Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: New modding option in beta: Switch Team!
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the modders come up with for this new feature! :ix: Let me know any issues you encounter so that I can try to fix them during the beta.

Joost wrote:
Update 4.2 Beta 1
21-6-2017

Modding
-Added a new option to AffectAreas to change a player’s team. This can for example be used to make mods where six players are in a single team or where you need to switch team during the mod. It is also possible to play local versus this way if only one of the local players switches team. This is an experimental feature that probably has a lot of issues, use at your own risk. For example, the deathtimers are disabled once this is used and switching to a team that doesn’t have graphics for the current class produces broken graphics (like a neutral team Lonestar). This feature might even be removed in the final release of 4.2 if we deem it too risky for final release.

Post subject: Re: New modding option in beta: Switch Team!
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:25 pm 

That's really great! I'm currently trying to make it works and I'll see if I can do anything with it.
(But it just crashed my game like 4 times)

Replay finder

More tools here!

:tongue: :party:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:16 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Ugh, crashed? :chucho: Could you give me repro steps on how to make it crash, or give me a map that crashes when the switch is applied?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:23 pm 

Apparently it does crash only on my test map: (Map + crash logs) (played on the Awesomenauts gamemode)
You can hear the character dying just before the crash. It happens with any affectArea that have the SwitchToTeam enabled (only if the player isn't in the same team as the target team)

One issue I found in SwitchToTeam that isn't present in SwitchToClass is the fact that the game try to keep team of 3v3 on normal Awesomenauts so when you switch someone from TEAM_ZERO to TEAM_ONE it will remove one of the bot in TEAM_ONE and spawn a new one in TEAM_ZERO. I'll try to test this with humans player to see what happen.

Otherwise it seems to work fine (with the same issues as SwitchToClass)

Replay finder

More tools here!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:07 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

I've download your map and will look into that crash now, thanks for uploading. :ayla:

As for the bots filling up teams: I had already looked into that and I don't think there's any truly neat solution to that. When teamswitching there's always something weird somewhere, since the whole point of those bots is to fill the teams to 3 people per team. I think you should just turn off the automatic bots in Custom Games Settings when using switchTeam.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:19 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

I can't reproduce the crash with your map. I see only one AffectArea that switches team, somewhere outside the reachable area. When I drag that to a spot I can reach and walk into it, I change team and no crash happens.

Looking at your crashdump it seems like you had a WriteToTextBox AI block running when that crash happened, is that possible? I don't see any of the standard AIs in Awesomenauts using that particular block, so I think that must have been a custom AI then?

I tried adding a WriteToTextBox block to all AIs in Awesomenauts :jimmy: and that way I can indeed easily reproduce a crash when using switchTeam, so I'm looking for a fix for that one now.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:05 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

The crash with WriteToTextbox has been fixed! The fix will go live in beta 2 somewhere next week. :ayla:

Let me know if you have any further crashes in the modding tools.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 am 

Oh so it was the WriteToTextBox... Thanks for fixing the crash! As far as I have tested everything else is working properly.

Replay finder

More tools here!