Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: What's the best-looking map and why?
 Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:56 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
My potato did not "survive".

It is now a baked potato.

It died so hard, it spontaneously generated butter.

Melted. Butter.

On-topic: something something lore is flimsy something words words Starstorm Station.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:41 am 

This game has art? Usually I'm too busy punching people to notice. :fist:

Awesomenauts level art is like most modern movie soundtracks: designed such that, ideally, you won't consciously realize it's there.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 am 

Xelrog wrote:
This game has art? Usually I'm too busy punching people to notice. :fist:

That's the main reason the game has so many bad players as well. People who notice that the overall game design is top notch despite it being... underrated.

TBH it's the only reason I'm still in. Having zero progress in a game I don't like visually would be too dumb even for me :p

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 am 

i'm not really attached to this game's aesthetic at all (i dislike many of its characters and most of its writing) but starstorm has always been the one thing that always pleases me
new clunk is pretty good too

the older assets in this game all feel really dated and ugly compared to the shiniest, newest stuff

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:12 pm 

It sucks that starstorm is the most aesthetically polished map, yet is the absolute worst map ever made. I really like aig's theme and design though, the background is very detailed in motion and the water lilies on bottom lane are really nice. If aig got a graphics polish update it'd easily be the best, and it's also a fun map to play on.

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:07 pm 

Morrowsaw wrote:
Also I liked actually seeing things and not pixels when I zoomed in on the maps at least put the links here so I can look at the nice pictures while Lord Protector's Potato survives.

Omg, FINE. Now everyone should be happy... RIGHT?! :rocco:

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:16 pm 

Hey Luckytime!

Where did you get that large version of Starstorm Station? The other ones were made by Nodja to use on the Wiki, but he stopped playing nauts or interacting with the community before Starstorm was out, so he didn't make a version for it.

Could I get a copy and put it on the Wiki? Max size, (I can just resize it later).
PM it me if you can. :)

EDIT: nvm, I see you already uploaded it to the wiki on your own. Thank you very much for your help!

we're giving this thread too much attention for its quality

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:01 pm 

rpvarela wrote:
EDIT: nvm, I see you already uploaded it to the wiki on your own. Thank you very much for your help!

For sure! I think Nodja was using some kind of hax to get those images so I couldn't get it quite as big without stitching together a number of frames. (I could, but it would look really ugly) Thanks for all your hard work on the wiki!

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:01 pm 

Luckytime wrote:
For sure! I think Nodja was using some kind of hax to get those images so I couldn't get it quite as big without stitching together a number of frames. (I could, but it would look really ugly) Thanks for all your hard work on the wiki!

Yeah, it was a zoom out crazy hack.

we're giving this thread too much attention for its quality

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 pm 

Aigui is my favorite as well, the color reminds me of dusk and the lighting all over the place makes the visuals shine literally, its clean, has a lot of clarity with its style, and that droppod area. damn I love the droppod area.

I personally Enjoy starstorm but only for the exterior, the interior is really detailed and the textures are impressive but its kind of distractive, some of the details like the fake invis areas under the turrets make no sense to me, so it really just comes down to how pretty the space in the exterior of the base looks like. it also stands out weirdly when compared to a lot of the older artwork from like 2012 or 2013 so that's a problem to me.

I think the idea is that the stages need to be creative with their colors.
No green grass, no blue skies. sorona is unexpected but i'm not a fan of its color pallete, it just looks boring to me even if the sky is kinda nice.

like you said, thematically ribbit is messy and I think its because there was a lack of clarity as to how everything bellow the green area had to be colored, plus the turrets make the place look kinda like a christmas tree, it could use some details of orange and purple here and there, maybe from the water, from plants, lighting etc. (kinda like the shining flowers you have in your map if i'm not mistaken)

As for fan made maps. one map which I liked despite the somewhat one dimensional coloring is Vulcanion (or something like that was its name), I haven't checked it since its first version but its got good lighting, good selection for the colors used and thematically its clear and straight to the point, its nowhere near as detailed as the official maps from what I remember, but its good!

I'll just end this by saying that this discussion is pretty fun.

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

Jas123c wrote:
kathy wrote:
muncher.gif

this is a very serious question, please help :(