Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Russian Forum Spammer
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:47 am 

Where are the mods? Why hasn't this spammer been banned and/or the posts taken down?

If the leaderboards were truly always designed to be strictly for the matchmaker's consideration only and not for players to climb, I'll film myself drinking several litres of condensed milk and PayPal you all £1,000

Post subject: Re: Russian Forum Spammer
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:23 am 
Adminaut

because mods basically don't exist on these forums anymore

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 pm 

it really doesn't help that ronimo has a "let's have literally no barriers to entry so angry people can quickly make accounts and complain/get help" mentality

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:46 am 

There were people who were willing to be the mods to manage the bots during NA time (Neko tried a bunch, but was personally denied because they were "unsuitable"), but I talked to Niel about it privately, and the short version of it is this.

There are no plans to add any additional mods to the forums because of the current activity level, and this is extremely unlikely to change. Mods should not be appointed just to deal with bots, and they see no issue with the bots being resolved during EU time.

So it's not gonna change much if at all unfortunately.

I don't agree with it, but it's on them to decide stuff like this.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:59 am 
Adminaut

I mean if Nekomian still visits here and wants to give being the only mod a try he's free to do so. The only thing you gotta do is delete 20+ pages of spambots by yourself and literally nothing else at this point.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:26 am 
Ronimo Team Member

What Morrowsaw said is correct.

Adding to that: Bots are deleted at least once a day during EU times. Currently we're ok with that.

Updating a 10+ year old forum site to prevent more bots would require resources. Currently we're allocating all resources towards our new IP so bot prevention on forum is very low on the priority list.

Also in short: Adding new mods for the purpose of quicker bot deletion response time is not a good reason to add new mods, IMO. Regardless of how willing someone is to help out. This something we should do better on our end but as aforementioned, it's very low on the priority list.

We apologise that non-EU forum browsers will have to deal with bots on the forum but that's unfortunately not going to change anytime soon.

In the meantime, feel free to PM me on our Discord and link me the message the bot sent so I can delete it as soon as I see it. discord.gg/ronimo

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:10 pm 
Adminaut

On one hand, I honestly do understand that. This forum is very inactive and probably not worth resources unless it gains a spike of popularity again from a new game release or something.

On the other hand, it's really draining to be the only one deleting bots for most of the day. I know you delete bots sometimes Neil but if you look at the moderator logs, you'll see my name filling up most of the pages, largely entirely on my own.

I don't have the time or energy to constantly be checking back on these inactive forums to look for bots anymore, but at the same time I'll feel bad if I stop because then they'll go for long periods with massive spambot clutter and that'll be really inconvenient for people that do still visit.

At this point I'd honestly recommend that once Rexic's art contest finishes up, user creation on these forums should probably be shut down until something that could possibly create a new surge of users comes along. I've seen other forums use this to counter spambots and given there doesn't seem to be many people looking to create an account here these days outside of Rexic's contest, it'd probably be the best course of action.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:05 am 
Ronimo Team Member

We really appreciate you deleting bots on the forums. But please don't feel obligated to do this, especially if it's draining! Also, I would advise to just check the forum maximum once a day as it's (imo) completely unnecessary to increase response times for bot removal. I check once a day on most days to delete bots and between the few semi-active mods here, that's more than sufficient to do removal at least once every 24h. And like I said, it shouldn't be a mod's job to remove bots to begin with.

I'll bring up your suggestion with other Ronis :)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:10 am 
Adminaut

Hm, alright if you say so. I'll check less frequently.