Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: What would you want from a new nauts game?
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 am 

robochase6000 wrote:
idea: Awesomenauts 2 takes place 30 years after the original. Many original characters are still around, but they're old and have new abilities to reflect that.

Hey, if it means Yoolip has died from old age, I'm on board. :p

we're giving this thread too much attention for its quality

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 am 

One big thing I would like to see, is a galactic map. It would show the locations of the planets in Awesomenauts universe, and also work as a portal to watching matches etc. You could see what battles are taking place on Ribbit planets, and what is the current balance in red vs blue universe war. The community maps/brawls would appear on the map as Black holes.
The game would require more than 5 maps to make this really intresting, though...

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 am 

IsoKoala wrote:
One big thing I would like to see, is a galactic map. It would show the locations of the planets in Awesomenauts universe, and also work as a portal to watching matches etc. You could see what battles are taking place on Ribbit planets, and what is the current balance in red vs blue universe war. The community maps/brawls would appear on the map as Black holes.
The game would require more than 5 maps to make this really intresting, though...

Interactive graphics main menu should definitally become a thing. :thumb:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:51 pm 

I don't really understand why people want to remove the old characters, even if temporarily. After 6 years of existance this game still has quite a modest quantity of them, even a person who never played LoL or Dota2 would notice that. What's a problem? If you're a veteran, play new characters. If you're new to Awesomenauts, the old ones characters are still good and fun to play with, aren't they? And since Ronimo is a small independent game studio, I bet there would be not many new characters from the start. Not mentioning the idea crisis and copycat-Nauts.
If we're talking about completely new game engine --> all existing animations re-drawing... Well, minus creating process (it's an updating of an old thing) I think that's pretty a decent work and a reason players would pay for. Like most of us payed for Overdrive and Starstorm expansions. And a damn good reason for some old Nauts' new deluxe skins people are asked for eternity.

Also I don't know how business goes with VA and I think calculating other people expenses is wrong, so if keeping old voices is pricy... well, I have no right to insist.
As for revoiceing old charaters, I believe that's possible if new skins bring them completely new personality. We all know there won't be any new TotalBisquit lines. That's sad. But I personally wouldn't mind any other person voiced Vinnie, 'cause you know - tributes - and what could be done by changing the original Naut's mood completely. The regular Scoop and the Scoop Warlord - these are like two different identities! Why not?

Now what I'm bothered about a bit. If Awesomenauts 2 becomes real, what would be with our personal records? I'm a completionist. Someone would say it's so unimportant, but I would appreciate if medals and stats are transferred from one game into another. Skins - ok, since devs have to draw them anew, I might buy them one more time (a small discount -20% would be nice for those who purchased it already and supported devs in the past), but grinding XP for leveling up Rocket or someone else again seems not fun at all. I don't want feeling like after-f2p player unlocking killing spree music. If you want up levelcup from 12 to 25 so veterans still had something new to achieve (mb golden guns or unique 25lvl ribbon on a hat) - I'm ok. But I need my progress, seriously.

Some of my thoughts about player base increasing:
1) Minor crossing with other games. Like Chivalry and Payday 2, like TF2 and Alien Swarm. You bring in one or two skins (skin elements) from the other game, the other part does the same. As the result a small part of other game community would take interest and come see what's in your game. Especially if you make mutual in-game challenge for getting these items/skins.
2) No f2p and Humble. If people get something for free or cheap they have one reason less to invest their time in it. Steam 'Free weekend' is your best deal - that's an adv for new players, a possibility to try the game before buying (R6 Siege proves this an excellent move) and temporary player base increase for a weekend (once every two months is ok I think. Esp if you would manage to bring in an update to this moment). Yes, there're people willing to play on weekends but not buying the game. Dk why, my be they just need some variety from time to time.
OR I might be wrong and it depends on the game. But after f2p there's no turning back.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:11 pm 

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need a 'new' Awesomenauts; just a major expansion to the old one to attract another influx of players. Most of the biggest issues with 'nauts at present stem from the fact that there simply aren't enough people playing at any given time. If Team Fortress 2 can keep chugging along for as long as it has, I see no reason why Awesomenauts couldn't aspire to do similarly.
By contrast the only thing a sequel could do to justify existing when the original still has a playerbase would be to radically change things around, at which point it wouldn't be Awesomenauts anymore.

