Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Pls solve this mystery. Origin of Vinnie's voice
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:34 am 

I stumbled upon this interiew of a black comedian. Skip to 5:45. He starts talking about Swing music and does a spot on Vinnie impression "Thats right. See. Myeh." So I was wondering, whats the origin of Vinnies voice? Is it based on a Swing musician, a mob boss or what is it? I would love to have this mystery solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOkB1j2B8K0

We fight for a world without Blind where Nauts can teamfight freely. We stand united and make our voices heard. :rocco: This way, we can make Nauts a better game for our children. :jimmy: Fight the good fight. :ix: Remove Blind from the game. :thumb:

Post subject: Re: Pls solve this mystery. Origin of Vinnie's voice
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:24 am 

It's a parody of famous American mobster Al Capone. It's been the de-facto silly gangster voice in pop culture for nearly a century.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:01 pm 

It's based on Edward G. Robinson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_G._Robinson
An actor who got really famous for his mobster roles.

Here's a bit of the movie Little Caesar:
https://youtu.be/Js6mgxdFLE4

we're giving this thread too much attention for its quality

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:00 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Yeah, it's Robinson.

He never pronounced "yeah" as nyah or even close, though, but he did end sentences with "..., see?".

Little Caesar is really the original of the stereotypical mobster film. I think the novel is also one of the first "true" (by today's standards) mobster novels.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:19 pm 

Btw, for anyone wondering about where the french "hon hon hon" laugh came from (since if you ever went to France you know nobody actually talks like that)

That's Maurice Chevalier.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:38 pm 

Wow. Thanks. All of you were 100% right. :thumb:

This is another Edward G. Robinson scene from Little Caesar. It has a few "That's right. See. Yeah." and people are having fun with that phrase in the comments. It's a bit more subtle and realistic than the over-the top Vinnie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACTkVM6t_bo

But Xelrog was right, too. Here is an Al Capone impression that is EXACTLY like the Vinnie Voice. Here the "That's right. See. M'Yeah." is off the charts. :lolstar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F530ys3Xmt4

So Im assuming that the Little Caesar portrayal had a lasting impression on how people imagine the mob boss stereotype and then projected this portrayal on Al Capone and so on.

Thanks, I really wanted to figure this one out. If you know any other good trivias what Naut voices or catchphrases are based on, feel free to share.

We fight for a world without Blind where Nauts can teamfight freely. We stand united and make our voices heard. :rocco: This way, we can make Nauts a better game for our children. :jimmy: Fight the good fight. :ix: Remove Blind from the game. :thumb:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:44 pm 

I just saw there's even a "Yeah. See." playlist on Youtube and one of them has a Dave Chappelle comedy bit where he jokes about talking like this to the police. He also totally sounds like the Vinnie voice. "Myeah"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWh1PLPhW8

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:49 pm 

One final clip because this totally confirms our theory that the voice is based on the Little Caesar portrayal. This is a clip from a Buggs Bunny cartoon with Little Caesar in it as a cartoon version of himself. I guess this where the over the top style originated. It also contains one of Vinnies phrases from the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed1ofgp0Y9I

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Yeah, the Looney Tunes referenced the hell out of everything.

I mean, ever thought about the name Looney Tunes itself? It's an odd name... because it was a reference to the Silly Symphony collection, also by Walt Disney. There's also the Merry Melodies, too. The less famous siblings, I guess.

Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner are also direct parodies of Tom and Jerry, in that one thing chases but never catches the other. The former also references Rube Goldberg. You also have Tweety and Sylvester, which follows the same pattern as the other two—Tweety himself being a reference to Red Skelton's most famous character, Junior: although his iconic catchphrase ("I dood it!") never made an appearance, as far as I know.

The Golden Age was a mess of copying and inspirations. It made them lots of money.

As for Awesomenauts, the only one that really springs to mind is Voltar's reference to Six Million Dollar Man ("Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology."). Ayla's also a pile of references to all sorts of famous movies and cartoons, as well as Ashly Burch's own work.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:41 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
As for Awesomenauts, the only one that really springs to mind is Voltar's reference to Six Million Dollar Man ("Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology."). Ayla's also a pile of references to all sorts of famous movies and cartoons, as well as Ashly Burch's own work.

You mention that but not his predator reference?

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.