Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Whats the punishment for leaving during character choosing?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:20 am 

By doing so, you make the other 5 people go back into the que, giving them 6.5 more minutes of waiting time. Wasting 5 other peoples like that should give you a big automati punishment, lets say rank loss 2x of what you would get by losing, and 30 mins lock from matchmaking.

I feel this is not the case, as people still do this a lot.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post subject: Re: Whats the punishment for leaving during character choosi
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:48 am 

Honestly I've mentioned this in the anger management thread, but I got a routine player who chooses not to participate and stands in base, kills creeps and taunts you for losing solo.
I saw him again in character select 2 rounds later and just bailed. Its not worth my time to deal with such nonsense. And i got punished for it with a lockout! Punished for evading Getting bullied again. I feel like match leaving should be punishable based on a players consistency. I never do it, but I made an exception, and got punished. Other times people do it because they see a player they think will cost them the match. Either way...meh xD

My Awesomenauts Blog!

TWO-FOUR-SIX-EIGHT: PUT SOME COOKIES ON MY PLATE

My Mission is to show that you can be a top tier player and still not spread hate and stupidity, but be kind and welcoming to others.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:41 pm 

There is no real way to get around this, quitting a game is by no definition a criminal offence, and likewise the punishment is never going to be good enough to actually deter players from it.

Ratings hit will never work -
The interesting thing is that to a quitter losing is considerable less fun, and instead of bearing it like most players, they just leave to get back into the system via a new game after the time penalty. A rating hit in turn is actually beneficial to a quitter, as it will lower their ranking allowing them to match up with worse players increasing the odds of them winning.

e.g A ratings hit is actually beneficial to the quitter as a form of match manipulation

Time delay can work depending on the value -
Time delay is exactly that a delay, I don't actually know the number time punishment so assuming that its 5 minutes or so, this can be considerable less time then actually completing their game, so this punishment to the eyes of a quitter is better then completing the losing match.

e.g if time punishment is 5 minutes and an average match is 12 ish minutes ( for me maybe ) as a quitter will leave early on say 3 minutes in ( 5 + 3 = 8 ) < 12 giving quitter a time save of 4 minutes to get back in queue.

Note that doubling the time punishment would most likely just mean the quitter will stay in game but not assist at all, instead feeding to speed up the loss, which in my eyes is worse then a bot

Proposal :
A punishment which abides the games rules should not be used to punish quitters, as they naturally don't care about them anyway, instead a system such as a "cheater hell" or custom matchup vs other quitters would act be more suitable. Or

That said time and resources are better allocated elsewhere for the Ronimo team due to the player base I doubt this will actually be big enough of an issue to require changes.

Main: Raork(Clunk)

Total kills: 39344
Total Clunk kills: 26305
http://www.twitch.tv/raorkxd

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 pm 

SandyDragginz wrote:
Honestly I've mentioned this in the anger management thread, but I got a routine player who chooses not to participate and stands in base, kills creeps and taunts you for losing solo.
I saw him again in character select 2 rounds later and just bailed. Its not worth my time to deal with such nonsense. And i got punished for it with a lockout!

To be fair, if the player in question were dealt with, this scenario wouldn't be a factor for consideration.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:14 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
You were punished with a lock because you left a match before its end. There is zero sympathy to be had. Just because you deem your allies ("allies") not to be worth your time does not mean you get to inconvenience them and leave the match prematurely—even if you honestly think they're utterly useless/feeders/intentional griefers.

Indeed, you could even make the point that you ruined the third player's match by leaving when you saw you were on the same team as the other issue player. That deserves punishment, otherwise you'll encourage the "why bother staying in this match" attitude that games don't need.

As a result, the fact that I support greater punishment for premature leavers shouldn't be a surprise. Obviously, give players a single grace instance every week/few days (for any genuine reasons), but other than that, pile on the punishments.

Inter leavers in labor camps.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:14 am 

Quote:
As a result, the fact that I support greater punishment for premature leavers shouldn't be a surprise. Obviously, give players a single grace instance every week/few days (for any genuine reasons), but other than that, pile on the punishments.

This is what I agree with, and have stated previously. in this case I know I am doing that 3rd innocent player a favor. They won't lose rank because I left as they would if they were forced to lose.

My Awesomenauts Blog!

My Mission is to show that you can be a top tier player and still not spread hate and stupidity, but be kind and welcoming to others.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:48 am 

Leaving during character select results in an immediate lockout.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:46 am 

Xelrog wrote:
SandyDragginz wrote:
I saw him again in character select 2 rounds later and just bailed. Its not worth my time to deal with such nonsense. And i got punished for it with a lockout!

To be fair, if the player in question were dealt with, this scenario wouldn't be a factor for consideration.

You're asking too much from ronimo tbh

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:08 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
SandyDragginz wrote:
This is what I agree with, and have stated previously. in this case I know I am doing that 3rd innocent player a favor. They won't lose rank because I left as they would if they were forced to lose.

That's not how any of this works. You don't get to do other players "favours" and leave their matches to save them from those you deem to be undesirable. That encourages all sorts of leaving in and of itself.

I agree with Xelrog on the whole "where are the bans" thing, but I don't understand why anyone thinks Ronimo's going to magically start acting on reports and punish poor sportsmanship when they're even less focused on Awesomenauts now than they ever were.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:27 pm 

It does, I don't mean undesirable in a sense of lack of skill, I mean Players who straight up refuse to play and will force the team to lose. The community is small enough to where we can see those people because they do it Every match. If I leave during character select, that third player takes no hit. And I believe I had a valid reason for doing so.

My Awesomenauts Blog!