Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Ronimo, who's your target audience?
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:09 am 

I feel like Ronimo worked too hard to appeal to a market that wasn't there when they changed a lot of the core mechanics of the game *COUGH* EXP SYSTEM *COUGH* and now they're too proud / afraid / something to backtrack and are instead trying to grab new customers to replace the ones they lost with their dumb decisions.
Ronimo had their playerbase but they got sick of waiting and left. Now they really have no direction.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:45 am 

IsoKoala wrote:
The fact that they newer had one like that on drawing board or in develpment at all, is sad and indeed reeks of desperation.

is it fact though?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:58 pm 

IsoKoala wrote:
It also puzzles me, that what has the team then been doing? Awesomenauts upgrades, thanks for those sure! Much appreciated by myself, even though some here hate everything new in the game. Those upgrades have kept the game alive nevertheless, if development was stopped 3 years ago as some people keep wanting, there would be no game. But right. Those upgrades have taken their time. But what else? There is many artists at Ronimo, surely it doesnt take months of work for 5-6 artist everyone, to make one naut? Id say 2 artists, 1 month each at tops (one makes naut for 5 weeks, one effects for 3 weeks or something like that).

I am asking myself the same questions as you. Especially considering Ronimo's team size, and the fact that they were looking for interns a couple of months back.

Either they are working on another secret project that isn't S&S2. Or they already started firing people without us noticing. Or they are all happily doing whatever while funds are still there. Or there is perhaps much more about S&S2 than what they showed us?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:25 pm 

potterman28wxcv wrote:
IsoKoala wrote:
It also puzzles me, that what has the team then been doing? Awesomenauts upgrades, thanks for those sure! Much appreciated by myself, even though some here hate everything new in the game. Those upgrades have kept the game alive nevertheless, if development was stopped 3 years ago as some people keep wanting, there would be no game. But right. Those upgrades have taken their time. But what else? There is many artists at Ronimo, surely it doesnt take months of work for 5-6 artist everyone, to make one naut? Id say 2 artists, 1 month each at tops (one makes naut for 5 weeks, one effects for 3 weeks or something like that).

I am asking myself the same questions as you. Especially considering Ronimo's team size, and the fact that they were looking for interns a couple of months back.

Their team is barely that big tough.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:08 pm 

Mr Nutz jr wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:
IsoKoala wrote:

Their team is barely that big tough.

They are something like 20?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:34 pm 

Their team is 15-20 (+sounds and music that are outsourced to another company), you could count from the Kickstarter picture. But certainly they have more artists, than it takes to create new nauts at the pace they release those. F2P upgrade had big UI overhaul that took work, but after that they havent released big content that would occupy more than 2 artists. For balance, Im pretty sure they only have 1 designer for that and occasionally 1 programmer when needed.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I don't think it's much good for you all to speculate on numbers you don't, and can't possibly, know.

Even if we run with the idea that Ronimo is developing a project on the side of the Swords and Soldiers II release—which I would find hugely unlikely—their keeping stumm about it does not help.

Again, this isn't Valve. Could you imagine what levels of insanity the internet would descend into if they posted just a plaintext "3" on their Twitter? People would rip each other apart with theories. There would be nuclear war. Ronimo can't generate that sort of hype the same way (or, indeed, at all). There needs to be some level of engagement with the product to keep people's attention. The ability to connect with a playerbase on a more personal level is really the only advantage that indie and small-team developers have over the much larger organisations.

Well... that, and not possessing EA's PR department.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:29 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
I don't think it's much good for you all to speculate on numbers you don't, and can't possibly, know.

Software development sure is expensive generally speaking. Every programmer knows all tasks tend to take double the time you thought they would take in the first place..

In terms of pure programming, I do think porting S&S2 to PC is keeping all Ronimo programmers very busy. Making the game run, and then creating a matchmaking system, ensuring servers work.. A lot of stuff on their plate.

I guess the question was more about artists. But Ronimo does put a lot of details into their graphics, so perhaps they're just all busy drawing very detailed art and/or designing lots of S&S2 maps.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:02 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I was talking more about the number of people in Ronimo's employ. Unless someone here has actually asked the question recently and has a figure that they're dutifully not telling us, I don't see the use in speculating on how many developers, artists, or designers there are at Ronimo. Knowing the number of people isn't helpful if you don't know their jobs, unless they're exactly proportional to an "average " developer—something you, again, cannot know.

That said, I'm not even sure that Ronimo itself knows how many people it employs, considering that the Shawarmageddon Kickstarter states "a team of about 16", as if the Dutch come in denominations of less than a whole person, like weird, overtly fleshy pieces of LEGO.

I also have no doubt that porting S&SII to the PS4 and the PC is a lot of work, but is it the right work? That's the real question. Will it pay off?

The multiplayer is certainly not eating into development time, though, because the aforementioned Kickstarter specifically states that it's already functional. That's why I'm not a fan of speculation.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:49 am 

S&SII to me looks like it would make a good mobile game, I doubt it will be very popular on home consoles or PC.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.