into because I like neither the style nor the gameplay. I'm not into RTS but that's barely an argument I guess, since I wasn't into MOBAs before Awesomenauts. But S&S feels more like a mobile game rather than a PC game. I don't really know how to describe it more, but I'm not into it at all. It is at the same time complex enough to make me quit (I don't like "mind puzzles" like the 3rd mission in S&S where you only have a limited amount of troops to make it and you have to figure out who to send on which path and when), but also shallow enough so that I'm not really interested to learn more about the game.

Instead I expected a brand new game. I'd have totally backed their KS if it had been something really new. But a KS for a franchise that is already out and that I don't like? I wouldn't back it regardless of the amount of promised features and/or console ports.

That said, I'd totally buy any new Awesomenauts skin because I still want to support Ronimo. But I just don't want to invest in something that I'm not interested in.

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next