Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts



Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author Message
 Post subject: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:53 am
Posts: 2779
I'll begin this by saying I haven't played regularly in years, and also that in no way am I trying to come across as toxic or cruel. I've been following the development of Awesomenauts very loosely for a while, and I've been watching Ronimo's facebook activities the past few months and I'm honestly just confused. I recognize a lot of old timers posting here, so I'm wondering if some people could fill me in.

First of all, how is Ronimo still in business? Awesomenauts went F2P a while ago and doesn't seem to have more than a few hundred active players. They do not regularly release skins anymore, nor any other games. How are they still functioning as a company, assuming everyone is full time? IIRC there were 12+ people employed at Ronimo at the very least. How do they afford to pay all of these people a salary if they aren't producing games?

And what are they even working on right now? I remember seeing their kickstarter for... a port of a Wii U game that nobody really played and I was very confused. When it didn't get any of the funding I felt pretty sad for them, but was even more surprised when they announced they'd be making it anyway. Is there a big swords and soldiers fanbase I'm not noticing or something? Why spend all this time and effort porting an old Wii U exclusive for a series that never received many fans, even in the Awesomenauts playerbase?

Lastly, this is a bit of a smaller gripe, but did anybody notice how after what I've read to be months and months of complete silence with the community, a critical period where they probably lost a lot of players, Ronimo JUST started actively posting on the Awesomenauts facebook page? Like, the community could've used memes and behind the scenes photos and all this active engagement when it was dwindling down... not after almost everyone has left and you aren't making new content anymore. It makes me sad to see Awesomenauts posts get 10-30 likes at best. I remember when the older nauts were getting teased and those posts would get hundreds and hundreds of likes.

Sorry to be a downer y'all. Awesomenauts was kind of an important part of my teen years I'd say and I feel really depressed lurking and seeing all this silence and barely-liked social media content. What the hell happened?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 2584
Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Klawbster wrote:
First of all, how is Ronimo still in business? Awesomenauts went F2P a while ago and doesn't seem to have more than a few hundred active players. They do not regularly release skins anymore, nor any other games. How are they still functioning as a company, assuming everyone is full time? IIRC there were 12+ people employed at Ronimo at the very least. How do they afford to pay all of these people a salary if they aren't producing games?

Either they're not paying full salaries or they're not employing as many people. If I had to guess, it's the latter.

That said, I don't think it's particularly helpful to speculate on their financial situation. No one is privvy to the numbers to any degree, so the discussion can't go anywhere useful.

Klawbster wrote:
And what are they even working on right now? I remember seeing their kickstarter for... a port of a Wii U game that nobody really played and I was very confused. When it didn't get any of the funding I felt pretty sad for them, but was even more surprised when they announced they'd be making it anyway. Is there a big swords and soldiers fanbase I'm not noticing or something? Why spend all this time and effort porting an old Wii U exclusive for a series that never received many fans, even in the Awesomenauts playerbase?

No, there's not a large playerbase for Swords and Soldiers. The game is functionally dead on Steam and I can't see that being any better on other platforms.

As for the whole, "Why would they port a game no one is interested in?" debacle, the answer is that... uh... well, you see...

Something something rerelease old content something something desperation. I'd be concerned, but Ronimo already knows that no one will play it—the Kickstarter was the final nail in that particular coffin—so they must all have severely selective amnesia at this point.

Klawbster wrote:
Lastly, this is a bit of a smaller gripe, but did anybody notice how after what I've read to be months and months of complete silence with the community, a critical period where they probably lost a lot of players, Ronimo JUST started actively posting on the Awesomenauts facebook page? Like, the community could've used memes and behind the scenes photos and all this active engagement when it was dwindling down... not after almost everyone has left and you aren't making new content anymore. It makes me sad to see Awesomenauts posts get 10-30 likes at best. I remember when the older nauts were getting teased and those posts would get hundreds and hundreds of likes.

"But it's different this time, guys. We swear, we'll communicate more."

Et cetera, et cetera. You know the drill. We've done this, like, four times by now.

Klawbster wrote:
Sorry to be a downer y'all. Awesomenauts was kind of an important part of my teen years I'd say and I feel really depressed lurking and seeing all this silence and barely-liked social media content. What the hell happened?

People are so afraid of hurting Ronimo's collective feelings that almost no one has the impetus to tell them to step their game up, and anyone that does is either automatically extremely toxic or simply not worth the community's time. I can't imagine how annoying it is for the people that report bugs to be met routinely with "we'll look into it" and then be left to rot in the sun like a year-old side of beef.

Something something spoonful of sugar.

_________________
Say no to SAM wrote:
Give this guy a duck for making such a good job with this thread

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:37 pm
Posts: 957
I wonder the same.

When it comes to full time employment, number of employees, how is the business going - that actually probably isnt a secret information at all. Anyone living in Netherlands probably has an access to their financials. I say probably because even though I live in EU area myself and also own a joint-stock corporation myself, I cant say for 100% that the laws for that are same in Every EU country. Here anyone can check the financials and number of employees from the country corporate database at least, and I would think the same goes there.

