Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: What's been going on at Ronimo...?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 pm 

I used to be checking Awesomenauts forum quite often, as well as playing it, but these days I've just lost interest. It's been a month or two since I last played Awesomenauts.

It's very discouraging when you know that the devs have given up on it. The playerbase is dwindling and this last month has seen the lowest playerbase Awesomenauts ever got.

The playerbase figures are not good at all. And unless Ronimo does something in the direction of Awesomenauts, I don't see it rising again.

It will never be completely dead I guess ; but we'll just play against the same players over and over again, until everyone gets bored out of it and move to other games.

If they had been developing a new IP instead of a port, I would have 100% supported them. But backing their Kickstarter for S&S2 on PC.. It's a bit of the port that no one asked for, but somehow in Ronimo office the decision was taken to do it. I'm even more bitter about it because they actually hyped us, and I was genuinely thinking they would surprise us with something original and creative.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:34 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Xelrog wrote:
No they're not. :huh:

You have this in writing somewhere? Some kind of contract?

Arbitrarily stopping development with no indication of this to a playerbase is a sure-fire way to have them doubting what's actually going on (see: this very conversation we're currently having). That sort of doubt is never good for a developer's image in the long run and highly irresponsible towards all those that have paid actual money towards the product's upkeep. Awesomenauts, like all ongoing MOBAs (indeed, games in general), is not a single-time purchase.

If they don't want to continue supporting Awesomenauts, then Ronimo needs to end the speculating and say it—not doing that is unhelpful in the long run, as you can see.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:19 pm 

Sam! wrote:
EgyptFalcon wrote:
They just have zero people working on nauts.

That's what I think too. On the streamsho they mentioned that the game isn't their focus of attention at the moment, and that bugs "have to be severe to be considered for a fix as minor bugs don't impact gameplay". Are you telling me that bugs like circuits of time not working at all or the max HP clunk achievement not unlocking being minor and not in need of a fix? Can we get some balance on the abysmal state of characters like dizzy, qi'tara, snork and commander rocket?

I feel like there's no point suggesting anything in balance and tactics until ronimo actually lets us know they're planning on doing something with the game. I'd make a thread for changes to rocket because he's one of the saddest mess up balance victims that's ever happened, but everyone is so vexxed by when rocket was #1 that they don't care he's even worse than yoolip.

Agreeing and +1ing with Sam here, they do need to focus more on 'nauts balance and tactics, as well as bugs. Dunno if I'd personally agree if rocket is still *that* bad, given he can often still have push and survivability on his own, but he is relatively difficult to synergize with and does have issues that need to be addressed. That's something for a balance topic tho, not discussion here.

Xelrog wrote:
The Lord Protector wrote:
Until Ronimo actually decides to discontinue support for Awesomenauts, which would require their communicating that, they've a responsibility to maintain it, as does any owner of any product.

No they're not. :huh:

You have this in writing somewhere? Some kind of contract?

Agreeing with Xel here, it's their own project that they design; they, in fact, don't technically owe the community anything. That being said, that *is* how you lose community support, by not communicating and processing their feedback; it is, though, not a requirement or responsibility by no means.

EgyptFalcon wrote:
They just have zero people working on nauts.

They're working and focusing on SnS2 right now, both to maintain finances (releasing on switch will include a lot of more casual players that enjoy these types of games and art styles) AND because they like developing this IP and these types of games. This *is* one of their passion projects, and just because it's not 'nauts doesn't mean we have to discredit the developers for their own choices. It would be nice to have both at once yes, but the community is going to have to be patient for now until their focus can shift back to 'Nauts improvements.

All hail Nekomian. :worship:

Devmon52 wrote:
Voltar: is a moving breadstick of death

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:25 pm 

Keep in mind that on top of all of this Swords & Soliders 2 is not their only IP they're working on atm. They confirmed on their AMA that there is a new IP that is getting some attention from the dev team. I feel like atm they may be spread a bit thin.

Talking with Niel recently has proved to be helpful in understanding the situation that they are coming to with Nauts. Which is that as of now they're at a bit of a crossroads. There are currently no plans to work on Nauts even with SnS 2 wrapping up. Whether or not they'll work on Nauts again is undecided although it's definitely in the cards. It'll depend on how well SnS 2 fairs.

To be completely honest I do worry slightly for the community of this game. We're well past the 3-4 patch dev cycle of 2018 (down from 1-2 month patch cycle for 2017), and I have no idea if or how long people are going to wait. Yes the game is in a decent state,but with some very basic and easy to fix bugs I don't see why they can't simply look at us for like a day to just do that at the very least I don't need 4.9 I just want a hotfix.

My faith in Ronimo has been wavering. I want them to succeed, but I just don't know HOW they're going to do it if NOTHING is planned for the community they've built through Nauts. It's scary to me as someone who's seen this community since the beginning hear my friends say that this game will probably never receive changes.

