Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Queue Times
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 am 

Hi guys,
Just a quick question, propably has been discussed before.

I've been playing Awesomenauts for the past three years but not consecutive.
I played a couple of months, then off , on again etc.
I logged in again a few days ago, and the queue times between matches are an average of 5-6 minutes. Is this the normal time?
I can't remember what it used to be a year ago, but now it takes too long.

I want to get in, play two quick matches in 35-40 minutes in the free time I have and get out.
12-15 minutes of dead time for two matches is too long.

Post subject: Re: Queue Times
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 pm 

Cotsos wrote:
5-6 minutes. Is this the normal time?

I'd say it's time we all have to deal with. Players from other MOBAs wouldn't call that normal)
One day you might get lucky and find out the next match would start in 2-3 minutes. It depends on time of the day I guess.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:47 pm 

https://steamcharts.com/app/204300
Feel the difference
Code:
Month    Avg. Players    Gain    % Gain    Peak Players
July 2017    888.3    -463.0    -34.26%    1,553
June 2017    1,351.2    +187.7    +16.13%    3,036

Last 30 Days    362.9    +0.1    +0.04%    650
June 2018    362.7    -6.3    -1.70%    638

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:26 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
This is the F2P Update in action: a paradise of shorter queue times and greater playerbase variety.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:26 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
This is the F2P Update in action: a paradise of shorter queue times and greater playerbase variety.

I'd rather say a string of bad additions and hastily executed decisions. The fact this game wasn't even ready to go f2p when they made the game f2p isn't even close to the first problem.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:25 pm 

As I understand, its not even that much about the time of the day, but about the timing you enter the matchmaking. Say the matchmaker timing is 6 minutes. Its a global timer, and not your personal timer. When the 6 minutes reach zero, everyone in the matchmaking will be put into the match at the same time. So, if you enter the queue when there is 30s left of the timer, you will be in match in 30 seconds. If you enter at unlucky timing when previous cycle just ended, you will wait full 6mins.

When there is plenty of players online, the cycle will be adjusted shorter, like 3 mins though, but same principle follows even if there is 10000 players online or 10.

S_Fits wrote:
I'd rather say a string of bad additions and hastily executed decisions. The fact this game wasn't even ready to go f2p when they made the game f2p isn't even close to the first problem.

Hey we did get at least 1 new active player and community member thanks to it anyway, ScR! :thumb:

That said, Im still confused about the meaningfullness of Awesomepoints and even more about the lack of good leaderboard and season reset system with long term benefits. Those would add so much more to the game.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Last edited by Alpha Z on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged double-post.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:33 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
That's also not particularly true, because a larger playerbase would allow the matchmaking to group players into "optimal" matches in a faster time due to the greater variety of skill levels in the pool of queuers, and the interval could be reduced without compromising the matches it generates.

EDIT: triple post, and I thought this community didn't like leaderboard resets after the last one?

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:26 pm 

IsoKoala wrote:
As I understand, its not even that much about the time of the day, but about the timing you enter the matchmaking. Say the matchmaker timing is 6 minutes. Its a global timer, and not your personal timer. When the 6 minutes reach zero, everyone in the matchmaking will be put into the match at the same time. So, if you enter the queue when there is 30s left of the timer, you will be in match in 30 seconds. If you enter at unlucky timing when previous cycle just ended, you will wait full 6mins.

^ That.

Many players don't seem to understand that this is how the timer works. How long you have to wait depends on when you get out of your match.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm 

As far as I'm aware, that interval is not arbitrary. It's a set value (or dynamic in some way) to ensure reasonable(!) matchmaking speed as a trade-off against quality.

More players means that interval can go down.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:33 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
As far as I'm aware, that interval is not arbitrary. It's a set value (or dynamic in some way) to ensure reasonable(!) matchmaking speed as a trade-off against quality.

More players means that interval can go down.

Yes of course so, I mentioned it in the first post of my c-c-combo. The timer will be shorter if more players are around, but one can still wait 3 minutes when there is superduper many players, and another player enter at good timing and wait 20 seconds even though there is only 6 players in the world playing. The max time of queue is dynamically adjusted by the ammount of players, but the time you actually have to wait is just about luck when you enter the line.

Compared to some games, where the game just queues you for as long, as enough players with set requirements for ping/skill will arrive. Thats how Awesomenauts was in the past too, you could get into match in 10s at times, but other times wait 5 mins and still get a poor match. Overall the new system still gives much better matches imho, even though weird balance occurs time to time still.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?