Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: How much data does Awesomenauts use?
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:28 pm 

I have limited options for a while now, a faster net with data limitations and unstable crap with no limitations. Im curious how many megas/hour for example playing Awesomenauts uses, so I could switch the better internet on while playing it and use the unstable for everything else. If Awesomenauts uses like 100M/match or something like that, I am outta luck for a while though.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post subject: Re: How much data does Awesomenauts use?
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:27 pm 

i dont know how much awesomenauts uses specifically, but the network packets downloaded/uploaded by most online games are just kilobytes you probably don't have much to worry about

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://awesomenautsrumble.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/nGCYF3k

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:41 pm 

Not sure about how much data exactly Awesomenauts requires. Having said that, as long as you're not relying on a wi-fi connection, you should be good to go.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:37 pm 

monkeybusiness wrote:
as long as you're not relying on a wi-fi connection, you should be good to go.

If you have problems on this game with wi-fi that you don't have with LAN, you have a terrible wireless card.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
monkeybusiness wrote:

If you have problems on this game with wi-fi that you don't have with LAN, you have a terrible wireless card.

or their's congestion on the frequency your modems broadcasting at or a bad modem or youre too far or a million other things

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://awesomenautsrumble.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/nGCYF3k

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:58 pm 

MrPillowTheGreat wrote:
Xelrog wrote:
monkeybusiness wrote:

or their's congestion on the frequency your modems broadcasting at or a bad modem or youre too far or a million other things

7 year old potato laptop + average router/connection + peer-to-peer + other people's crappy connections + people from the Moon = bad times. Worry not, the potato laptop has been put to rest... although what i was trying to say is that having an ethernet cable really helps since it makes the connection a lot more stable in my experience. Wi-fi can be quite fickle at times.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:52 am 

My experience is that there's no difference between me being on wireless or plugged into my router. Mind you, I'm not playing from eight rooms away on a router wrapped in tinfoil--there are basic measures to take, but acting as if playing on wireless is a sin against nature just makes it sound like people who can't wire in are lost causes and shouldn't play the game, when in fact there are many things they can do (if they're even having trouble at all, which I don't).

Hence why I don't like when people make that generalization.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 am 

Being plugged with your RJ45 means nothing. It can go through wires to your router, then to a provider switch, swimming in the basement of a trans substation into a rusty bucket, then to another router plugged to a radio transmitter that transfers your signal to another transmitter that is plugged into another router hanging on its power cable in some abandoned attic being pooped on by pegions and so on. So, it really means nothing if you're using WiFi or a cable unless you setup the thing wrong or your router is crap.

On topic tho. One match will use something-couple-hundred-kilobytes. Just as any other online game match. You can disable local replays storage to make it feel a bit better. But, knowing Awesomenauts, it's best to use a good connection, the bigger bandwidth the better. Still won't guarantee anything since you can get 5 people with their routers swimming into buckets on the Moon...

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 pm 

i was home for the holidays one year and I was playing nauts while tethered to my LTE mobile connection. it worked surprisingly well and used maybe like 10mb of bandwidth in a 15-20 minute game. i'd guess on the high end it's probably like 4kb/s per player, or thereabouts. basically nothing compared to say streaming video.