Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Mechanic Idea: Tilt AA
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 am 

(Not posting this in the Fan-made forum since it's not really a whole character idea, though I'm sure if I dug I'd probably find this idea on several fan nauts)

It would be very cool to see a character with a melee auto attack that was affected by which direction the character was pressing. The attack might vary or have different properties (knockback?) based on if the character was standing still, holding forward, holding up, or holding down. Like tilt attacks in Smash Bros.

People complain that characters aren't deep enough in terms of gameplay, and have too low of skill ceilings. This kind of AA would have a little bit of depth to it, without having to go so far as long, complicated combos (Street Fighter). It would also be very easy for players to grasp, as it's employed in many, many platforming games--like pressing down + A to slide in Mega Man games.

If all four directions is too much, even an AA that functions differently when you're moving as opposed to when you're standing still would be fun and novel. Better than the weird, inconsistent feeling of "every other attack" that Scoop has, for instance. Maybe that's just me. :shrug:

Share your thoughts.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post subject: Re: Mechanic Idea: Tilt AA
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 am 

Xelrog wrote:
If all four directions is too much, even an AA that functions differently when you're moving as opposed to when you're standing still would be fun and novel. Better than the weird, inconsistent feeling of "every other attack" that Scoop has, for instance.

Could be fun.
An alternative could be one attack when you're on the ground and a different one when you're jumping in the air. Maybe a downwards smash to ground fliers. :lol:

we're giving this thread too much attention for its quality

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 am 

Could be fun, but would require plenty of work for the animator to make all the AAs different and thus the play system meaningful.

Also, some nauts like Skoldir could have had something like that already, but now its too late to add it to them since he is an estabilished character already. Skoldir feels like the brawler who should be "tap button to jab, hold down button for power smash!". And Jimmy too perhaps.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 pm 

Air/ground could also be a good mechanic for different AA's. I'm not as sure about tap/hold, as that creates at least a minimal delay in order for the game to tell which one you're doing. It's like using the aim assist feature on Clunk's Bite--it inherently slows it down by a few frames, which doesn't feel good.

It would take some more animation than a standard single AA, to be sure, but no more than they've already done for Nauts like Scoop, Skolldir, and LUX.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:04 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
I'm not as sure about tap/hold, as that creates at least a minimal delay in order for the game to tell which one you're doing. It's like using the aim assist feature on Clunk's Bite--it inherently slows it down by a few frames, which doesn't feel good.

Not necessarily.
Lets say that Skoldirs animation for punching is 30 frames. 10 frames for pulling the fist back, 10 frames for landing the punch, and 10 frames for going back to initial position. If you would tap the button for less than 10 frames, the punch would go at the speed and frames said. But if you hold it longer, the punch will be delayed by the ammount of frames ypu hold in the "fist behind the back"-position until you release the button. Charging up while there. Of course if animations are super fast, this could turn into delay, if it wasnt humanly precice to control click at the same speed as the game would require.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:37 pm 

An AA that takes 10 frames minimum to proc is slow, clunky, and unfun. Virtually every AA in this game is instant.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:43 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
An AA that takes 10 frames minimum to proc is slow, clunky, and unfun. Virtually every AA in this game is instant.

I'm fairly certain that a lot (well, atleast a couple) of melee attacks has a delay that is longer than 6th of a second, yet they feel nice to use. Gives them weight.

A complicated AA would be interesting to see.

If you want a short name for me, just use Sten.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:51 pm 

Given that aa cancelling is a thing on the majority of the cast it's well within the realm of possibility to include an extra input between pressing an aa and the aa actually happening

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:25 am 

The Wise Sten wrote:
Xelrog wrote:

I'm fairly certain that a lot (well, atleast a couple) of melee attacks has a delay that is longer than 6th of a second, yet they feel nice to use. Gives them weight.

Is Nauts 60 FPS? I was figuring 30, and thought they were talking 1/3 of a second. 1/6 would be more tolerable.

Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:38 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Pretty sure Awesomenauts uses the standard 60 ticks per second.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.