That said, if we were going to get a sequel, the only things I'd really want from it besides updated netcode and better matchmaking (as nebulous as the concept might be) would be a wider selection of maps, a few more characters, and some kind of single-player story mode to help teach new players the mechanics - as well as provide a bit of goofy, light-hearted story.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:48 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Team Fortress 2 is the second instalment of the Team Fortress franchise. Its creation, and subsequent success, were driven by a desire to capitalise on the positives of its predecessor, while ironing out the issues and bugs present in said predecessor.

By your own logic, that's a point in favour of an Awesomenauts 2.

At that, you don't need to radically change things around with sequels for them to be a success (e.g. Borderlands and Borderlands 2, every single FIFA ever, every single Halo ever, both Left 4 Deads, every single Battlefield ever, arguably all three Witchers, and every single Modern Warfare ever).

Awesomenauts isn't particularly special in any real way; it's developers aren't legendary, its art style is nothing new, and the whole MOBA concept has been done to death in the Dota/LoL holding pattern. It sold pretty well, and made some decent waves, because it filled the slot of "2D MOBA".

So long as that stays the same, there's precisely zero competition. Take the original Awesomenauts forumla, shine it up a bit, and sell it on Steam. Ignore the console like they're the hot garbage we all know they are, and we're golden. Ronimo doesn't need to try and redefine the MOBA genre because that's never going to happen. Valve controls that market so completely that they've hooked a generation of kids on gambling with zero repercussions.

Don't compete with what can't be beaten. Good netcode, better long-term expansion, modding support, and an actual bugfixing cycle, please. Don't bother with innovation until you've got both feet in the door and people will buy your games irrespective of how bad they actually are.

See: the vast majority of the big publishers and their endless money making machines of consistent dribble with zero flavour.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:20 pm 

If Ronimo were to ever release another game around the Awesomenauts, it would have to be a different genre, I don't think people want to try out a new MOBA anymore.

It would be like then Blizzard released World of Warcraft or Hearthstone, building on a popular brand/franchise with a popular/appealing genre.

I'd say release a style of game where the nauts fight each other in arenas with basic objectives. Kind of like a 2D overwatch, but smaller teams and the objective not being as key to focus on like in Battlerite, with the ball in the middle and the orbs.

I am the one and only Paraakie
Modder & Rare Gearlyfish
My mods

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:11 am 

CookieMaster wrote:
If Ronimo were to ever release another game around the Awesomenauts, it would have to be a different genre, I don't think people want to try out a new MOBA anymore.

But Awesomenauts doesn't appeal to MOBA fans. It appeals to platformer fans.

MOBA fans have what they want. There's no point trying to appeal to them because they're already playing other games they're loyal to. There's no platformer loyalty, and there are no other 2D platforming MOBA's. There's already huge potential in the genre because there's zero competition. It all falls on execution and marketing.

Besides all that, your suggestion has already been attempted and failed.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:01 pm 

Yeah, that. I play Awesomenauts solely because its a 2D and a platformer. In real mobas I have no more than 3-5 hours at max, and not intrested even if Dota 3 or whatever arrived. The genre just is not for me.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:03 am 

Xelrog wrote:
CookieMaster wrote:

But Awesomenauts doesn't appeal to MOBA fans. It appeals to platformer fans.

MOBA fans have what they want. There's no point trying to appeal to them because they're already playing other games they're loyal to. There's no platformer loyalty, and there are no other 2D platforming MOBA's. There's already huge potential in the genre because there's zero competition. It all falls on execution and marketing.

Besides all that, your suggestion has already been attempted and failed.

I do think you have a point, that Nauts 2 should take advantage of it's uniqueness and noncompetitive market position. However I do think it will have to differ enough from OG Nauts to not compete with its original.

Hence, my second suggestion, tries to move away from the MOBA mechanics, removing droids and replacing them with stronger jungle minions. On top of that you could have a boss in the middle of the map, who causes turrets to be disarmed when defeated.
The idea is that nauts, who previously were good at killing droids are good at taking out the boss in the middle and stronger jungle minions grant solar and xp.

I am the one and only Paraakie
Modder & Rare Gearlyfish
My mods