Touching back on Niel. I just sorta have a bad taste in my mouth in the end. When I asked about the state of the Nauts community and if he had any idea what to do with it. He simply stated that every game eventually reaches the point where it's simply done. I like and respect Niel, but man it stings to hear that from the person who will effectively do his best to make sure Ronimo's products sale. This community is important to me. I don't want it to die, but there's literally nothing that can be done other then waiting and watching to see if they do anything about it. (And I honestly think he's a great person, but if he reflects the attitude of the devs opinions on Nauts then that's where my concern comes from)

What bugs me most is that seemingly Ronimo DOES have a roadmap that they have simply not revealed to the public, and with no nauts changes in sights my worry becomes how long this roadmap accounts for? Should be not expect anything till 2019? Are we done? Because if so I just want it said. It's so frustrating to look at this game, and watch it slowly die as it's simply dragged underneath the carpet with no acknowledgement.

Ronimo needs to up their communication greatly. I can understand being busy and hell I may be acting entitled as hell but I just don't want this game to fizzle so fast only for them to attempt to commit some kind of necromancy in a half assed attempt to save the game. They need to come back in full force because this is NOT like the last time. With the original SnS 2 part of the dev team was still devoted to Nauts. We simply had smaller patches with longer waits, but there were still people doing something at the very least with the game. I felt like Ronimo was doing game development right that time. Not forgetting their fans, and working on a passion project of their own. I understand they're smaller then when they were making SnS 2 for the Wii U, but we couldn't even have some form of discussion? Rather then simply just waving it off every time it comes up in the streamisho?

And the worst part is I want Ronimo to succeed, but at the same time I worry that if SnS 2 succeeds too much that Nauts will even more likely to be put on the backburner. Hell the only thing that was even possibly promised was Helga Scoop once that game releases, but even then that was only a product of the failed kickstarter. So I'm unsure if that will even be upheld.

I just don't know with Ronimo, and that bothers me as someone who's doing as best as they possibly can to figure it out, and unfortunately the people that DO know what's going on are all under NDA so even they can't help shed light.

Maybes and possibles don't work forever, and for once I'd really appreciate it if Ronimo was decisive on the future of Awesomenauts.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:17 pm 

Seems like a pretty bad idea to abandon their most successful title that has survived for 6 years all of a sudden like that. They do realise that just because nauts is F2P doesn't mean they can't generate a lot of money from it through new skins right?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:39 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I agree with Morrow.

Sam! wrote:
Seems like a pretty bad idea to abandon their most successful title that has survived for 6 years all of a sudden like that. They do realise that just because nauts is F2P doesn't mean they can't generate a lot of money from it through new skins right?

I don't think just churning out skins is the best way forwards.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:31 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:

Sam! wrote:

I don't think just churning out skins is the best way forwards.

Tbf skins generate them a lot of revenue; the majority of active community buys the new ones when they're released, and they cost about as much as you'd pay for 'nauts back before F2P. Skins also sell faster than copies of 'nauts tbh, and now that it's F2P it's one of the only ways to generate revenue other than DLC / purchase packs of nauts or other microtransactions that are significantly less common.

I genuinely don't think Ronimo has announced an "end" to nauts at this point simply because: 1. They want to continue working on it, and 2. They honestly don't know if it's done. However, it probably isn't generating enough to keep the company afloat at this point so out of necessity they need to develop using their other IPs and release new things that have more potential for success. That's the only way I feel like at this point they're going to be able to continue development on *any* game, let alone 'Nauts.

On a second thought, they could always sell the entire 'Nauts brand to another company to develop, but I feel like this would be less likely as they genuinely enjoy making a game they've put their time and soul into. It's not perfect, but it's theirs.

Devmon52 wrote:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:11 pm 

It would be hugely crass for Ronimo effectively to take advantage of the community's generosity and just pump out skins to the detriment of everything else. There needs to be some level of developer maintenance of the actual game (i.e. patches) to justify any purchase, otherwise Ronimo might as well add a "donate" button to the main menu.

I appreciate that skins must form a decent chunk of revenue, but this community is not some altriustic piggybank—it's not unreasonable to expect Ronimo to continue supporting the game in exchange for hard-earned cash in the form of skin purchases.

Unless you're advocating for Ronimo to turn Awesomenauts into some short-lived cash grab?

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:11 pm 

TLP, almost every company in existence has this give and take model; it's not taking advantage of the community as those purchases are *willing* and consensual. It's not crass for them to try and use a business model on their consumers.

Nauts has always been a short-lived cash grab in its essence; I don't think anyone there at ronma expected it to last this long, and the only way they were able to sustain it is through these purchases and kickstarters. There have been active bugs for 3 - 4 years that go unfixed, with dozens of new skins and nauts being released during that time period. They support the game and maintain it, but they cannot do that to the degree most of the community wants it (i.e. constant hotfixes for bugs, or bug specific patches) without losing profit in the process (one particular momentum bug would require re-writing parts of the core engine, since it's physics related).

I think you're taking this to an extreme here; they try their best, and I believe they genuinely want their game to succeed yes, but we as the community can't have it *all* here. As a company, they have to prioritize things in order to keep afloat and ensure success, and sometimes those things don't always align with community requests.

If anything, I'm at least personally asking you to be a little more understanding in this situation; I'm not saying ronma shouldn't maintain their game, but they also don't have an obligation to do so as it's theirs, not the communities. This can be a difficult distinction to make at times since they do need community support, but there are a lot of behind the scenes things at the company we don't see that could be influencing them otherwise. At this point, we all just have to be patient; we can either wait, or simply leave the community and move on to something else.

Devmon52 wrote:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:51 am 

The real question is what happens if the new IP flops like S&S2 is liable to.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla: