Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: SoloQing with Sentry
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 am 

What? I'd still cap it at 1.5sec max CC (guess I could have specified, but I thought it would be obvious because otherwise it wouldn't really be a nerf, lol). Also I don't agree with your notions of 'bad design' at all. You make it seem like players are actively counting/tracking the seconds of CC while in fact there are many situations (which I described) when they don't. Do you really think anyone is gonna be "oh, only 1.4 seconds of slow remaining!". They won't, they try to escape and possibly spam tap their ability which is on cooldown.

~ Embrace your dreams.

Last edited by Zold on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 pm 

Most players aren't exactly counting CC duration, but they get the generally jist of them and pick up how they should be playing with/against them if it works consistently. For example, most players don't count the exact duration of set up CC in any game such as Kumbhakarna ult in SMITE with a 2.2 second banish duration or Zeratul void prison in HotS with 4 seconds banish max. You cannot hurt these targets until the duration has ended but anyone in the top 80% players of the game can time their abilities well enough to follow up off of them without giving the enemy much time to react.

This is essentially a sort of "player instinct" which is what players use to time abilities, they don't count the 2.2/4 seconds, they know them. I'm able to use these comparisons because player instinct is in basically every multiplayer game ever, and in MOBAs it is consistent across the board that players will pick up certain timings and react to them consistently without really counting them down.

A giant team wide CC varying around in duration numbers messes with player instinct in a very negative manner. And yes the situations you described exist but they are bad/not relevant comparisons and are definitely not ones we should be striving to replicate. Which for some reason you seem it ignore when I point it out and just say "I don't agree". I guess I'd also think these ideas are good design if I just tunnel vision on counter points.

Zold wrote:
(guess I could have specified, but I thought it would be obvious because otherwise it wouldn't really be a nerf, lol)

At this point I'm just cynical, I've heard stupider things from this community.

JoJodestructor19 wrote:
can confirm. We're all just a bunch of alts from the same guy :thumb:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:35 pm 

I don't ignore it, I just think your arguments don't make any sense for the reasons I've already mentioned. Everything you speak of is already in the game and I don't see any problems coming from it. You call these situations bad whereas I don't consider them to be bad at all. It comes down to opinions and preferences whether you like a dynamic CC or not.

Just like there are examples of most things, games like Smash have a lot of dynamic CC values mostly found in knockback. It's a concept that's used in many existing games and not something 'new'. If you don't like it that's fine, but it's far from an unworkable mechanic. Just like you get used to static values, you can also get used to dynamic values, which is what we can see happening with "player instinct" in Smash.

In either case, you think it would be too hard / uncomfortable to get used to a dynamic CC whereas I think it won't be a problem. I don't think we're gonna agree on this one, eh?

~ Embrace your dreams.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:02 pm 

You could just easily rectify the problem while balancing by introducing new visuals. Chucho sticky/dizzy bomb has a visible timer around the edge of the circle which tells people when it's going to blow up, so that even if you messed with balance on it, people would still clearly be able to see the time. You can add the same circle timer to BHS to show people when it's going to end.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:32 pm 

i think u guys didnt divide by asymptote or something sentry still dumb

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:27 am 

wat

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:54 am 

Gameinsky wrote:
wat

This explains it: