Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Playing professionally
 Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:27 pm 

Hello.

What do you think is the future of Awesomenauts, regarding ranked play? Will there be changes to the current ranking system? Will there ever be enough players to consider Awesomenauts as an esport? (like DOTA, LoL, Hearthstone etc.)

Post subject: Re: Playing professionally
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:29 pm 

Hey there,

first of all. Nauts is a Moba so technically it is already an eSport (game). eSport just bundles competitive online gaming as a word. Since MOBAs are designed to be copetitive play there is not only the eSports title in it, but also ranked. Every game is ranked. You get ranks and points for everything you do in normal games. Custom games are normal games in e.G. LoL or Smite. Also, normal Naut games are ranked games.

There are not a lot of players here so I doubt there will be much of a change to the ranked system, also it worked for 4 years now (more or less).

But to answer "will there ever be enough players to consider awesomenauts as [an alternative to other MOBAs with pricemoney and huge halls for tourneys].

A: As it stands right now? No. Its base design is pretty nieche and people are often too scared to learn a new competitive game when there are so many DotA clones out there.
In future? Maybe. F2P made the game way more open for new people and more people mean more publicity, which in the end will give more attention to competitive play and tourneys.

Maarten wrote:
Dr. DaMan wrote:
Maarten wrote:
We'll think about also muting the team commands.

Meanwhile, I'll be thinking about punching a cat

Please don't punch a cat.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm 

To give ya'll an idea of what Awesomenauts needs to do to get to a more prominent position in the esports hierarchy, here's a listing of esport tiers by esportsobserver. I'm not sure sort of reputation they have in the esports world, but it's their way or objectively measuring esports' into tiers. And even they admit it's not a perfect formula.

https://esportsobserver.com/esports-games-tiers/

They apparently update it January of every year, so the above tier list is 7 months old.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 pm 

It's really easy to make a game with 10k active players have a comp scene if you're competent enough to have a well-produced stream (not casted by players who lack knowledge in the game AND have bad voices for casting) airing regularly alongside a league.

Cash prizes would help a lot, and I think they're a very effective form of marketing, but I care less about "playing professionally" and more about "playing a fun video game"

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:57 pm 

omnimpotent wrote:
It's really easy to make a game with 10k active players have a comp scene if you're competent enough to have a well-produced stream (not casted by players who lack knowledge in the game AND have bad voices for casting) airing regularly alongside a league.

Cash prizes would help a lot, and I think they're a very effective form of marketing, but I care less about "playing professionally" and more about "playing a fun video game"

Agreed w/ your latter sentiment fo sho. ...but are you implying Awesomenauts has 10k active players?