I personally think SS2 looks quite good, but also am very disappointed that their "new" game was just that port, instead of a new IP. They have so many nice artists and creativity when it comes to the details, that I wish they spent more on creating something new. It would be very good for their mental health too. I know, since I worked years on a triple A dev hell title... Dunnoh, maybe they are afraid and unsure themelves what to do? They want to desperately to stay "high quality" or something and spend more time on things than they should, instead of just getting wild and making a project of passion again...?

_________________
EgyptFalcon wrote:

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:41 pm
Posts: 133
They just have zero people working on nauts.

_________________
The Lord Protector wrote:
If the leaderboards were truly always designed to be strictly for the matchmaker's consideration only and not for players to climb, I'll film myself drinking several litres of condensed milk and PayPal you all £1,000


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:35 am
Posts: 2867
EgyptFalcon wrote:
They just have zero people working on nauts.

That's what I think too. On the streamsho they mentioned that the game isn't their focus of attention at the moment, and that bugs "have to be severe to be considered for a fix as minor bugs don't impact gameplay". Are you telling me that bugs like circuits of time not working at all or the max HP clunk achievement not unlocking being minor and not in need of a fix? Can we get some balance on the abysmal state of characters like dizzy, qi'tara, snork and commander rocket?

I feel like there's no point suggesting anything in balance and tactics until ronimo actually lets us know they're planning on doing something with the game. I'd make a thread for changes to rocket because he's one of the saddest mess up balance victims that's ever happened, but everyone is so vexxed by when rocket was #1 that they don't care he's even worse than yoolip.

_________________
extreme snares: dont you just get a bit wet when someone comes through the portal onto a max snare silence trap
niki: yes lmao


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 76
Sam! wrote:
EgyptFalcon wrote:
They just have zero people working on nauts.

That's what I think too. On the streamsho they mentioned that the game isn't their focus of attention at the moment, and that bugs "have to be severe to be considered for a fix as minor bugs don't impact gameplay". Are you telling me that bugs like circuits of time not working at all or the max HP clunk achievement not unlocking being minor and not in need of a fix? Can we get some balance on the abysmal state of characters like dizzy, qi'tara, snork and commander rocket?

I feel like there's no point suggesting anything in balance and tactics until ronimo actually lets us know they're planning on doing something with the game. I'd make a thread for changes to rocket because he's one of the saddest mess up balance victims that's ever happened, but everyone is so vexxed by when rocket was #1 that they don't care he's even worse than yoolip.


In what way are commander rocket, qi'tara and dizzy broken?
It sounds to me like you are complaining over balanced characters.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:37 pm
Posts: 957
Well, there is balance, and there is being able to make living. If 100 top players who havent spent a dollar to the game in past months complain about a balance of one naut/item, acting acording to their wishes probably sint going to give a living to 10 people anyway, and they just have to find their way elsewhere.They cant just be here adjusting percentages forever.

_________________
EgyptFalcon wrote:

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 2584
Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
The validity of a player's opinion is not a subscription service; it's not based on how many skins they have or have not purchased in the last few weeks. That's how a race to the bottom forms, and you don't want that.

Until Ronimo actually decides to discontinue support for Awesomenauts, which would require their communicating that, they've a responsibility to maintain it, as does any owner of any product.

_________________
Say no to SAM wrote:
Give this guy a duck for making such a good job with this thread

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm
Posts: 9468
Location: Washington, USA
The Lord Protector wrote:
Until Ronimo actually decides to discontinue support for Awesomenauts, which would require their communicating that, they've a responsibility to maintain it, as does any owner of any product.

No they're not. :huh:

You have this in writing somewhere? Some kind of contract?

_________________
Burningdillo wrote:


On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:35 am
Posts: 2867
Hero wrote:
In what way are commander rocket, qi'tara and dizzy broken?
It sounds to me like you are complaining over balanced characters.

Dizzy is considered #1 by a vast majority of players, just because she doesn't kill you in BS ways like sentry/max/yuri that feel out of your control doesn't mean she isn't busted. She has 100-0 kill power, insane collapse, the most evasive naut who can be wherever the hell she wants, and recently people have learn that blowfish nozzle just craps on gameflow by denying all push and letting Dizzy space areas off.. for a melee range character. The thing is you have to be GOOD at the character to exploit it, and yeah she rewards good play but at the same time it's nothing but a frustration for anyone to deal with because she plays her own game, not anyone elses.

Qi'tara has the highest damage output in the game with shift just almost oneshotting people at any stage of the game. If you wanna tell me why it's okay for shift to do 40 more damage than base explosion I'm all ears, not to mention the bug that causes it to hit twice quite often.

Rocket is crap and in the dumpster tiers, he's not good. The sad state of rocket is that he was once extremely fun to play being a mobile burst character, now he's been relegated to just spamming random stuff from afar and is unable to do any close range damage to contribute to fights. Yes, he was broken on release and needed nerfs, but his playstyle was totally changed for the worse - he's not fun at all to play now.

But what's the point even saying this stuff when the game isn't receiving any support? :derp:

_________________
extreme snares: dont you just get a bit wet when someone comes through the portal onto a max snare silence trap
niki: yes lmao


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next