Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Request
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:40 pm 

The leaderboard needs to be fixed for this game.

I know it doesn't matter too much to veterans, but it gives a lot of incentives to new players trying to play the game. The way it is now there is hardly any incentive ranking-wise to play this game to climb ranks after the first 1-1.5 months of a season.

I have played quite a few other MOBA-s, & the opportunity to climb in MMR / Rank / League is a very big incentive to average / low-average / learning players to keep playing the game. I honestly believe if the leaderboards are fixed, it will help to retain at least some percentage of the players who try out the game.

Post subject: Re: Request
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:33 am 

Interesting. Most people on these forums historically have thought the opposite. Brand new players have characters to buy, at least. Veterans have nothing to spend Awesomepoints on, there's just the leaderboards, so a leaderboard rework would benefit only this small minority of veteran players and not really do anything for player retention.

You claim to be a brand newbie who cares a lot about leaderboard position, though. How many hours have you got?

I mean, I've always wanted the leaderboard values to be separate from the certainty-based matchmaking numbers, but I also acknowledged that it was something only vets would care about. If there's any merit to the argument that it would help new player retention, then all the better reason to make it happen.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 am 

Xelrog wrote:
Interesting. Most people on these forums historically have thought the opposite. Brand new players have characters to buy, at least. Veterans have nothing to spend Awesomepoints on, there's just the leaderboards, so a leaderboard rework would benefit only this small minority of veteran players and not really do anything for player retention.

pretty sure thats just u thinking u speak for everyone

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://awesomenautsrumble.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/nGCYF3k

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:58 am 

FOr half a decade have we been bringing this up... Half a decade...

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:19 am 

MrPillowTheGreat wrote:
Xelrog wrote:

Could be. Seemed like a fair assumption, since no one ever vocalized that a leaderboard rework would please new players; just that they, as veterans, wanted it.

And neither of us can speak for new players.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:20 am 

arghyad1 wrote:
I know it doesn't matter too much to veterans, but it gives a lot of incentives to new players trying to play the game. The way it is now there is hardly any incentive ranking-wise to play this game to climb ranks after the first 1-1.5 months of a season.

How can a new player ever want to climb the lb right away? Learn to play, forget the stats, just try everything, then make a smurf and go for it! Everybody does that!
Also what do you mean you can't climb after 1-1.5 months? If you have 300 played games with 20% winrate like me - then yes, it is impossible to climb anywhere but down (that would be the case with any ranked game), but if your stats are good - you're good to go. Just win more and that's it.

ADD:
* actually not impossible, in case someone will pick on my words again. Just need 500-600 wins in a row to be rank 1. Ez. :thumb:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:36 pm 

TY for the replies.

I think you all are taking climbing as direct to league 1 / 2. No. Even a climb to league 7 / 8 from league 9 can be pretty encouraging for someone who just started playing the game .

Regarding how long I am playing, its about a month & ~200 hours (most of that feeding though).

I dunno this community enough to state if its only my opinion I am presenting or there are others who think the same way, but I am speaking as per my experience in other MOBA-s which have way larger player base than Awesomenauts, and are also a lot better in retaining players (though just judging by gameplay, I don't think this game is behind too far, if at all, than those). Those forums have pages long (like may be 5-10, or even more) discussions just regarding their ranking / league / mmr etc.

What I feel when we play a online multiplayer game, we all love to find out where we stand compared to others playing the game; and also the drive to get better than where they are encourages lots of people to keep playing the game. Presently, from my own experience, I don't think I will be able to climb a single league now (in spite of having higher win rate than when I was climbing) just coz its late into the season, & wins are giving me like 1/4th or 1/5th points than they did like 2 weeks or so back.

I will keep playing this game coz I am not really playing to climb this as long I can play with top players which I already can occassionally. I just want more players so that I don't have to play with bots when I queue for PvP.

Also, this is just 1 of the things that can improve, there should be lots of other things that can be changed to attract players to this game.

Edit : This is for the last person - to me any leaderboard that encourages smurfing is highly flawed. Smurfs ruin games, & I won't even bother explaining why coz it's so obvious. In all the other games I played, the whole community despises smurfs so much that they are mostly reported even if they carry the game with like 50-0 score, even by their teammates sometimes. Also, there are MOBA-s that have actively tried to stop smurfing by introducing mobile no registration, etc etc.

And yes, no one should climb with a 20% win rate, but the rewards should be consistent. I already stated that at best I get ~5 times less points for wins than I used to 2 weeks back in spite of playing better now. Why is that?

Also looking at the leaderboard, I had the impression that there are lots of players who just play ~ 50-100 matches, climb to a decent league, & hardly play for rest of the season (this 1 might be wrong though).

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:12 pm 

arghyad1 wrote:
Also looking at the leaderboard, I had the impression that there are lots of players who just play ~ 50-100 matches, climb to a decent league, & hardly play for rest of the season (this 1 might be wrong though).

That is, in fact, how it works. Many (not all) top players artificially boost their rank early on in a season using smurf accounts and then stop playing, and because of the way the system works, they never move.

This is why a leaderboards system separate from matchmaking would need rank decay.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:28 am 

Xelrog wrote:
arghyad1 wrote:

That is, in fact, how it works. Many (not all) top players artificially boost their rank early on in a season using smurf accounts and then stop playing, and because of the way the system works, they never move.

This is why a leaderboards system separate from matchmaking would need rank decay.

Agree. Either a leaderboard with rank decay or same rewards throughout the season that allows others to overtake the artificially inflated ones.

Edit : I found ScR's comment on my other thread regarding inconsistency in rating points; so I am not the only 1 feeling this way. ScR's comment in this thread though confuses me whether he is supporting the present leaderboard or wants a change.

I hope some league 1 cares enough to bring this point up next time Ronimo asks for suggestions. Theorycrafting about in-game balance can only help if the game has a significant playerbase.

Also, I would request League 1's here to suggest changes that can attract new players, rather than only balance changes regarding character skills.

Also noteworthy for a F2P online multiplayer game, as far as I know, rather than buying characters or cosmetics, Fare competition & a healthy pressure (& also the opportunity) to climb up the ladder is what keeps most players playing the game.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:53 am 

Xelrog wrote:
MrPillowTheGreat wrote:
Xelrog wrote:

Could be. Seemed like a fair assumption, since no one ever vocalized that a leaderboard rework would please new players; just that they, as veterans, wanted it.

And neither of us can speak for new players.

good thing i didnt

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://awesomenautsrumble.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/nGCYF3k