Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Mechanic Idea: Tilt AA
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:25 am 

Yeah I was thinking that one AA lasts 1/2 ish second not a full one. But thats irrelevant, I used numbers of 10 just for simplicity to explain the mechanics. Surely system like that wouldnt work for Leon or Ksenia who have small fast melee attacks that dont really have much buildup animation, but for bulkier characters with big melee swings like Skolldir or Scoop such systems would work just fine.
Of course that wont happen for them in upgrades, but if Awesomenauts 2 was a thing, melee characters could be split into comboers, charger punchers like this.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:38 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Generally, you want the attack to happen as soon after the player's input as possible (to prevent the action feeling sluggish), and then you can balance the attack speed with longer backswing animations. Skølldir is a good example of this; the first punch is very prompt, but the rest of the combo takes some time to pull off, yet none of it feels unresponsive.

Melee attacks changing depending on the direction of movement is an interesting idea, especially for things like ground-pound abilities or AA-based 'Nauts.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm 

Skolldir's first punch is basically instant and Scoop's is only a couple frames startup, so those are poor examples. I think LUX's is the slowest starting AA, isn't it?

The "different if tapped" thing could work, but like I said, it would be a lot easier to foul up than other ideas in this thread. And the way Koala's describing it, it would also mean you couldn't hold the button down for a continuous attack. If there were a hold mechanic, I'd prefer something like Bayonetta's attacks in Smash--instant attack, then something continuous happens while it's held. The "different AA on ground and in air" was a neat idea.

There are generally a lot of possibilities for more in-depth melee AA's that just haven't been realized yet.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:10 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
Skolldir's first punch is basically instant and Scoop's is only a couple frames startup, so those are poor examples. I think LUX's is the slowest starting AA, isn't it?

The "different if tapped" thing could work, but like I said, it would be a lot easier to foul up than other ideas in this thread. And the way Koala's describing it, it would also mean you couldn't hold the button down for a continuous attack.

Yeah, I know they are quite fast now, and obviously shouldnt be turned into that at this point of games life. I brought Scoop up, since he is a big guy with big sword, and turning that into tactical-timing weapon like two handers are in Dark Souls wouldnt be bad in my world. The chargers could also buy Sonic Boom-like ranged attacks to their fully charged attack etc. This is just my idea of how it could be fun to divide melee weapons into completely two different categories of fast combo AAs and tactical charge button pressers who also give visual cue for the opponent as well. Of course I understand this or flying AAs or directional control etc (downwards flying attack and dragon punch uppercut would indeed be cool though) wont happen in Awesomenaut, but in the Dream world where Ronimo makes Awesomenauts 2, separating melees like this could be fun.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:23 pm 

For the record, I have already suggested tilted melee attacks here.