Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: IF a new Awesomenauts game happens
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:55 pm 

FishmanDerp wrote:
a greater emphasis on movement, telegraphs and soft debuffs would be fun for a new Awesomenauts. The current one feels bogged down by the heavy amount of hard CC being thrown around...

...The current Awesomenauts just leaves windup skills of 2012 Nauts feeling underwhelmingly overcompensated when you get all the instant crap of 2018 Nauts to compare it to. What's the point of 2012 Clunk's powerhouse telegraphs when the instant Snork can rival that damage over a quarter of the time, you know?

great points!

FishmanDerp wrote:
an incentive to 'get good' at the map would be fun

Compared to traditional MOBAs, I think nauts actually has quite a bit of "get good at the map" gameplay, but it's very centered around mastery of each characters' mobility & knowing how to move through levels as efficiently as possible.

I know what you're getting at though, and wouldn't mind more accessible-but-nuanced stuff in the maps.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:29 pm 

o hi wats this place

Honestly, I'd like a sequel to be a different genre. The MOBA aspect is what killed the game for me. PVP combat and controlling your character is a tonne of fun and has the most skill ceiling. But when the game came down to pushing, clearing droids, and defending, that's what got tedious and boring (and not to mention very snowbally). Maybe things are slightly different after a year and a half, but it really doesn't sound that way.

Another thing to that is that MOBAs in general are in a bad spot. League and DOTA are bleeding players. SMITE is off the radar. Heroes of the Storm is stable for now, but it's never been a powerhouse. You can pull in returning players and new players alike with a big rebranding and focus shift.

My ideal Awesomenauts 2 would be an arena brawler using similar mechanics, but going straight to the meat of the gameplay. You can have a new cast of characters (with lots of returning faces) and tighter 'Naut design all around. Basically, I want an Arena Walls custom mode as the focus.

I'm not back, I was checking to see if literally anything has changed over the past four months and decided to add my 2 cents. The TV Tropes page is completely dead, by the way. Like somebody said it would be :cocoon:

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:46 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
MurlocAggroB wrote:
Another thing to that is that MOBAs in general are in a bad spot. League and DOTA are bleeding players. SMITE is off the radar. Heroes of the Storm is stable for now, but it's never been a powerhouse. You can pull in returning players and new players alike with a big rebranding and focus shift.

Not only was the most recent International's prize pool the highest ever recorded for any game at any point in history ever, but Dota 2's playerbase has been more or less consistent over the last year. Indeed, it's actually done better than predicted.

It's definitely not growing very fast, though, which is the real concern. As to whether that means MOBAs are in a bad place or not, I'd be hesitant to say yes. It's more the appeal of other games at the moment which is diverting players.

As for SMITE... well, that was never really a game in the first place. That was a mass of congealed failure.

The idea of rebranding is interesting.

robochase6000 wrote:
Compared to traditional MOBAs, I think nauts actually has quite a bit of "get good at the map" gameplay, but it's very centered around mastery of each characters' mobility & knowing how to move through levels as efficiently as possible.

Really?

The ward game is an iconic part of Dota, as is LoL's focus on its own jungle and vision. Awesomenauts has very little beyond zones of instant death, which aren't particularly hard to set up nor to play around. There's almost zero metagame. Gnaw's old, permanent Weedlings were probably the closest that we got to a "game inside a game", as is Ramona.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:52 am 
Adminaut

The Lord Protector wrote:
As for SMITE... well, that was never really a game in the first place. That was a mass of congealed failure.

I know this is the ebin MOBA rivalry banter but honestly Smite was doing just fine, if there's a player loss issue with that game I'd blame Hi-Rez for doing what they always do and diverting resources to hot new trends over strong continued support for the moderate successes they already have their hands on. If you want a dumb pretentious analogy, they want the two birds in the bush rather than the one in their hand. Their restructuring to several smaller companies might be some weird tax evasion strategy or it might be reflective of an attempt to rectify this issue, hard for me to say though.

Smite was a cool idea either way though thanks to an emphasis on telegraphs and skillshots, whereas DOTA and League's design invites a few point and click abilities and mouse-based movement is inherently more cumbersome than standard WASD. Not to say these games have no dodging at all, Smite's base design just put more emphasis on that and that's a quality I like even if I'm probably never going to play it. Any bad content layered on that can take away from that strong core though.

MurlocAggroB wrote:

I agree it's out of fashion but at the same time I'd argue the main reason Awesomenauts is still kicking is because it has its rather specific qualities that nothing has competed with yet. As for if it's wise to stick to those guns and guarantee a small returning group or go for something new and basically hedge bets on netting a bigger audience is a question for a market analysis and not for me.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm 

Again, Awesomenauts is not drawing from a MOBA playerbase. From a commercial standpoint, from an advertising standpoint, it's not a MOBA. Or rather, it's not a MOBA that happens to be a platformer--it's a platformer that happens to be a MOBA. Thinking of it as a competitor with the likes of Smite and DOTA is misguided and just simply not true. It's not fighting for those players, and it would be foolish to try to.

Awesomenauts is a draw to people who have played platformers before by providing something new to them. And as far as 2D platformers go, virtually everything else has been done to death. Pick absolutely any other genre and it's been done as a 2D platformer time and time again. The 2D MOBA is all their own.

The only possible exception I can think of is 2D MMO, which is way off genre for Ronimo, requires dedicated servers, and would require them to do better than MapleStory in terms of both gameplay and advertising.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:00 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Xelrog wrote:
Again, Awesomenauts is not drawing from a MOBA playerbase. From a commercial standpoint, from an advertising standpoint, it's not a MOBA.

No, it absolutely is.

Steam lists it as "Awesomenauts - the 2D MOBA".

It contains all the principle elements of a MOBA.

It is a MOBA, but one in two dimensions. Awesomenauts has more in common with a MOBA than it does any true platformer.

I agree with the whole "why bother competing with Valve" thing, though.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:31 am 

That point is moot.
Mario kart is a completely different kind of game to soemthing like The Crew or Need for Speed. Just because they are both racing games doesn't mean that they appeal to the same crowds.

Awesomenauts is sufficiently different from other mobas to be its own niche

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.