Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: How to run Proun on Mac
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:42 am 

So I can see that there are many topics here that are asking for Mac support, so instead of replying to them all with relatively the same answer, I'll just make this new topic which will hopefully stay around long enough to get those people's attention.

Let me note this before I begin, there are many other options to use Windows executables on Mac, although this is one of the simplest ways I know of, and the only one I know enough about to make this about.

Wineskin
http://wineskin.doh123.com/
http://wineskin.doh123.com/tiki-index.php?page=Manual
FAQ wrote:
Wineskin is a tool used to make wrappers to run Windows software on Mac OS X. The wrappers are in the form of a normal Mac .app Application, which can be double clicked and ran just like a native app.

So, once you get Proun working on this, it's a simple and clean way to just start playing, as it'll look like any other application.
Getting things to work, however may be a different story, but don't worry, that's why my half educated self is here to help you!

I'll try to list this as plainly as possible, to avoid needing to answer questions.
  1. Start up Wineskin Winery.app
    If you do not already have this, please go get it by clicking on the link at the top of this post.
    Now yours may not look like this, as in, there's nothing here! It might ask you to update the first time you run this, and you should say yes. It's a good idea to have the latest version of this.
  2. You should probably go ahead and update the Wrapper if it tells you there's an update available as well.
  3. Now because you just got this, you should have no engines, so you should get one, by clicking the button with a plus sign. Make sure you're at the latest one, and click "Download and Install"
  4. Once that's through, you're ready to start the fun part, make sure you have the engine selected, and then click on "Create New Blank Wrapper".
    Lets go ahead and name this "Proun".
  5. That shouldn't take long, but when it's done, it should show you a dialogue asking you if you want to view it in finder, so go ahead and do that.
  6. Opening Proun.app should bring up this. Click on "Install Windows Software" and go find "Proun Installer.exe" (Go download it if you haven't already...)
  7. Continue the installation as normal, but you might want to uncheck desktop shortcuts and Start Menu shortcuts. (Next, next, next, next.... Finish.)
  8. Once you're done installing, you should get this, look for Proun.exe, as I have here, and press OK.
  9. (Optional) Before you continue on, if you go to "Set Screen Options" from the Wineskin.app menu, and check "Decorate windows", windows won't look as... windowey, and more Mac.
  10. Close everything and start up Proun.app. Enjoy your Proun
    In order to see where Proun is installed exactly, or just to get back to Wineskin.app, right click Proun.app and select Show Package Contents.

If you still have troubles after this, I'll try my best to help, but I can't guarantee my usefulness past this.

Post subject: Re: How to run Proun on Mac
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:00 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Awesome explanation, thanks! 8-)

Post subject: Re: How to run Proun on Mac
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:14 am 

An easier way for users who don't want to go through all the stuff just to get this to work would be simply handing out the fresh Proun.app that I just made, but then it would still need to be updated as the game gets more features or whatever you want to add, so I figure explaining this all would be better long term.

For anyone that can't for whatever reason get Wineskin working, there's also Parallels, Virtualbox, BootCamp.... And then some others that I'm totally neglecting to mention, because I don't feel like googling anymore.