Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: [Linux] Logitech F710 gamepad not working correctly
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:46 pm 

Symptoms:
  • the F710 gamepad is not recognized as X360 controller. Instead of A, B, X, Y, etc. the controller configuration shows only Btn 1, Btn 2, etc.
  • the D-pad doesn't work for directions in the menu. I configured it to issue the commands and taunt ingame, but under Windows I can still navigate the menu or the shop using the D-pad, not under Linux
  • the left analog stick has a very low resolution. For example, when I play Raelynn and use snipe, I can only aim in what feels like 10 degree steps. (This actually is the most annoying sympton, because I pwn with Raelynn under Windows, but suck under Linux, due to not hitting enemies.)
More information:
I just installed version 0.8.5 of xboxdrv, which claims to support the F710. No change in behavior.
But: I just played FEZ under Linux, and here everything seems fine. I see A, B, X, Y, etc., and the D-pad does the same as the left analog stick, just not analog.

Any ideas? Any more infos needed? I really can't play Raelynn under Linux anymore :(

My system:
Ubuntu 12.04.3 precise, 64bit

Post subject: Re: [Linux] Logitech F710 gamepad not working correctly
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:56 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Sentry wrote:
the F710 gamepad is not recognized as X360 controller. Instead of A, B, X, Y, etc. the controller configuration shows only Btn 1, Btn 2, etc.

We only support the X360 controller specifically on Windows. On all other platforms, we just consider it a normal controller. What you are mentioning is simply a feature the game does not have on Linux.

Quote:
the D-pad doesn't work for directions in the menu. I configured it to issue the commands and taunt ingame, but under Windows I can still navigate the menu or the shop using the D-pad, not under Linux

Do you mean that in the control configuration menu on Linux, you can assign the DPad fine, but as soon as you get into the game, it doesn't react? That would be surprising, since the control configuration menu uses the same code to read the DPad as the actual gameplay. Or do you mean something else?

Quote:
the left analog stick has a very low resolution. For example, when I play Raelynn and use snipe, I can only aim in what feels like 10 degree steps. (This actually is the most annoying sympton, because I pwn with Raelynn under Windows, but suck under Linux, due to not hitting enemies.)

I think what you are referring to is that all controllers (except the X360 controller on Windows) in Awesomenauts snap to 90 degree angles when near them. So for example the range of 80 to 100 degrees snaps to 90 degrees. In the areas in between (for example 10 to 80 degrees) you can aim freely without any snapping. Is this indeed what you are referring to?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:46 pm 

Joost wrote:
We only support the X360 controller specifically on Windows. On all other platforms, we just consider it a normal controller. What you are mentioning is simply a feature the game does not have on Linux.

That's a shame. Is there any possibility that you will add support for X360 controllers on Linux? You have money now from the Kickstarter campaign ;)

Joost wrote:
Quote:
the D-pad doesn't work for directions in the menu. I configured it to issue the commands and taunt ingame, but under Windows I can still navigate the menu or the shop using the D-pad, not under Linux

Do you mean that in the control configuration menu on Linux, you can assign the DPad fine, but as soon as you get into the game, it doesn't react? That would be surprising, since the control configuration menu uses the same code to read the DPad as the actual gameplay. Or do you mean something else?

No, I mean that once I've configured them for taunt, they don't work for menu navigation anymore. When in the shopping menu, I rather use the DPad for navigation, because the analog stick is not as accurate and when I want to buy something really fast, I often end up buying something completely different. It would be nice if the DPad would work for navigation in shops no matter what is was assigned to outside of that, i.e. taunting and commands.

Joost wrote:
I think what you are referring to is that all controllers (except the X360 controller on Windows) in Awesomenauts snap to 90 degree angles when near them. So for example the range of 80 to 100 degrees snaps to 90 degrees. In the areas in between (for example 10 to 80 degrees) you can aim freely without any snapping. Is this indeed what you are referring to?

Yes, that is specifically my problem. I had the feeling that it is a problem for the complete range of angles, but that might be wrong. The 95 or 85 degree angles are what annoy me most.

As a fellow programmer I understand that adding support for X360 controls on Linux is not just a "minor feature that could be done in a day", but it would be really nice to have it. What are the chances of seeing this in the near future?

Thanks for the quick reply, btw :)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:02 am 

I'm using an xbox 360 wireless controller and it works just fine, although you may have to remap yours (fortunately you can remap all buttons!)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:18 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

I think the problem with the taunts is that if you assign the same buttons for taunts, then the game doesn't know whether you want to taunt or navigate. Does the game automatically unassign the menu buttons when you assign the taunt buttons? What happens when you assign the same buttons to both?

The rounding issue when the stick is near the 90 degrees angles is a problem on Mac and Windows as well, on all controllers except for the X360 controller on Windows. We need to fix this at some point, but the fix is rather nasty unfortunately, so I don't know if/when we will come around to that.

As for specific 360-controller support on Linux: we have no plans for this, as the number of players on Linux is extremely low (1% of our playerbase at most). Also because the only thing it would add, is seeing the correct icons. Functionally it wouldn't add anything.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:21 pm 

I just found out: I didn't assign the taunt/commands and I also can't. When I want to assign those commands to button, pressings the DPad on my controller has no response whatsoever.

As for the X360 controller under Linux: I don't care that much whether the buttons are displayed as A, B, ... or Btn 1, etc. It would be nice to have, but not necessary. What annoys me is the rounding issue.
(I thought the rounding issue was connected to the X360 issue?)

I'd be happy if my critique would be added to your issue tracker, even with lowest priority. If some of your developers are like me, at some point someone wants to procrastinate and will implement it ;)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:06 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Can you assign other joystick buttons to taunts? And can you assign dpad buttons to other things than taunts?

As for the aiming: this problem is not platform-specific and it already is on our list, but not with a high priority...

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:12 pm 

Oh, wow, it's been over a year. I completely forgot about this issue. So:

Yes, I could assign the taunts to the D-Pad. Either I was blind or it wasn't there before. Thanks

As for the other issue, that's a shame, because I really can't play under Linux like this. I switched to Skree now and I always end up throwing my blade to the wrong side, because when I let go of the stick, it snaps back and that is enough to make him aim in the opposite direction :(

btw: Is there some kind of subscription option in this forum that I've missed?