Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Clunk explode options
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:29 pm 

This will sound dumb. It probably is. I'm just curious if anyone's seen success with it before.

Right now clunk can piggy into double damage reduction for a 0 damage explode on drop. Follow this up with shield and cooldown, and clunks self damage nuke becomes a 7.5 second shield/area denial ability. Cap it with health increase/double damage bite, your choice of AA, and health/shield utility, and it feels like clunk should become a zoning nightmare. My limited experience so far had me laughing off a 1v1 ksenia chase across the map.

I realize this build sacrifices classic clunk explode damage and snarebite, but it feels like it offers something different.

Am I completely off my rocker?

Post subject: Re: Clunk explode options
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:08 pm 

to retain the aspect of "never kick me out of lane" replace one bite dmg upgrade with multihose.

And then, you'll be impossible to kick out of the lane.

Discord français d'awesomenauts

Dominik305 wrote:
people who only play meta in any game should be gunned down at the street and skinned alive

CraftedNightmare wrote:
i'm trying to enjoy this *
Doppelganger wrote:
where's my popcorn bag

_olaffff wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:40 am 

Oh * I need to play like this once

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:40 pm 

Funny you make this thread, I've been rushing this build a lot lately. It's really wonderful, and makes explode an active, spammable ability. I like this more than hoarding explode for JUST THE RIGHT MOMENT.

Here's some applications I've figured out:
Great for droid clears esp early game.
screws over raelynn's snipe.
Safely drop through the fire and flames on AI to divebomb enemies when they think theyre safe.
Pop it after a skolldir throw to survive.
Kill opponents that think their turrets will deter you.
Brawling in general after you pop explode. Enemies will go in on you thinking they have a 13-second window. They can be punished for this.

Overall just emphasizes his rank role. He is the OG tank naut, so it just works in lots of ways. It's a very exciting way to play Clunk, and spices him up quite a bit. Glad im not the only one doing this lol.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:55 pm 

This thread was supposed to be full of clunk mains telling me why this doesn't work. Stop being supportive of me. :fist:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:55 pm 

Snare is still great, though. 90% of the time, it's worth the investment. A good bite row might look like snare, extra max hp, and then either heal over time or multibite.

But extra hp is very synergistic with this build. You're right about that one.

Have you done any more experimenting with this style? I played a game today with it. I won, but I forgot to get any extra hp, and I really felt it.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:19 pm 

Piggy into 0 damage explode is currently what I've done the last few games. From there, multi bite, AA aoe, and explode cooldown are all pretty important. I'm not sure yet what is best, or if multi bite is actually the right approach over straight damage.

For team synergy I may try running snare with multi bite, but it's tough to decide when to buy health. Clunk isn't cheap by any means.

I think multi bite and AA aoe are the first upgrades to get after 0 damage explode, followed by cooldown and health ramp. Pick up shielding when appropriate, with AA upgrades closing out.

Clunk's base AA is pretty great for area discouragement once you've got aoe. Between that, double healing, and free explodes, you can pretty solidly dominate a lane. Cooldown, health, and shield purchases allow you to be more aggressive (since you don't have the explode damage to straight up kill, but you can instead just endure). Fleshing out the aa at the end just helps you end the game.

It's more of a "you can't ignore me" build than a "I'm going to kill you" classic build. Certainly not a carry build, but a nice sturdy play style.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:21 am 

Never tried your start with damage reduction, but the only clunk build i use and have ever had fun with is the cd/shield + multi/dmg bite variety. To be honest the lifesteal that you get from multibite with both dmg upgrades has always been pretty redonkulous; the giving-up-snare issue though. Fun watching as you hijack people's instincts of gtfo'ing when youre about to tickle them with your explode.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:38 am 
Adminaut

redria7 wrote:
This thread was supposed to be full of clunk mains telling me why this doesn't work. Stop being supportive of me. :fist:

5:38 PM - Fish: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50303
5:38 PM - Fish: is this any good
5:38 PM - Lunk: No

Character Hitbox Thread (Rocket added)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:25 pm 

Yeah, as a fellow Clunk main, I don't see this ever contributing meaningfully to a team. :shrug:

I experimented with exactly these kinds of builds before, specifically back when Clunk had double missiles on his AA and could be built for AA while still being somewhat okay. Even then, this defensive Explode row was the last row to be built, not the first.

Clunk is a damage dealer character. That's his contribution to the game. If he's not dealing damage, what's he contributing? He can stand there and tank stuff, but that's not enough to counteract him not dealing damage. And really, you can do that much just by building HP, not sacrificing your Explode row. Health pills and extra health on bite will get the same result, cheaper, and for fewer upgrade slots--you only sacrifice one bite slot.

Clunk's too slow to be an initiator. If you want the slow on explode to help your teammates land their abilities, you would still need to drop in on enemies from above in order to get the initiation off... or get an initiation for your initiation, which defeats the purpose.

Clunk's standard AA is all the zoning you need, IMO.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla: