Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: PUGrnauts Mumble Server! (Updated 5-5-14)
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:13 pm 

Who are the PUGrnauts?

A group of individuals seeking more organized play on Steam, or groups of 3 who are just tired of playing against bots non-stop. These people will form groups of 6 which divide into teams of 3, for a more organized play experience. PUGs(Pick Up Game) are a great way to meet people who are interested in exploring organized play, without committing to a clan or tournament. You join the group, decide how the teams will be divided, and enjoy play without worrying about the person you are playing with being entirely too new to the game. Meet new players, learn more about the game, compete, socialize, etc.

Cool, where do I sign up

Participating with the PUGrnauts is as simple as using the english language. The PUGrnauts Mumble Server is open and free to use for anyone within the Awesomenauts community. Just open up Mumble, and use the connection information found below to join up and start PUGing. Bring a couple friends, or just log on randomly and idle until some more people show up.

Mumble? What? You'll have to speak up.

Mumble is an open-source, free voice chat client similar to Ventrilo/Teamspeak. It was made by gamers, for gamers. It features quality voice codecs, low latency, push-to-talk functionality, and other great gamer-oriented features. Its free for anyone to download and use, host their own servers for, or you can also pay for your own server. I have owned my Mumble server for the last year and will continue to do so, and will be happy to bump up the number of slots available if necessary(currently 50).

Download Mumble: http://mumble.sourceforge.net//
Connection Information:
Label: PUGrnauts or whatever you want
Address: cole.mumble.com
Port: 8850

Competitive Team Update

With the APL winding up for ladders and tournaments, I'd also like to welcome any team of 3 or more people who plan on participating in Competitive Play to message me or Niko if interested in their own private channel. Just let us know the team name, and the password you would like. Currently we are host to 5 different teams, all who will be participating in upcomming league play. The PUGrnauts goal is to support and grow the competitive scene, and we have seen success in this effort already. Soon enough, it can also be used as a hub for those teams to play in matches and scrims as you can simply see which teams are currently online and playing and toss them a message asking if they'd like to play.

Steam Community Group Update

Want to see more people join the PUGrnauts? Well, not everyone comes to these forums, so now you can invite your friends with the PUGrnauts Steam Community Group. Open for anyone to join, so join up and then invite more people to connect.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pugrnauts

Help Keep the PUGrnauts Running! Donate!

Want to help make sure the PUGrnauts Mumble Server is there for you and your friends to play? Great! Simply click here to donate. Donations will be used to pay for the $144 yearly expense for the currently 50 slot server. Any excess amount beyond this will go towards additional years of service or slot expansions as the community grows.

We now can also accept Bitcoin donations @ 16wm444hSuQmjxTgj8kQejfYVA7SWNVNEm

Update: 03/11/13

Special thanks to the winners of the APL2 tournament, as each of them have made a donation that quite mysteriously mirrors the amount of money that they won from the tournament. Its really fantastic to see the competitive community thriving, and these types of acts are what push it forward further.

Thank You List:
-NerfPlz: MrEsc, Clever Girl, NerfPyro
-3HM: King.Richard, Mr.POW!, Raork, Muzzo
-AWFUL: Niko, BFIR, Sam

Update: 04/28/13

Thanks to the generous donations from the Awesomenauts community(PUGrnauts Mumble Regulars, APL staff and winners, as well as the Ronimo Staff), we have not only extended the service for another year, but we also increased the amount of available slots for the server to 80. I'm really happy to see something like this grow and attract more players interested in playing some 'nauts.

Again, much appreciation to those who contributed and I'm looking forward to the day when we need to bump the slots up again!

Update: 05/05/2014

Been a while since I've posted any kind of update, but I think we are overdue, so here goes!

Team Channel Cleanup

Its still spring, and its time for spring cleaning. We've had a lot of changes happen in the community, and we have seen a lot of teams transition in and out of play. Because of this, I'd like to reduce the number of abandoned channels. I could use your help with this! If you use your channel, let me know! If you don't use your channel anymore, let me know! Over the next month or so I will be evaluating the usage of these private channels and deleting those that are no longer needed to make room for future expansion. Just shoot me a message on the forums, or Steam!

Mumble Renewal Upcoming

Our yearly renewal is rapidly approaching, and we are about $140 away from being able to pay for the server at its current slot capacity(100 users) for another year. The reality is, I will be picking up the tab regardless of how much money lands in the PUGrnauts Donation Paypal. However, if you find value in this server and would like to help out, don't hesitate to click here to make your contribution.

Team Awful has been on vacation for a year and a half..let it go, bro.

Last edited by coleykun on Tue May 06, 2014 5:06 am, edited 16 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Organized Play - Introducing the PUGrnauts Mumble Server
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:54 pm 

Thanks. Downloading Mumble now.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:03 pm 

Me and my friend Catguy19 have now joined your mumble group. We were looking for someone to play with as we were mostly rolling everyone we fought on the pubs. Yeah...
We got tired of it

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:05 pm 

Been wanting something like this. Thanks for setting it up.
Looking forward to some organized matches, those are always much more exciting and fun.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:42 pm 

Need more people.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:47 pm 

Heegu wrote:
Need more people.

Definitely agreed. I know you are one of the highly skilled players of the game, so invite more of your friends. I'd also like to encourage those that are currently using skype to communicate with 2 or 3 friends to try switch over to the PUGrnauts Mumble Server. In honesty, it can be slightly more difficult to get up and running on Mumble as Skype is made for Average Joe and Mumble is made for Average Gamer. The pay off is the increase in the "gene" pool. The more people that habitually use the PUGrnauts Mumble, the more people will stay and idle there. If people log on and see no one, they leave. If there are 4 or 5 people playing, they will stick around. All it takes is a few people willing to give up a bit of their PC's memory and idle as often as possible, and play even more than that.

In other news, after speaking with BrutalSage we will have additional communication being spread about the PUGrnauts Mumble server, which should get us some more attention. These communications are being shared through the Awesomenauts Community Steam group, as well as the GATL website.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:04 pm 

I'll have to download mumble apparently, but I'd love to get into a more competitive scene for this game. I feel it has loads of potential for that. I also have a fair amount of people who play with me I can probably bring along with me, so there's that.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:26 am 

Downloading mumble and will be joining shortly :D

I'll try and get some friends to join too :)

edit:
I've joined as WNxBen1601 but not sure what to do now :P

'I have the TECHNOLOGY!'- Voltar

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:42 pm 

GentlemanCrab wrote:
Downloading mumble and will be joining shortly :D

I'll try and get some friends to join too :)

edit:
I've joined as WNxBen1601 but not sure what to do now :P

Thanks for joining up. We're still in our infancy, but we've got 2 or 3 people that have stuck around for the last couple days, and the number will grow as time goes by.

Couple tips for new joiners:

1. Set up a push to talk key. Youll find this under Configure->Settings->Enable the Advanced Menu Option in the bottom left hand corner of this dialog box->ShortCuts. I'd suggest using a button that will not interfere with your playstyle. Buttons that would be pressed by fingers critical for movement, and attack, for instance, are a bad idea.

2. Socialize. Chances are pretty good you are sitting on the server with someone you've never met or played with before. That can be odd. But keep in mind, they are just like you. Tired of playing against bots, pubstomping, and just general wanting a better challenge. Talk about your favorite characters, builds, strategy, etc. Strike up a conversation, find some shared views, and start playing.

3. Build up your Steam friends from the PUGrnauts - As you meet people, add them. When they see you playing, they will be more likely to hop on the PUGrnauts mumble to play with more people on their friends list. I've already seen this start happening.

4. Be Patient - Take the entire userbase of the game, divide that by PC only, divide that be people actually willing to go check out the forums, and divide that by those that actually decided to look at this post. Very slim pickings, for now. Word of mouth is how these things blossom.

Thanks again for joining, and hope to play with you soon.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:40 pm 

Great to see you’re using Mumble!
Well chosen!

I may thus also come and join you some time soon!

/e:
As a suggestion, maybe just waiting and grouping in Mumble is not the (only) way to go.
Maybe create a steam group, which adds events whenever a match is scheduled (in some minutes in the future).
The TF2 mixed scrim group I’m in does it that way. (IDK/Ne 6v6 Newbie Mix)
Posting events will show as a popup by default for the groups members, thus is more prominent than when you’re not in Mumble at all.

/e:
Also, please consider linking to the official Mumble website, and not a third party hoster. mumble.info is the official website.